Hawaii trip!

Dave Siciliano said:

Hope it doesn't come across wrong.

Best,

Dave

Dave, only thing "wrong" is, you're there...

...and I ain't!

SCCutler said:
Dave, only thing "wrong" is, you're there...

...and I ain't!

I'd love to go back, too. It is quite the beautiful place (once you get out of Honolulu....).

Dave Siciliano said:
Gee Chris, I'm sure not trying to make anyone jealous. Just to share what a special place this is so those that may have the opportunity to go somewhere can consider this. Since this is such a neat web board, I share a lot of family stuff I wouldn't dream of posting elsewhere. I really enjoy hearing about other folk's experiences before we go somewhere also. I received a weath of wonderful tips from other board members before heading out here.

Hope it doesn't come across wrong.

Best,

Dave

Oh NO!! No problem at ALL!! I didn't mean to come across that way. You're making us jealous.... in a good way...... is that possible? Anywho.. Yes.. Keep on posting those pics and sharing stories. It gives me something to work toward with going back to school -- so I can afford to go back someday! :D

Keep having fun and keep telling us HOW you're having fun!

-Chris

wsuffa said:
I'd love to go back, too. It is quite the beautiful place (once you get out of Honolulu....).

I agree completely. When we went there on our honeymoon last december, we did the whole trip backwards. We started in Maui, then spent the last part of the trip in Honolulu. Left a bad taste in my mouth with all that traffic, etc. after being in MAUI!!! I felt better after looking at pics from Maui, though. :D

-Chris

Dave - Hawaii vicariously is way better than no Hawaii at all. Keep it coming and thanks!

Here's a pic of the grounds after dark from our area and one of this morning's sunrise. We'll be out sailing this morning. Sometime later, we'll post some more.

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 072606 013.jpg
    072606 013.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 072606 015.jpg
    072606 015.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Which airport?

Dinner cooked at our table.

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 072306 028.jpg
    072306 028.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 072606 011.jpg
    072606 011.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 11
Anyone like dolphins? These are called spinner dolphins and would jump out of the water and spin in the air. We were overjoyed to come across them.

Attachments

• 072706 017.jpg
    072706 017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 072706 018.jpg
    072706 018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Our crew: Lindsay (my eldest niece on the trip at the helm) with Christine (the captain) supervising. Pic 2 is yours truly at the helm of the 50' Santa Cruise boat named Scotch Mist II which won some races several years ago! What a kick!!

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 072706 013.jpg
    072706 013.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Dave sailing the Scotch Mist II a 50' Santa Cruise 072706 011.jpg
    Dave sailing the Scotch Mist II a 50' Santa Cruise 072706 011.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Dave Siciliano said:
Which airport?

Aloha,

Dave

That'd be Honolulu Int'l / Hickam AFB, would it not?

===

Hallowed ground, there...

Yep Spike!

Here are a couple sunset picks from last night.

Dave

Attachments

• 072706 019.jpg
    072706 019.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 072706 021.jpg
    072706 021.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 10
Dave Siciliano said:
Anyone like dolphins? These are called spinner dolphins and would jump out of the water and spin in the air. We were overjoyed to come across them.

I've heard they make damn good eating too.

Dave Siciliano said:
Yep Spike!

Blind hog, acorn, you know the drill...

Dave Siciliano said:
Here are a couple sunset picks from last night.

Dave

Man. It must suck to be there. Hope you can endure the suffering it entails.

PS- Any openings for adoptive nephews in the Siciliano universe?

We just found out there was a small earthquake yesterday: like 4.2 level. Were were out on the sail boat and didn't feel a thing. The paper said, no big deal. 19 of 'em this week but the others were all around 2.2. Tropical Storm Dennis has not pretty much pooped itself out, but we'll get some rain today.

Aloha,

Dave

Well Spike, we suffered through another day in paradise yesterday! Lots of sun burns are slowing us down a little.
Remenants of tropical storm Daniel hit the island yesterday and it was raining lightly or misting most of the day here, but fair on other islands.

We went parasailing and the girls loved that. We took movies, so, no pics to post. Dinner was at night, we tried a couple evening exposures of the hula dancers, but they didn't come out. Also, did some shopping.

Today is pretty open. Have a Luau tonight but the day is open. Weather looks better. Only a couple more days and we'll be headed back to Big D. We'll check in later.

Aloha,

Dave

A Cessna 177 was reported missing off Maui yesterday. Student and instructor.

We swam and shopped most of the day, then, hit a luau. Couple pics.

We, or should I say, Uncle Dave, got a little burned out on the commercializm here. Everyone wants a tip, even for doing what they are supposed to be doing and some are pretty aggressive in letting you know you are 'supposed' to tip them even when it was explained this service was included in your hotel package. Big disclaimer was stuck in front of us before we could parasail. Probably would not have normally signed it--waived everything but willful misconduct or gross negligence. Presented when we got to the beach ready to go and never brought up before--if one didn't cancel 24 hours ahead, charged for the whole thing--or at least they'd try.

Overall, we like things a little more laid back than they have been here. There was/is a line or crowd for almost eveything fun and the activities people don't mind telling you to show up more than a half hour early for many things to get decent seats. Some things one can reserve--like restaurant times which have been held to. The Luau last night at the Hyatt, we got there 45 minutes early and were at the end of a very long line--became longer behind us. These were expensive seats. Others told me other luaus had assigned tables.

Oh, we were told we had purchased the last four seats a week ago; couple at the table yesterday was told told the same thing and they purchased them yesterday morning; another couple chimed in and was told the same thing a couple days ago.

It is wonderful, scenic and great activities, but traffic is congested, shoppers are pretty aggressive when you are out and be prepared for slow service because everyone's busy.

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 072906 042.jpg
    072906 042.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 072906 046.jpg
    072906 046.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Well, all is not perfect in paradise. We've been waking up at night and not feeling well in the morning. I thought it was just me, but my nieces have had some issues; so, I checked the AC filtration unit (amoung other things--this has caused me some problems elsewhere). I've attached a pic. It's no wonder we all aren't sick. This has put me under before, but I never expected it at a place this nice--until now.

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 073006 002.jpg
    073006 002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Oh, I's SURELY have a talk with management. It's not like the hotel industry is lacking for revenue these days.

BTW, I had to have a little chat with a hotel manager on Friday. As of 3 PM, my room had still not been cleaned and the girl I saw in the hallway said "Will be clean, not my job". The room was cleaned by 5 (except for the piece of toenail I spied in the AC unit....

Dave,

Sorry to hear that things are starting to run down for you over there. Maybe if there is a 'next time' you should try going in a non-peak season. My wife and I were in Maui in December of last year and it was like a walk in the park. Lahaina wasn't even extremely busy in the middle of the day. Of course, we stayed at Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei, so we weren't really close to the major 'resort' type places, but as you have noticed, there really isn't anything very far away on Maui. Just don't let the small bad things outweigh the good things when you are remembering the trip in the future.

-Chris

bbchien said:
Dave, Tortola or Virgin Gorda is more my speed....

Bruce: once again, we're on the same wavelength. I really liked the Bitter End Yacht Club and I can land Mr. P-Baron close by--Virgin Gorda. Maybe a hop over to another island one day.

Thought we might go by Harbour Island in the Bahamas on the way back--Charlie Melot speaks so highly of it. We'll see, plenty of time. Think if I came back here I'd hit Kawaii--a little more laid back and not quite so hectic. Don't know, with my Army buddie in Honolulu, I might have to stop there shortly.

Still, this have been a great vacation. We're going to soak up some more sun before leaving in the afternoon for the flight back to big D.

For those of you that might come out, reserve the luau well in advance; especially if you want to go to the most traditional one--it's currently booked until the end of August.

Aloha,

Dave

Dave:

What you write, is what Celia (my wife, the consummate trip planner and researcher) determined; when we went to HI, we went to Honolulu (which we liked a lot, it was what it was, and that's just fine), and to Kauai, which was extremely nice, decidedly uncrowded, and we experienced none of that hostility to mainlanders about which we had been warned by some. It was outstanding. We stayed on the south end of the island, the less "snooty" end (as opposed to Princeville, which we visited, and teh appeal of which utterly escaped me).

Also, took a heli tour which was magnificent; remind me to loan you the tape.

Be safe, holler when you're back and rested, lunch on me.

SCCutler said:
Dave:

What you write, is what Celia (my wife, the consummate trip planner and researcher) determined; when we went to HI, we went to Honolulu (which we liked a lot, it was what it was, and that's just fine), and to Kauai, which was extremely nice, decidedly uncrowded, and we experienced none of that hostility to mainlanders about which we had been warned by some. It was outstanding. We stayed on the south end of the island, the less "snooty" end (as opposed to Princeville, which we visited, and teh appeal of which utterly escaped me).

Also, took a heli tour which was magnificent; remind me to loan you the tape.

Be safe, holler when you're back and rested, lunch on me.

Thanks Spike. Before I come back out this-a-way, I'll do some consultin with ya.

Aloha,

Dave

Well, we're heading back to Dallas later today. Checkin out soon, so, probably won't post until I'm back.

Aloha

Dave

Sorry: We are heading out today, not yesterday as I abruptly posted in the morning yesteday. We spent most of the day yesterday on the road to Hana. Attached a couple pics. Probably won't be able to post again until back in Dallas.

Aloha,

Dave

Attachments

• 073106 002.jpg
    073106 002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 073106 021.jpg
    073106 021.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
We arrived in at 4:55 A.M our time in Dallas which was just before Midnight Hawaii time. None of us got much sleep on the plane; just came home and hit the sack. The girls are still sleeping.

What a great time we had. We'll do a little shopping here in big D and one of the girls wants her hair cut but someone she goes to each year when she's here. We also have a couple places we really like to go to eat while here.

Let me get my wits about me, and I'll post a bit more.

Best,

Dave

Oh, I'm not sure how many of you are aware of it, but several years ago, Texas passed a law that recognizes the awardees of specified military medals: Pearl Harbor, Medal of Honor and Purple heart awardees in specific. They send a special license plate to you that is four bucks a year and you get certain privileges--one is free parking at D/FW. Doesn't seem like much, but it really is special to have others see my special plate on the car and this morning, I just signed the parking ticket after the attendant asked if I was the Purple Heart recipient. Parking would have been $16.00 per day.

Anyway, after I was wounded, I wasn't going to accept a Purple Heart award as a brash 21-year-old--I was just doing my job <stated in ardent-testosterone laden voice at the time> . This is another place my Dad gave excellent counsel: he said, Dave, take it; you will always remember that and if anything happens later if life from your injuries that award will show it was a combat injury. (Just like John Carey's dad probably counseled him that he might run for political office one day and to put in for ones even if he caused the injury--just kidding).

Anyway, it really is heart touching that our state government recognizes this; have had several folks make nice comments about it and several friends still point out how much they think of me having that award.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Epilogue:

Don't know if I mentioned it, but toward the end of our trip, we decided upon nicknames that were representative of experiences during the trip.

The first to earn a name was my niece Lindsay:
One day when walking through an out door mall, she noticed large fish in a pond weren't moving. We had passed by several larger ponds with live fish in them, and she observed "the fish must be sleeping".
As it turned out, they were artificial and her younger sister was very quick to point that out; so, Lindsay became –“sleeping fish” for the rest of the trip!!

Bonnie's name in Hawaiian was Poni and that became her moniker. She also saw a shark while snorkeling and exited the water Bugs Bunny style with all body parts out of the water except hands and the bottoms of feet until the boat was reached, so, “shark girl” was appropriate.

Brit got a terrible sun burn; so, she became sunshine! She’s also kinda sensitive and we didn’t want to make fun.

UD (short for Uncle Dave) mixed up the days and thought we were leaving a day earlier (from Maui) that what was scheduled with the hotel and airline (we all packed the night before and luckily double checked the next morning before checking out); so, my nom-de plume became, "What day".

Anyway, these have become very affectionate monikers that we share and others don't have any idea of what we speak.

Secrets out now.

Best,

Dave

Glad you enjoyed it. We've been to Hawaii a few times, and have always loved it.

Back