Hawaii

mapasha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N1915W
Headed to Hawaii (Big Island) in March. Anyone have any experience renting an airplane on the Big Island? Looking for info from someone who has been there and done that. Plan is to circle the Big Island and do some photography and maybe go to Maui for a day.

......Plan is to circle the Big Island and do some photography and maybe go to Maui for a day.

Well if you're circling, or straight and leveling, or even taking off or landing, u darn well better have an AoA indicator or you're as good as shark food.

I can only imagine what a "fun" flight would be with that dude based on the other threads.

Tropic Bird was awesome. Amazing tour around Big Island, friendly, they let me get the most out of the trip, and weren't preachy or salesy or anything else. Just there for navigation, communication, safety, and interjecting cool tour-guide facts.

Well if you're circling, or straight and leveling, or even taking off or landing, u darn well better have an AoA indicator or you're as good as shark food.
Exactly. You WILL run out of gas 15 hours earlier than you would if you had an AOA and then you will stall and spin on your base to final turn and land hard and you will DIE!

Based on what I learned about AOAs from a certain Hawaii-based CFII….

I rented a 172 out of Kona. It was a quick checkout flight and then we flew it all over the island. It was a blast.

I would highly recommend it. I had to look at my logbook, that was in March of 1996. Damn I'm getting old.

For $1300 + Cirrius rental I would skip that and get a sea plane rating there.

Another vote for Tropicbird. I rented a nice yellow 182 and flew from Kona, over Maui to Molokai for a landing there. Beautiful to fly along the huge sea cliffs there (2200'). Terry was a great guy to fly with and could pronounce all those same-sounding place names. :)

Kalaupapa, Molokai

DSCN1843.jpg

Last edited:
Back