Haven't Flown In Years What to do?

maverick5582

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Maverick
I have not flown in many years. I do not have a copy of my original private pilot license. How can I get a copy of my license?:confused:

Welcome. I'm guessing since you have a computer, you can navigate to faa.gov?

There is a link there for 'airmen certification'. Somewhere in there is another link to getting a new copy of your cert.

<edit; Ted above scabbed me by mere seconds!! :yes:>

I have not flown in many years. I do not have a copy of my original private pilot license. How can I get a copy of my license?:confused:

Take heart in the fact that you'd probably need to replace the old one with a new plastic certificate anyway if you've been out of flying long enough to have been issued a paper certificate.

Uh... Don't forget the flight review and medical (assuming you're not going for Sport Pilot or Gliders)

I was in the same boat almost I haven't flown in a long time but unlike you I had my cert. just went in did an address update and they sent me a new plastic card. Fairly quickly too.

Went thru something similar.

Instead of requesting a replacement, I did some sort of Address Change (since I had moved a bunch of times) and they mailed me the new plastic one without a fee, or much less fee than the lost/replacement would have been.

I also thought I lost my logbook, but luckily found it before I started my BRF/Rust Knocking Off with the CFI. He and I then decided to get in the habit of copying pages of my log book and emailing them to my self so I have a record, and, I now request CFI's that I ride with for BFR's, any training, rental checkouts, etc... to record my logbook totals in their logbooks.

I really don't know if it will do any good, but at least that way, I have an "affidavit" of what my logbook said, on such and such a day after flying with a CFI. Assumes I would be able to find the CFI in the future.

All Tomcat time, Maverick? :wink2:

I wish! I was lucky at the time I completed my pilot training. The company I worked for let me use their Cessna 207 anytime I wanted to. I logged over 250 hours in the 207. I do not think you will find anyone today who will give you 250 hours in their aircraft just because you work for them.

The name Maverick is the name of my own company, Maverick Motorsports, no relation to Tom Cruise in any way. I would like to have his P-51 though.:wink2:

I haven't seen that movie in more than 20 years but Don't remember him flying P-51 .
Welcome back to flying .

I haven't seen that movie in more than 20 years but Don't remember him flying P-51 .
Welcome back to flying .
In real life, Top Gun star Tom Cruise is reported to own anywhere from three to five private jets. This includes a $20 million or £10 million Gulfstream that he purchased as a wedding present for his wife Katie Holmes – who was then quoted as saying: ”It’s like a bus, only quicker.”
On the other hand and much to the chagrin of environmentalists, it’s been reported that Cruise once sent one of his private jets to pick up groceries for Katie. That along with the fact that Cruise never flies commercial, has gotten him dubbed “emissions impossible” by the environmental lobby.
Critics aside, Tom Cruise has held a pilot’s license since 1994 and he often pilots all of the private jets that he owns with his Gulfstream IV being reported as the most luxurious as it’s fitted with a Jacuzzi and even a screening room.
However, Cruise’s favorite aircraft is reported to be his P-51 Mustang, an American long-range single-seat fighter dating from World War II which has the words “Kiss Me, Kate” painted on the side. No word on which aircraft is Katie Holmes’ favorite!

If it was years and years ago, it'll be your SSN.
If it was years ago, it will be your SSN. But if it was years and years ago (like my 1970-vintage number), it will be a sequential number starting with Orville Wright's #1.

If it was years ago, it will be your SSN. But if it was years and years ago (like my 1970-vintage number), it will be a sequential number starting with Orville Wright's #1.

My original 1974 issue was my SSAN, but I have leading zeros in my SSAN, so the truncated it and dropped the zeros. In the late 1990s when I started adding to my Private Pilot, the Feds issued a "random number" instead of my truncated SSAN.

Back