Having the devil's own time trying to make hospital and FAA communicate!

J

J Taylor

Nearly a year ago, per the request of the FAA, I did an awake/asleep EEG, paying for it out-of-pocket. (Ouch.)

I requested the records from the evaluating neurologist. He said they don't keep the records, talk to the hospital's medical records department.

Okay.

Talked to the medical records department, they said they don't deal with the public directly, go through a third party service called Datafied, which costs 70$.

All right...

Datafied screwed up the order, and after months of back and forth and poor communication, finally sent me a disc image of the EEG and a write up, which I dutifully passed on to the FAA.

FAA, after weeks and weeks, sent me a letter saying they still need the EEG.

Called the FAA to tell them they have the EEG, and they tell me it's improperly labelled, and undated, therefore they cannot add it to my file.

Good grief. (Holding back tears of frustration.)

Went back to the AME to see if he could obtain the records, he said he can't obtain them but when I obtain them (if that ever happens) he could look them over to make sure they are ready for the FAA.

What to do? It's been nearly a year since I've had the EEG done, and I still don't have what I paid for. Am I doomed to go through the third party service again, only to wait in misery as they screw it up again? Why is it so difficult to access my records? Aren't they "mine"? It seems as though the FAA and hospitals are uniquely designed to not communicate information to one another, with the poor grounded pilot doomed to be the hapless translator.

Has anyone else been through this?

Appreciate any guidance on this,
Cheers,
JT

I wish I had an answer for you. It seems that you are finding the answer ... and that is, just how (in)effective our government is.

This is certainly not meant to be a political statement as I'm convinced that were totally hosed at this point regardless of who is in charge. The old axiom is being proven everyday that tells us, "we get the government we deserve."

I was in the ER last year at a ****ty community hospital. I immediately started trying to get my records anticipating my next medical. For months they were "unavailable" until I contacted the state licensing agency, the hospital's accrediting board, my state rep, and the hospital's COO. You might have to push hard. Your state may have a law regarding providing medical records, timelines, etc. Look it up and remind them.

Last edited:
Your hospital should have a patient advocate.
For the hospital I dealt with about a family member, they were useless. Like an HR department is there to protect the company, the one I dealt with was there to protect the hospital.

Take Bruce's advice.

For the hospital I dealt with about a family member, they were useless. Like an HR department is there to protect the company, the one I dealt with was there to protect the hospital.

Take Bruce's advice.

Tell them if you don’t get what you need you are suing the hospital, hopefully they protect the hospital and get you what you need,

Wow! Can't believe this story. I run an imaging center in Texas and we get absolutely POOPED on if the squealing surgeon, patient or cancer center doesn't have their info in less than 2 hours:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

If report is not correct (undated and unsigned or other error), demand an addendum report. Problem is you didn't go through your insurance ... your insurance is looking for ANY excuse not to pay and WILL RECOUP payment for ANY report error ... that ALWAYS gets a response/addendum from the hospitals ...

Hire an attorney. “ACOs” like that need to be put out of business.
We get the government that we TOLERATE.
This. Also another thing that wouldn’t hurt is contacting your congressman in a situation like this. Most Congress critters have a services tab on their website that allows you to fill out a form for assistance in dealing with a federal agency. I am currently in the middle of this process in dealing with a difficult postmaster.

Your doc should just be able to get it for you for the price of asking. For my patients if they need a copy of something from their records or a test result raw or printed- I just call and get it- or have my staff do it. I’m in the in so to speak and make that stuff happen with little effort. Patients trying to get it all by yourself is a fools errand, too many layers of bs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back