Have you seen many of these?

Wow, the single engine turboprop B-17 must be one of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever laid eyes on, while the 5 engine version looks simply disfigured.

Wow, the single engine turboprop B-17 must be one of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever laid eyes on, while the 5 engine version looks simply disfigured.

Interesting. I was thinking almost the exact opposite.

BELL XP-63 PINBALL MANNED AERIAL TARGET?

Never heard of a manned aerial target. So, does that mean its a training aid to be shot down (pilot ejects?) or was it supposed to decoy enemy fighters?

Never heard of a manned aerial target. So, does that mean its a training aid to be shot down (pilot ejects?) or was it supposed to decoy enemy fighters?
Yeah, how would you like being handed that assignment. "You want me to do what, exactly?" :rofl:

Maybe it's motivation for fighter pilot students that aren't getting the missile avoidance maneuvers down...Motivation...

When I was at Tyndall AFB they did that with unmanned IIRC ?F106's? They had a series of maneuvers they put the plane through that would keep it from being hit. One of the instructors said the most unnerving part was training new remote pilots. You had to just sit there in the pilot seat and let them fly the plane and take control only if it it went from really scary to absolutely terrifying. He said close to the ground he flew with one hand lightly on the eject handle and the other covering the stick.

Yeah, how would you like being handed that assignment. "You want me to do what, exactly?"
Does the ejection seat work? Can I shoot back? Where's that payraise?

No, it was designed to allow US airman trainees some experience in shooting at actual, manuevering aircraft. It had thicker skin, and the other aircraft were to shoot what were termed "frangible" bullets. There were lights on the aircraft that would flash when the plane was hit (hence the nickname, "Pinball").

The designation on the other web page is incorrect, it was the RP-63. Here's a modeling web site on the plane:

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?EST-72142

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Cool pictures. How 'bout this one: RYAN FR-1 FIREBALL

Does he have it shut down and feathered??

IIRC, there is one in the USAF Museum at Wright Pat

Cool website. My favorites: Single turboprop B17 (cool) and the Wildcatfish.

No, it was designed to allow US airman trainees some experience in shooting at actual, manuevering aircraft. It had thicker skin, and the other aircraft were to shoot what were termed "frangible" bullets. There were lights on the aircraft that would flash when the plane was it (hence the nickname, "Pinball").

Ron Wanttaja

Kinda makes one wonder if they'll bring back the concept when they run out of F-4 and F-14's to shoot at. Maybe take an old A-10 and add extra armor to it and laugh as it tries to shake F-22s and F35's in a gun fight. :D

It's interesting how the SE B-17 didn't look strange- everything except the cockpit was in proportion as if it were like the planes most of us fly. It really didn't even look bigger.

It's interesting how the SE B-17 didn't look strange- everything except the cockpit was in proportion as if it were like the planes most of us fly. It really didn't even look bigger.
It's photoshopped. Someone on another forum found the identical picture in a Pete Bowers book, and it shows all five engines.

Ron Wanttaja

It's photoshopped. Someone on another forum found the identical picture in a Pete Bowers book, and it shows all five engines.

Ron Wanttaja

The mixture of real & fake threw me. Still interesting pictures.

Ron Wanttaja

I don't see a single-engine B-17, so maybe they got rid of it when they found out it was fake? I did see the five-engine version flying and the other four engines apparently feathered...

I liked the ARUP plastered with Sears and Roebuck logos. Odd looking plane, though Jack Northup wouldn't think so. Found this. Looks like it flew pretty well. Hmmmm, wonder if the plans are available.

I don't see a single-engine B-17, so maybe they got rid of it when they found out it was fake? I did see the five-engine version flying and the other four engines apparently feathered...

Must have been removed because it used to be there. Too bad it was fake, cause it was a neat looking plane.

Back