Has anybody ever put Horton wintips on a Cessna 150

I've seen it, and I imagine it would assist in the slow flight regimen. As in all things, it depends. Do you need to get it into really short strips? If you want your 150 it to climb better put in a bigger engine. If you want to get that much faster about the best you can do is sell it and buy a faster airplane. It is a 150, after all.

I took my training in one. Thought it really looks cool.

With the $600 to purchase the tips you need to figure shop time to install them (they do not come predrilled) and then shop time to complete the logbook and the Form 337.

So the actual cost will be above $1000. On a Cessna 150 the effects would have to be minimal at best.

ive always felt that the benefits of modified wingtips on a 150 didn't outweight the negative points. the thing already stalls at a pretty low speed and has fine short field landing performance. with attention to weight and DA you can still pretty comfortably fly it off 2000-2500 ft. strips. plus with the modded wingtips you can't spin them. and you've got more crap hanging out into the air so you cruise slower.

ive always felt that the benefits of modified wingtips on a 150 didn't outweight the negative points. the thing already stalls at a pretty low speed and has fine short field landing performance. with attention to weight and DA you can still pretty comfortably fly it off 2000-2500 ft. strips. plus with the modded wingtips you can't spin them. and you've got more crap hanging out into the air so you cruise slower.

I sure hope you can operate a 150 with or without wingtip mods in and out of 2500'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure hope you can operate a 150 with or without wingtip mods in and out of 2500'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comfortably. obviously you could get it in the air under most circumstances in 1000 feet, but it's nice to have a little extra.

comfortably. obviously you could get it in the air under most circumstances in 1000 feet, but it's nice to have a little extra.

Right -- though can any wingtip mod to a low powered 150 reduce the t/o run much more than 50'?

If that's his margin, he's better off investing in another airplane. Better yet, a helicopter.

Right -- though can any wingtip mod to a low powered 150 reduce the t/o run much more than 50'?

If that's his margin, he's better off investing in another airplane. Better yet, a helicopter.

like i said, the stall speed is already plenty low.

i suspect most of these mods get sold because people get used to flying 150's over gross and then want to boost the pitiful takeoff performance. they dont realize that carting around an un-needed 60 or 70 lbs of gas or going on a diet or getting all the junk out of the baggage etc. will help out a lot and not really cost anything extra.

plus with the modded wingtips you can't spin them.

No you cant intentional spin them. I belive it has to be placarded "intentional spins prohibited"

like i said, the stall speed is already plenty low.

i suspect most of these mods get sold because people get used to flying 150's over gross and then want to boost the pitiful takeoff performance. they dont realize that carting around an un-needed 60 or 70 lbs of gas or going on a diet or getting all the junk out of the baggage etc. will help out a lot and not really cost anything extra.

But where else can I put the 3 quarts of oil, 8 dirty rags, 3 ancient AFDs, 12 old sectionals, couple of empty coke cans, old blanket, and signal mirror?

Are those Horton tips like the Madras droop tips? We bought a 172 with the Madras tips and removed them because the airplane couldn't be spun with them there, and since we're a flight school we do a lot of spinning. Once they were off and replaced with the standard tips, we could see no difference in any performance area from when they were on the airplane. I think much of their "value" was just marketing hype; if they really had any desirable effect the OEMs would have started using them.

Dan

No problem with spinning a 150 as long as the
AD has been complied with (change out the rudder stops).

No problem with spinning a 150 as long as the
AD has been complied with (change out the rudder stops).

not true if the airplane has been modded with aftermarket wingtips that have not been certified for intentional spinning.

Back