Hawk.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
As I was sitting here at my computer just now, I glanced out at my patio where I put food & water out every night for the assorted creatures that live nearby.

I saw something I have never seen before in the 28 years I have lived here. A large hawk, very beautiful, was eating food out of one of those dishes. I thought hawks only took live food.

It was keeping a close watch on me, and when I started reaching for my cell phone camera, he was gone.

John

How close did you look. Maybe it was eating live food. As in the squirrel that was eating your food.

We had one that caught his breakfast near our birdfeeders. Hawks are amazing flyers.

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 58
We've had one show up either on the post of our bird feeder in the back yard or on the mailbox out by the street. Haven't seen it in a while.

Had to shoot it through the screen

Attachments

• P1120076.JPG
    P1120076.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
Had a very large hawk swoop down and nail a squirrel in my front yard. I was washing the car and saw the whole thing. The hawk just sat their starting at me with this very unhappy squirrel in its talons not 50' away. Very cool.

How close did you look. Maybe it was eating live food. As in the squirrel that was eating your food.

You know, you might be right. He was standing beside the dish munching away on something. He did have something in his right main gear as he took off. I couldn't tell what it was. I wish I could have got a picture.

I was about fifteen feet away, through the sliding glass door.

John

The local golf practice facility is inhabited by a family of red-tails. Great fun to watch them hunt and interact, and listen to the variety of calls they produce. Yesterday the big one was sitting on top of the light pole next to the short-game area, dismembering and eating something he had killed.

A few weeks ago he swooped under the covered porch to claim a hapless chick (small species) that had fallen from the nest. Patrons were scrambling to stay out of his way.

youtube 'peregrine' for the king of dive-bombers (aka the Stoop). World's fastest animal.

Driving to the airport a few weeks ago I saw a red tailed hawk attempting to fly away with a rather large rabbit. Silly bird should have paid closer attention to his POH... he was definitely exceeding MTOW!

The hawk is back. It's rainy and windy, but it is sitting on a branch right above my patio. I took two pictures of it with my cell phone, only to discover Verizon has changed it's methods. With my old phone, that finally died, they charged me 25 cents to send it to my e-mail. Now they want me to purchase a package starting at $9.00 per month in oder to do that.

I'm a cheap old retired guy, I ain't paying no stinking $9.00 per month to do what I used to do for 25 cents.

The hawk appears to be waiting, so it must have been a mouse in the food dish that he got yesterday. Back for more. Mmmmm....good micies....."bite their little heads off......nible their tiny feets."

John

Back