Hauling Checks - a book based on Freight Dogs

I may just drop it into the PoA Book Club...

I am the author. Thanks for your interest.

Enjoy reading,
Alex

Just ordered your book from Amazon. I wish people would support my books like yours. Good luck.

Looks like a must read.

You like Ernie Gann?

Thanks everyone for the interest in "Hauling Checks," I hope when you read it you'll laugh as much as I did when writing it. So far the response from readers has been great.

I haven't read "Fate is the Hunter" yet, but it's def on my list of books to read.

Thanks again,
Alex

Thanks everyone for the interest in "Hauling Checks," I hope when you read it you'll laugh as much as I did when writing it. So far the response from readers has been great.

I haven't read "Fate is the Hunter" yet, but it's def on my list of books to read.

Thanks again,
Alex

Actually you should go to Amazon.com and buy it now. It's an amazing book.

Is it your videos of flying an ice-laden Commander that I've so thoroughly enjoyed over the years?

Holy Crap I am in STITCHES!
I swear I have met some of those people!
I have seen some of those airplanes!

Waiting for mine to come in the mail from Amazon!

Cool video, probably someone from Central Air that made it

Do you remember the with the twin coming into a NE airport early am I think it was, on top..... came on down and I think everyone said it was at mins (or maybe worse) and you could see maybe 3 runway lights on arrival.

Last edited:
Got my book. Looks good. I am happy to support a fellow author.

Just bought it. It had better be worth it!!!:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

:D

Finished. Very entertaining.

How realistic is the amount of flying with significant squawks?

I frequently have one minor squawk per long flight if I'm paying attention. Rarely anything that's significant, normally just something that needs to be addressed when I get home. It's gotten better - when I first got the plane it seemed like every flight I was finding a new squawk, testing a fix on a previous squawk to see if it worked or not, or both. I've been going after little problems hard enough that it's become less of an issue, but I doubt that the freight companies are as interested in that sort of thing as a private owner is.

I'm interested in reading the book, it sounds insightful. Any book club member willing to loan me it when done?

Finished. Very entertaining.

Glad to hear you enjoyed my book. Thanks!

As to flying with a significant amount of squawks, it depends on who you talk to. While I took it pretty far in the book, and most companies aren't like this, there are def some shady operators out there. Not just in freight, but in all sectors of aviation.

For those that haven't read it yet, here's a excerpt:

Before long, the storms were right in front of us. I scanned the radar to find the path of least resistance through the line. As we entered the weather, the turbulence started to kick up, and heavy rain began to hammer the plane. I tightened my lap belt and turned up the cockpit lights to drown out the lightning. The plane got tossed around like a rag doll as the updrafts and downdrafts took us.
"Ask for a block altitude," I told Chip. This would allow us to ride the waves through the storm easier without having to maintain a constant altitude. Chip didn't say a word. "Chip, you hear me?" I yelled. I looked over and realized he was catatonic. He sat there in his seat, staring straight ahead like he was looking into the face of a ghost.
I got the block altitude myself. It seems like no matter who I fly with I always get stuck doing all the work.
Damn worthless copilots!
The lightning flashed as bright as daylight all around us as I continued to fight the storm. The lights in the rear cargo area flickered on and off as the boxes bounced around back there hitting the light switch. I watched our airspeed as it fluctuated wildly up and down, continually making power adjustments to keep the plane within tolerances. Saint Elmo's fire crept up the windscreen, and the radios blared with static interference.
That's when I smelled the s***, literally. Chip had s*** himself.
The weather was over before long as we punched out the backside of the line but the s*** smell stayed for the rest of the night. What was worse was that, when Chip came out of his catatonic state and started speaking to air traffic control again, he started crying on the radio, sayingthings like "Tell my parents I love them," and "I'm too young to die."
"Will you calm down?" I said. "You're spilling your placenta all over the radio."
I had to pull his headset cords out of the mic jacks to save us from further embarrassment.

www.haulingchecks.com

The Co is a classic character. I could definitely see him on the silver screen!

I got my copy and read it in an evening. It was a very entertaining story. I hope most of it is Fiction.:yikes:

Thanks David! I looked up your book, too. Looks like a great book for kids and I'm keeping it in mind for a gift idea.

That would be great. Both our books have a unique way of telling the story of flying. Mine is juvenile fiction, yours is, well a combination of both fiction and I assume nonfiction. Your characters are well developed and your main character obviously has a lot of time on the stick.

Freightdog, fun book, i really enjoyed the read, thanks.

Sent from my iPad

I liked it. :) Short, but a pretty good read. The mental image of The Co, standing on the wing taking a bow, still makes me chuckle.

Can I get mine autographed? It's the Kindle edition... :D

If anyone is interested I have a copy of the book. Wasn't a fan of it. I'm willing to send it to another PoA'er to save them the $10. PM me if you want me to mail it free of charge - this book is not going to take up real estate on my bookshelf!

Back