Hawaiian Vacation

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Other than when I was in the Navy I have been to Hawaii 15 years ago when we got married. We went on a 2 weeks, 4 island tour and had a great time. Some things could have been better, but it was fun and we are thinking of doing it again.

The reason for this post is to gather other ideas. We really liked Maui & Kauai and would certainly consider parking one week on Maui and/ or one week on Kauai. Any suggestions on condos and just staying in one place for 2 weeks? I want to rent a plane and fly for a couple hours so Maui seems a great place to do that. We will rent a car on either island. Just looking for suggestions, hotel / condo names, ect.

Ultimately, we are gonna renew our wedding vowes if she will have me again. When I just asked her she said she would think about it, so that's a good sign. :lol:

Thanks for any input in advance.

Aloha. :rolleyes:

You really want to go through that again?

J/k. :)

We found the place we are staying in on HomeAway. They are a link to the property owners who rent homes for a day or for months. We have been very pleased with the way things worked out. You can find places on every island in Hawaii.

:rofl:

It's cheaper to stay married.

:rofl:

You do know why divorce is so expensive right?

It's worth it!

At least that is what my divorced friends say.

Not an option for me. I can't iron.

We found the place we are staying in on HomeAway. They are a link to the property owners who rent homes for a day or for months. We have been very pleased with the way things worked out. You can find places on every island in Hawaii.

Good call! I like what I see! Thanks!

Other than when I was in the Navy I have been to Hawaii 15 years ago when we got married. We went on a 2 weeks, 4 island tour and had a great time. Some things could have been better, but it was fun and we are thinking of doing it again.

The reason for this post is to gather other ideas. We really liked Maui & Kauai and would certainly consider parking one week on Maui and/ or one week on Kauai. Any suggestions on condos and just staying in one place for 2 weeks? I want to rent a plane and fly for a couple hours so Maui seems a great place to do that. We will rent a car on either island. Just looking for suggestions, hotel / condo names, ect.

Ultimately, we are gonna renew our wedding vowes if she will have me again. When I just asked her she said she would think about it, so that's a good sign. :lol:

Good choice. We go annually, using frequent flyer miles.

I STRONGLY suggest using VRBO.com. For example, we are going to Kauai this time, and we got a four-bedroom townhouse for only $100 a night. Crazy. And it is walking distance to Poipu beach.

By comparison, a one-room hotel in nearby Ocean City, MD goes for about $250 a night. It is cheaper for us to vacation in Hawaii.

The Royal Waikiluan on Maui is very nice, probably murdered the spelling.
Fly the huge seacliffs....

Geico, if you use VRBO, you will find that some of the units are actually in resorts. I never book through the resort, itself, because you will be fleeced. Only do that if you want a traditional hotel room.

VRBO has those, plus homes, townhomes, etc.--with or without maid service.

Wedding vows, schmedding vows. You're going there to pick up another state for your map, aren't you? :yes:

Anywhere on Kauai is good but I would stay away from the expensive lodging up north in Princeville or Hanalei unless that is your kind of thing. My wife and I visit Kauai often and will be there mid January. PM me if you'd like some restaurant or activity recommendations.

I tried to rent a 172 and they will but only with a CFI to ride along with you.

Send me an email with the dates you are looking at. I own several timeshares that I rent out by the week. Maybe I can help.

Craig

Maui Aviators was the plane rental I used back in September. No hassle, descent equip and prices (for Hawaii) and unreal scenery! The area around Makena beach (that side of the island) was the nicest.

Good choice. We go annually, using frequent flyer miles.

I STRONGLY suggest using VRBO.com. For example, we are going to Kauai this time, and we got a four-bedroom townhouse for only $100 a night. Crazy. And it is walking distance to Poipu beach.

By comparison, a one-room hotel in nearby Ocean City, MD goes for about $250 a night. It is cheaper for us to vacation in Hawaii.

Another great source!

Thank you, and thanks to all who helped! We appreciate it!

Aloha! :D

Maui Aviators was the plane rental I used back in September. No hassle, descent equip and prices (for Hawaii) and unreal scenery! The area around Makena beach (that side of the island) was the nicest.

I've been looking at them.

Thanks for the Pirep. :D

Can't really suggest an FBO on Oahu if you're borrowing the plane for more than a day.

If you fly, check out the northern cliffs of Molokai. Always makes me feel lucky I live Hawaii. :)

Can't really suggest an FBO on Oahu if you're borrowing the plane for more than a day.

If you fly, check out the northern cliffs of Molokai. Always makes me feel lucky I live Hawaii. :)

Do the rental planes require / supply life jackets?

Geico, you might want to fly with an instructor or tour pilot. There are a lot of reporting points whose pronunciation and location might be a bit much for a single flight after a checkout. Also, with a CFI or tour pilot, s/he can give you tips on where to fly specifically, given that day's weather.

Geico, you might want to fly with an instructor or tour pilot. There are a lot of reporting points whose pronunciation and location might be a bit much for a single flight after a checkout. Also, with a CFI or tour pilot, s/he can give you tips on where to fly specifically, given that day's weather.

Na, I'll just fly low and no one will notice. :rofl:

I plan on sitting down with the rental company and going over the map, airspace, details. I use live near "C" so I am comfortable with radio work. Pretty sure their ATC is use to main landers butchering pronunciations, if not they will be by the time I get done. :lol: Depending on what they suggest I will have to fly with a CFI anyway for a check out ride, may just kidnap him or her for a few hours. :lol:

I would like to do a few T&G's on other islands.

I wonder if my 496 has their airports? :confused:

Last edited:
Na, I'll just fly low and no one will notice. :rofl:

I plan on sitting down with the rental company and going over the map, airspace, details. I use live near "C" so I am comfortable with radio work. Pretty sure their ATC is use to main landers butchering pronunciations, if not they will be by the time I get done. :lol: Depending on what they suggest I will have to fly with a CFI anyway for a check out ride, may just kidnap him or her for a few hours. :lol:

I would like to do a few T&G's on other islands.

I wonder if my 496 has their airports? :confused:

You'll have a great time! Heck, if I were lucky enough to live there I would probably quit my day job, get my comm, and fly every single day!

Back