Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
AKA My day in aviation or the less glamorous side of flying…

Reupped for another 5 years today. Took half a day off work. Sat in traffic in a storm. Went to a house converted into an office. Walked into what used to be a bedroom, dropped my undies and put my junk into the hands of an 80 year old man. I got no hang ups about getting naked, I usually look forward to it. But my company wasn't ideal and doing it for bureaucracy's sake kind of grinds on me. Good news is, I still have 20/20 vision. Weigh 30lbs less than 5 years ago, blood pressure is WAY down and I'm cleared to fly another 5 years(I get one more 5 year term). Was in and out in half an hour. Waited for 15, handled business for 15. $125 bucks later, I'm done. Wasn't really a big deal, but more of a WHY did I just do that? Why I'm still explaining a kidney stone I was never diagnosed with 2 decades ago, I don't know. Doctor was a good guy, pilot, does nothing but medicals, is a senior AME. While I was waiting, saw a sign for the local pilots club. Surfed to their website on my iPhone… the members are older than my parents, not as interesting anymore. Couple of ATPs waiting on 1st class medicals, one has driven quite a way to consult with a Senior AME, I have no idea what "Senior" means. I'm wondering why I'm here. I have a plane that I use mainly to for weekend trips to make seeing my mother doable(10 hour drive, 2 hour flight), it almost feels like a crime and I have to prove my innocence. I have well over 6 figures into this. With apologies to Dr. Bruce, I know nothing's wrong with me yet while I'm sitting there for 15 minutes I go into temporary hypochondriac mode thinking about how much I've spent on training, fuel, planes, upgrades, regulations, maintenance, I have to be able to go help mom out, I can't "fail" this….. and if one little thing pops up it could all be for not, I hope the sugar in the cup I'm about to pee in is OK. I check my BP at home but what is white coat syndrome? Is this worrying going to make it worse? My buddy just lost his medical, he's a year younger than me…..AAAHHHH. Do I just read Dr. Bruce too much? Ahhh. Anyway, been flying for 5 years now. First medical was no big deal, I was $200 in it with nothing to lose. Now the stakes are higher. Glad my paycheck doesn't depend on going through this every 6 months. I don't know what it is about my junk that makes flying safer. TSA or AME, they all want to grab it before I defy gravity :D Ya'll have fun, here's to hoping they get rid of the medical requirements for typical GA PPL stuff in a hurry.

Where is my "thumbs up" or "like" button for this?

Ahh, here we go :thumbsup:

Haven't had to get undressed for an aviation medical.
Could be I'm too old or ugly or haven't had enough of the right ailments to make the doc interested.

Could be I'm too old or ugly or haven't had enough of the right ailments to make the doc interested.

I didn't for my first one. He could tell I was sort of caught off guard when he asked me to drop em'. And explained that he was doing a hernia check. He did look me square in the eyes while he was doing it and talk about my alma mater . :D

I didn't for my first one. He could tell I was sort of caught off guard when he asked me to drop em'. And explained that he was doing a hernia check. He did look me square in the eyes while he was doing it and talk about my alma mater . :D

Was he checking on a reported hernia or related symptoms? I ask because I had hernia surgery a couple decades ago and it seems to be a non-issue with my AME.

Was he checking on a reported hernia or related symptoms? I ask because I had hernia surgery a couple decades ago and it seems to be a non-issue with my AME.

Nope, other than stitches in my finger 30 years ago from getting it slammed in a door, a severe sun burn, and a kidney stone nearly 2 decades ago(that was never diagnosed, I just admitted to it). I have no other medical history.

Maybe I'm just better looking? :D

Makes me feel like a kid trying out for football when they do that.

Do Dr's really believe a grown man can have a hernia and not know it?

Is it possible to have one and not know until some old guy with bad breath sticks his fingers up your balls? :dunno::rolleyes2:

I got my first medical in 1984 and don't remember ever dropping my pants:dunno: I've used 4 different doctors over the years and none of them seemed interested in checking for hernias. :rolleyes:

Oh thank lord you are healthy, you won't be crashing into my house due to medical incapacitation now that you have that piece of paper. Such a relief.:rolleyes2:

Makes me feel like a kid trying out for football when they do that.

Do Dr's really believe a grown man can have a hernia and not know it?

It is very possible that a grown man can have a hernia and not admit it.

-Skip

During my last medical, 3 weeks ago the AME said he could either feel my junk and give me the finger or just ask if everything was okay. I asked if we would kiss afterwards and he said no but we would exchange phone numbers. For $125, it was cheaper that hiring it done on the other side of town.

I've had exactly 1 AME check for a hernia. Never went back to that perv.

Old men in the locker room at the gym love to walk around naked. I don't get it. Oh well. The first time I saw my AME he checked for the hernia as well. I went back a year later to get a 2nd class medical and he never checked that time.

Glad you got another 5 years!

He was just trying to show you who's boss.
The hernia exam isn't so bad but the digital exam is a different story...and it gets worse when the doc shows you both his hands in the middle of the exam! :eek::hairraise::eek::mad:

Come to Texas for your next Medical.

There are a couple known GoTo docs here that charge $40 and are notorious for just looking at you, collecting the fee and handing you your slip.

I went to one for mine.
He actually handed me the eye chart and said read that bottom line.
"ABCDEFG"

Then he held it away from me a few feet and said Read it again.
I think I was probably looking at my shoes as I repeated what I had just memorized and then was congratulated on my 20/20 vision.

There is another that I haven't used but he told a friend of mine (older pilot)
"I guarantee everyone will pass the 3rd class medical" <-- That is a 2nd hand quote so may be exaggeration, lie, whatever.

Glad I didn't get the hernia exam. I cant stand all of the pointing and laughing. These are supposed to be professionals dammit! :)

Last edited:
The hernia exam isn't so bad but the digital exam is a different story...and it gets worse when the doc shows you both his hands in the middle of the exam! :eek::hairraise::eek::mad:
Yeah - you don't want to find out she has both hands on your shoulders during that exam.

Never had to drop my underwear,had one ame who wanted to give me a prostrate exam,refused of course.

Refusing the prostate exam is an outstanding idea. Helps one maintain the appropriate level of denial (and the medical) right up to the point where it is far too late for effective treatment.

And yes, I have seen a grown man naked. Even changed his diapers (all of the radiation had pretty much destroyed the nerves in that area).

This definitely gets a "like." I hear some people ask why folks care about eliminating the 3rd class and how it will help aviation. This is it - it's just another hassle to deal with in an industry filled with hassles.

Someone needs to start a database of what Dr. does what, and make an Iphone/andriod app.

I would hate to go see every Dr. in Charlotte and they all grab my balls.

I'm sorry I can't get over the name of this thread. Do you like movies about Gladiators?

FAA medical exams is not the place for preventive medicine. Pilots should make having a P-check decision with their regular doctors.
Refusing the prostate exam is an outstanding idea. Helps one maintain the appropriate level of denial (and the medical) right up to the point where it is far too late for effective treatment.

And yes, I have seen a grown man naked. Even changed his diapers (all of the radiation had pretty much destroyed the nerves in that area).

I get a physical every year from my primary care Dr, much more comfortable with my own Dr ,as he knows my history.

Back