Hawaii questions

There is no "bad" time to go to Hawaii.

And yes, Maui is a good place to start ... or maybe to finish? You should spend a couple of days on the "Big Island" and see the Volcano and such.

As for places to stay, I've used the rentals from these folks on Maui 3 times now over the last 20 years and have NEVER been dissapointed. I plan on using them again the next time I go. They have properties they manage all over the island.

http://www.mauibeachfront.com/maalaea/banyans.html

Pack very light (3-4 days worth of clothes), stay in a condo with a washer/dryer, do a little laundry every couple of days. You'll thank me later. ;-)

Have fun!

Brett

Anthony said:
We're thinking of going to Hawaii in November. Is that a good time to go? I've never been there nor have I started doing any research yet, but Maui sounds like a good start. I Scuba dive also. Does anyone have any experience with some Dive Operations on Maui? There are certainly a lot in the PADI directory.

Oh, and don't forget that there is a Hard Rock Cafe in Maui (and Kona, and Honolulu). Also, Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Lahaina isn't bad, either. Just thinking about suggestions for you is making me want to go back to Maui. It really is our favorite island.

Ah, Hawaii!

I envy you the trip (and where was my "Uncle Dave" when I was growing up?!).

One often hears about Hawaii being very costly; while I'd never call it "cheap," it is awful darned nice for the money. If you wanted expensive, you could try Tahiti, where you pack your suitcase full of money instead of clothes.

Have fun!

Well guys, since so many of you would like to be there and can't be, may I suggest a commemorative Margarita be served at the Hard Rock Cafe one evening? Since y'all can't be there, I'll go out of my way to drink it and let y'all know if them Hawaiians can make a good one <g>

Would that be O.K.? I don't usually drink (much), but I'll break protocol just this one time because I like this group so much!!

Best,

Dave

A ways up the volcanoe drive on Maui, try lunch at the Kula Lodge & fly into Hana plus alongside the seawall slopes on the northern side of Molokai.

Hey guys; more questions.

The girls would like to go sailing. I'd like them to learn to sail, and if they like it, do a sailing trip next year. Anyone have a good recommendation for a one or two day sailing course in Maui where we actually handle a boat and go out for a at least few hours? We'd need some expeinece on a 40 footer if were were going to island hop next summer.

Best,

Dave

Well folks, we are finally heading to Maui a week from today. Plan to flying up to Wisconsin Wednesday to get my nieces and will return Thursday. The following Saturday, we wll be winging our way to Honalulu. The girls have a lot of things they want to do. We will see what shakes out. Will try to send an occasional pic and post.

Aloha!

Dave

Have fun on Maui. We're on Kauai this week (posting from the condo). 3rd time to this island. Two years ago we flew with Tropical Biplanes. Tomorrow we're talking a helicopter ride. I haven't been up in a helicopter since ROTC summer camp in 1973. Let's see, should I wear my Tropical Biplanes ball cap on the helicopter ride? :D

Wow Ghery, we just missed you! That would have been fun, to fly together out there somewhere!
Any tips on things for us in Maui? I've printed the posts on here and will be reading up on the flight over.

Best,

Dave

Maui, where to start?

Maui Aviators. You may have too many girls with you to get by without getting checked out so you can go without a CFI. But, as you know, this is the way to see the area. We flew with them 2 years ago. Kahului to Hana (T&G), on around the island to Lanai (T&G), across to Molokai to Kalaupapa (T&G - bring your crosswind landing A game) and then back to Kahului.

Drive to the top of Mt. Haleakala. The view is tremendous. Some time we'll actually get up early enough (hard to do when Polynesian Paralysis strikes :D ) and get up there in time for the sunrise. It is supposed to be spectacular. An option is one of the outfits that drives you up and then you ride a bicycle down. Haven't done that, either.

Road to Hana. You need to do this once (we've done it twice, slow learner). Beautiful scenery, but not good if you are in a hurry (mostly 15 mph speed limit for a reason).

SCUBA lessons. We stayed at the Westin Maui and they had an introductory SCUBA lesson. Started in the pool, and if you passed that, you got a fresh air tank and the group dove off the beach. I found that it was easier (less work) than snorkelling).

Skip Molokini. My pictures from the flight are on a computer at home, but from 1500 MSL the water looked to be covered with trash. Actually, it was all the people from all the tour boats floating in the water. What a crowd. But, then, our first experience snorkelling in Hawaii was Tunnels Beach on the north shore of Kauai and I haven't seen anything to compare since.

Beaches, scenery, relaxation. You (and your neices, lucky girls to have an uncle like you) will enjoy it.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks guys! We have plenty of time, but I'm beginning to make reservations and plans.

Sorry Toby, more nieces would mean a different trip or they would have to chip in!

Snorkeling would be something the girls would certainly enjoy. Flying around the island sounds great!

On Oahu, we certainly want to get to the Pearl Harbor area because Uncle Dave would really like to see the memorial.

Dave

There is some really great snorkeling off of route 31 (can't remember the local road name) near Kehei pretty much at the end of the road. We were told it was called the 'fishbowl', but it's so touristy there it may go by another name. It's a huge eddy pool cut into a black lava field, with a small sandy beach area.

I concur, skip molokini.

Things you should not plan on doing:

1) "sea kayaking". It's not a real Kayak. It's tupperware. And you're out on the big bad ocean, often with the only available coast being pumicite shore (i.e. not a good place to come in if you run into trouble). If you do decide to do this, make sure you have reviewed the course carefully and that the guide can get you out of the water if needed. A word here about the guides offered by some of these excursion companies: they are often not qualified in what they are doing with you, and are there because every young person has like 6 jobs and they were not called by the other five that morning when the tour company called them in. If, in the aforementioned example, you get to the in point and find Kato Kaelin is your tour guide, think seriously about going. I'm a pretty decent Kayaker, and I had trouble overcoming all of the inherent problems with this trip/guide.

2) Biking down Haleakala. It sounds like a wonderful idea, but they don't tell you that you have to share the road with cars and tanker trucks, that it's wet toward the top year round (and, frankly, the oil comes out of asphalt when it's hot and wet enough), and most importantly, a dozen people a year DIE trying to ride down the mountain. On my trip I almost became #13 when the bike I was riding had a rear tire blowout on a switchback with just an 18 inch guardrail separating me from Jesus.

3) Luaus generally. Weak drinks, bad food, and high prices. Need I say more?

I do suggest that you do your homework on the road to Hana trip. There are a ton of off-the-beaten path ventures you can make (most on privately held land, but you can always beg forgiveness if caught), and you will find some of the most beautiful waterfalls, pools, ponds and views you will ever see. Ignore the car rental agent's warnings and go the full loop. It's not for the weak driver, as some sections of the 'road' can be narrow, blocked by livestock, muddy, etc., but if you leave first thing in the a.m. and make a bunch of stops on the way to see nature in its splendor, you will be coming through Makena as the sun starts setting, with the lights coming on below and ahead of you and the sun still bouncing off of the outlying islands. It's very pretty. Oh yeah, and don't expect much from the Hana dining experience. I regretted not bringing a sack lunch.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks guys! We have plenty of time, but I'm beginning to make reservations and plans.

Sorry Toby, more nieces would mean a different trip or they would have to chip in!

Snorkeling would be something the girls would certainly enjoy. Flying around the island sounds great!

On Oahu, we certainly want to get to the Pearl Harbor area because Uncle Dave would really like to see the memorial.

Dave

There is some really great snorkeling off of route 31 (can't remember the local road name) near Kehei pretty much at the end of the road. We were told it was called the 'fishbowl', but it's so touristy there it may go by another name. It's a huge eddy pool cut into a black lava field, with a small sandy beach area.

I concur, skip molokini.

Things you should not plan on doing:

1) "sea kayaking". It's not a real Kayak. It's tupperware. And you're out on the big bad ocean, often with the only available coast being pumicite shore (i.e. not a good place to come in if you run into trouble). If you do decide to do this, make sure you have reviewed the course carefully and that the guide can get you out of the water if needed. A word here about the guides offered by some of these excursion companies: they are often not qualified in what they are doing with you, and are there because every young person has like 6 jobs and they were not called by the other five that morning when the tour company called them in. If, in the aforementioned example, you get to the in point and find Kato Kaelin is your tour guide, think seriously about going. I'm a pretty decent Kayaker, and I had trouble overcoming all of the inherent problems with this trip/guide.

2) Biking down Haleakala. It sounds like a wonderful idea, but they don't tell you that you have to share the road with cars and tanker trucks, that it's wet toward the top year round (and, frankly, the oil comes out of asphalt when it's hot and wet enough), and most importantly, a dozen people a year DIE trying to ride down the mountain. On my trip I almost became #13 when the bike I was riding had a rear tire blowout on a switchback with just an 18 inch guardrail separating me from Jesus.

3) Luaus generally. Weak drinks, bad food, and high prices. Need I say more?

I do suggest that you do your homework on the road to Hana trip. There are a ton of off-the-beaten path ventures you can make (most on privately held land, but you can always beg forgiveness if caught), and you will find some of the most beautiful waterfalls, pools, ponds and views you will ever see. Ignore the car rental agent's warnings and go the full loop. It's not for the weak driver, as some sections of the 'road' can be narrow, blocked by livestock, muddy, etc., but if you leave first thing in the a.m. and make a bunch of stops on the way to see nature in its splendor, you will be coming through Makena as the sun starts setting, with the lights coming on below and ahead of you and the sun still bouncing off of the outlying islands. It's very pretty. Oh yeah, and don't expect much from the Hana dining experience. I regretted not bringing a sack lunch.

Best of luck to you, it's really wonderful in the islands, and I hope you can get off Maui for a while!

Back