Hartzell Prop Problem

Your mechanic serviced the propeller hub as required with grease. What you are seen is the extra grease that is slung out by the spinning. It should stop, but it it doesn't you may have a bad hub seal. Check around the prop hub for signs of a rubber seal sticking out. You may have to remove the prop spinner to do a good inspection. Make sure and mark spinner before removing it as some are shimmed for a proper fit. The shim is on the front of the hub and may look like a piece of paper.

Stache

On at least some greased props you are supposed to open one grease fitting and apply grease to another. If you apply grease without providing an escape path, you can damage the seals. Perhaps this is what happened to your prop. I don't believe what you've experienced is anywhere near normal or acceptable, even if it's only temporary.

lancefisher said:
On at least some greased props you are supposed to open one grease fitting and apply grease to another. If you apply grease without providing an escape path, you can damage the seals. Perhaps this is what happened to your prop. I don't believe what you've experienced is anywhere near normal or acceptable, even if it's only temporary.

This happened to me with a Hartzell three blade a number of of years ago. During the annual it had been greased and one of the grease fittings was not opened. Ouch! sent the prop out and had it repaired. Lesson learned. Future annuals at the top of the list, make sure greasing the prop is done properly.

John J

Happened to me on the first flight after overhaul. I was a WEE bit concern. Turn out that grease fitting had failed to close. New fitting and no more problem. But a vew tablespoons of grease sure can make a mess. And it was a light brown not black.

Eric

My prop seal let go right after an annual. Seems they're easy to nick when putting the prop back on. As soon as the oil got good and hot, out it came, 0 vis out the windscreen:) It was very cold out as well, so it just stuck to the wind screen.
Doesnt sound like your problem though, that was engine oil.
Pete

Back