Have you flown a J-3 Cub?

Have you flown a J-3 Cub?

• Yes, and I have a tailwheel endorsement.

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • No, and I have a tailwheel endorsement.

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Yes, and I don’t have a tailwheel endorsement.

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • No, and I don’t have a tailwheel endorsement.

Votes: 60 38.7%

• Total voters

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
It seems like the majority of pilots at some point flown a Cub, and I haven't. So this got me wondering, is it just the pilots that I normally talk to or is it the same for most?

Please vote in the pole above. All votes are confidential (your name will not be shown).

Edit: If you flown an L-4, that counts (close enough).

Last edited:
I think you're going to get a skewed result to your poll here as 'most pilots' have SJS and burn kerosene.

Nope. Got my TW in a Citabria, flew a carbon cub once, but never a j3. Wouldn't mind flying a Champ or a Luscombe.

Last edited:
I would point out that since I flew a Cub (both the civilian J-3 and military L-4 versions) before the TW endorsement came into existence, I didn't need one then, and I'm grandfathered now.

I think you're going to get a skewed result to your poll here as 'most pilots' have SJS and burn kerosene.

Hopefully it's at least going to be close to the truth.

I would point out that since I flew a Cub (both the civilian J-3 and military L-4 versions) before the TW endorsement came into existence, I didn't need one then, and I'm grandfathered now.

Ditto. (The J-3, not the L-4)

Flown both. Champ is a better airplane, except for the door. Inflight doors are awesome all little planes should have them.

I haven't flown one. I own a Champ... I'd really like to compare the two.

I got my tailwheel endorsement in a '46 J-3 Cub. I logged some tailwheel training in a Champ. I thought the Champ was easier to fly and land than the Cub, but the Cub was definitely more memorable and a special experience.

Getting my T/W endorsement now in a PT-19 but would like to fly a Cub one day for no other reason then to say I did.

I did my primary training in a J-3 in 1970. I love that airplane. I also flew Champs and T-Crafts, but liked the J-3 the best.

The poll needs to be modified to include "no tailwheel endorsement - Tailwheel PIC prior to April 15, 1991".

The poll needs to be modified to include "no tailwheel endorsement - Tailwheel PIC prior to April 15, 1991".

Yeah I forgot about that when making it, not sure how to edit it now.

Champ is a better airplane, except for the door.

Hardly a fact. Aeronca tried to make the Champ better than the J-3. It succeeded in the ergonomics and cockpit room department, but failed in the flying characteristics and fun department. They each have their fans for different reasons. Clearly the J-3 fans feel more strongly about the merits of the Cub, given the ~$15K premium for the Cub compared to the Champ. :) I have good experience in both. I owned the Champ I learned to fly in. I've also flown J-3's a good bit. Cub vs. Champ has been debated before by pilots. ;)

I have 50-60 hours of cub time. 30 or so of champ, 380+ Flybaby. C140, C120, 50-60 Pitts.... On and on.... 200+ Bonanza too I guess.... And more..... But never an L4, would love to though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said Yes, but technically haven't flown a pure J-3. Closest had been converted to an O-200 and an electrical system. Have flown a Sport Cub, and 150 and 180hp Supercubs also.

Brian

Same here. Not all of us require an endorsement.

My first CFI job was in 1972, instructing in J-3 Cubs out of a grass field in Massachusetts; that airport (sadly) ceased to exist many years ago. Also got my SES add-on later that summer in a 85HP J-3 on floats. Lotta fun. (I didn't check a box on the poll because I too am "grandfathered", having logged tailwheel PIC time well before that 1991 date.)

Hardly a fact. Aeronca tried to make the Champ better than the J-3. It succeeded in the ergonomics and cockpit room department, but failed in the flying characteristics and fun department.

I would have said the same at one point as I learned to fly in a J3 and was therefore born, at an early age, a "Cub" guy. But many years later I came upon a good deal on a Champ. Granted it was a 90 horse EC and it didn't look as pretty but the darn thing sure did grow on me.

As to flying characteristics, all those old planes have their idiosyncrasies, the trimmable stab on the Cub is a real plus but when you really learn to fly the Champ it's every bit as much a joy. Adverse yaw sounds like a bad thing but in the end it's just another means of control.

Flown the J-3 and J-2 (on floats), personally I have no fondness for them as they are as uncomfortable of a plane as I have been in and require the most gymnastics to get out of. The PA-12 and PA-18 are much better IMO.

I've never had the chance to fly in a Cub, but I've flown alongside one once. I have flown my friends PA-12 Supercruiser though. Both are nice flying planes and a lot of fun.
I don't have a tailwheel endorsement either, after I bought my Champ I got some instruction in it, then I soloed myself.

Got my tailwheel sign off in a no-electrics J-3. Most "smiles per gallon" of anything I'd ever flown - especially on warm Summer late-afternoons. Loved doing fast and tight patterns on tiny grass strips. Loved how the lower door acted like an AOA indicator.

No tail wheel endorsement,but have flown a j3 on floats.

mmmm yup. 1949. Flew it off our hayfield.
Landed out in another field. Caught the wing tip on a fence post turning around and ripped the fabric.
Learned how to repair fabric properly in 1949, too :D

Never flown a Cub, don't have a tailwheel endorsement. But most of my hours are in tailwheel aircraft.

It seems like the majority of pilots at some point flown a Cub, and I haven't. So this got me wondering, is it just the pilots that I normally talk to or is it the same for most?

Please vote in the pole above. All votes are confidential (your name will not be shown).

Edit: If you flown an L-4, that counts (close enough).

I flew a few lessons -- long enough to decide I don't want to buy or fly one.

I have over 30 hours in a Cub. I still rent one every once in a while instead of flying my 150. They are fun to fly, but a pain in the @ss to get in and out of, and reaching for the carb heat if nobody is in the front seat to pull it for you is a bit of a pain also.

One flight in a Cub. I know this is heresy, but it was so slow that I was actually bored while flying it. I like flying Citabrias though.

:yeahthat:

Same here, but when getting recurrent in a Super Cub to get ready for the Pawnee, someone thought it prudent to provide the endorsement.

One flight in a Cub. I know this is heresy, but it was so slow that I was actually bored while flying it. I like flying Citabrias though.

No reason to climb above TPA. Makes the flight more enjoyable to watch the scenery pass by.

I flew one for the first time last April...about 2.5 hours of tailwheel training.

Way to small for me. Maybe the backseat has more legroom but the front seat definitely doesn't. I'd have no desire to own one, unless I could customize the location of the seat(s).

Other than that it was relatively fun.

...before there was such a thing as a tailwheel endorsement. I have flown a bunch of taildraggers, including a 1927 Monocoupe that was older than I was.

Bob Gardner

No reason to climb above TPA. Makes the flight more enjoyable to watch the scenery pass by.

It's probably more fun to fly Cubs outside of congested areas, where the minimum altitudes are lower.

It's probably more fun to fly Cubs outside of congested areas, where the minimum altitudes are lower.

That's kinda the same for any plane, but I know what you mean.

Back