Have you ever walked the airport?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
This entire week has been total crud for flying. So I took the dog with me to check on the plane and give him a good walk. So I said what the heck, let's walk around the place. Learned some interesting things.

Now I know what PAPI, REIL's and runway lights are like right up close, had to keep the dog from peeing on them :) Definitely would not want to hit the PAPI. The plane, at least the prop would not hit the REIL'S if overrun dead center.

When landing R31 there is grass on the arrival end. But like way, way more than I remember from the air...weird! Would also be handy arriving the other way and had to overrun.

Maybe most important, there is actually a very usable grass landing area on the SE end. From above it doesn't look long enough but with that extra 400ft of grass on the arrival end it is way more than enough. I walked this area carefully and didn't find any holes. I also found the best spot to get back on to main runway. I'm adding a landing and takeoff here to my list for next year!

I now understand why so much wildlife. I have seen the creek that runs across the airport and under the runway but never realized how much water is moving through there. Cosmo rustled up 8 deer as we got closer to the creek. Last year was Coyotes so i was walking carefully.

There are fields at the departure end R13. Thinking engine out on takeoff the field straight ahead makes the most sense...but the farmer just plowed (not cultivated) at a right angle...man would that landing be harsh and probably flip. However the field about 20deg left is cultivated parallel to the direction of an emergency landing and even goes up hill slightly.

All stuff that looked way different from the air. Usually during takeoff and landing I never have to really see this stuff.

Back to wishing I was flying

I used to walk race tracks to get an idea what was happening.

I have walked a few landing strips to measure them and get a feel for the surface.

Deer on the runway would be a concern.

No walking, but frequently cruise the golf cart around the field to see what's what and who's doing stuffs.

I've walked most of it while picking up pieces of crashed RC planes. I have driven all over the property on my ATV. Of course, I'm on the airport advisory board so I suppose I should know the grounds.

So here is a follow up question:

Let's say I try a takeoff or landing on that grass area beside the paved runway and get a little airplane booboo...will insurance cover it since it's not a listed/marked sod runway?

Walked it, sure. Pulled a steel bar and chain link drag behind my 4-wheeler a lot more times than that. In winter I make a strip on the creek ice by packing and grooming with a snowmachine. After it sets up I can walk it. Usually do to set or reset spruce boughs as side markers.

Last edited:
So here is a follow up question:

Let's say I try a takeoff or landing on that grass area beside the paved runway and get a little airplane booboo...will insurance cover it since it's not a listed/marked sod runway?
Probably a question best asked of your insurance agent, with your policy in hand.

I’ve had some that would, and some that wouldn’t.

Now if only I could walk the runway at the house, well I’ll first try to make water into wine, than I’ll move on to that lol

Attachments

• 0E610A27-EE8A-4E68-B11A-2C15AA30CAFA.jpeg
    0E610A27-EE8A-4E68-B11A-2C15AA30CAFA.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I did a FOD walk on the Carl Vinson, does that count?

We did a "FOD prevention" check on our van before rolling on the SLF runway at Kennedy Space Center. Everybody got out and picked little rocks out of the tire tread at the gate!

We did a "FOD prevention" check on our van before rolling on the SLF runway at Kennedy Space Center. Everybody got out and picked little rocks out of the tire tread at the gate!
Centerline of the SLF, and last wheel stop mark

Attachments

• 20170302_120812.jpg
    20170302_120812.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170302_121019.jpg
    20170302_121019.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 36
I've walked it, I've biked it, I've xc skied it, I've snowshoed it, I've maintained it, chainsawed its edges, I've drank beer on it and I've sat on it and watched meteor showers. It's also right off my back yard. :)

Centerline of the SLF, and last wheel stop mark

Yep, got one of those too! A T-38 landed while we were there as well...quite a sight to see it pull vertical on takeoff.

IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Back