Hawaii

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
Hi, Just joined the forum,
I'm going to be in Hawaii (first time) for a Festival and have an opportunity to do some flying around Oahu. I won't have time to get checked out to fly to other islands. I'm booking a plane for around a two hour flight.
y
I'm looking for recommendations on what to see and also any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of.

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right area so I might post in one other section -- please forgive the newby:goofy:

Too bad...The other islands are where the real magic is at!

Which airport are you flying out of?

If you have two hours, that's plenty of time to do a lap around the perimeter of Oahu, which takes roughly 45 mins in a single. Then go ahead and cut through the center and fly the center of the island through Wheeler's airspace, over the Dole plantation, to the North Shore and then back down to Kalaeloa Airport or HNL depending on where you are flying out of.

Welcome to the forum,enjoy the flight,give us a pirep with pictures please.

Sorry for the late PIREP on my Hawaii flight.
So the flight experience was a bit humbling... I was not ready for a busy Class B airspace which other airspaces abutted up to it. The CFI ended up manning the radios while I flew. I have so much work to do in this area of flying. Since coming back from Hawaii, I have been listening to LiveATC (which I highly recommend to new pilots or pilots wanting to get better at com) and flying into more class C airspaces.

Keep in mind, contrary to what your common sense might tell you, if you decide to head for the mainland SFO is closer than SAN.

Back