Hard to Insure?

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
A quick search didn't turn anything up...

I have heard recommendations on here before for insurance companies/agents helping with finding insurance on some of the more unique aircraft.

The plane is a globe super swift. I have relatively low (100 hours) TW time and apparently according to AOPA insurance company, i'm no good :sad:

I have heard recommendations on here before for insurance companies/agents helping with finding insurance on some of the more unique aircraft.

The plane is a globe super swift. I have relatively low (100 hours) TW time and apparently according to AOPA insurance company, i'm no good :sad:

I got insurance through the Forrest Agency (written with Chartis) on my E-AB LSA tailwheel aircraft with about 110 hours tailwheel time and no medical.
http://www.forestagency.com/coverage/general-aviation/#!/

Problem with some planes like that is they are old and rare, and hard to repair due to lack of parts. That sometimes means relatively minor damage which would be reasonably inexpensive to repair on newer, more common planes turns into a total constructive loss even for something like a ground-loop. In that case, they're a lot more careful who they will insure. That may be the problem here -- ask them for more details. You should also check with the Swift owners group, as they'll probably have leads on insurers who know the plane better and are less wary of it.
http://www.saginawwings.com/

Last edited:
If you are no good, you should ask what the requirements would be for you to be insured. For low time pilots, many companies will insure while x number of hours dual training and x number of hours solo are occurring as a condition of issuance.

The question was posed.

Ron you make a good point. The owner of the plane went through AOPA because that's what he has on his other aircraft. I'm named insured on his cub. However he knows some of the swift foundation guys and will ask around if AOPA does not come up with something reasonable for me.

You have 100 hrs Tailwheel time and AOPA says no?

Let me tell ya something...I was able to get multiple quotes (reasonable rates) for full coverage (liability and hull) for a SNJ back last year when I only had 75 hrs of TW time. The hull on the SNJ was alot more than a Globe Swift.

Give Tom Johnson (TJ) at AirPower Insurance a call: https://airpowerinsurance.com/

In my experience, AOPAIA is not very aggressive to shop around business or to offer anything that goes beyond cookie-cutter '172 insured with chartis' stuff.

Your agent will probably have to go beyond the standard mass market insurers to get you coverage. There are a couple of companies who for a little bit of extra money are willing to take on higher risks like warbirds or pilots who are low-time in a rather unusual type.

There is an instructor called Sam Swift in Nashville who offers training in those birds. There is also a Swift museum and a type club. May be worthwhile to talk to him and to folks at the club whether they have any referral to an agent familiar with obtaining insurance for a Globe.

Last year, for a while I had the crazy idea of buying one. I waited and the crazy idea passed. The HVAC repair guy for our company is restoring his dads Swift. I hope to bum a ride when he is done.

Terri Branstatre at Northwest insurance.
She insured me in a Pitts with very low time...

Last edited:
Pay cash for the airplane and you do not need to buy insurance. After you have 25 hrs or so you can probably get a good rate if you still want insurance.

Pay cash for the airplane and you do not need to buy insurance.
How is paying cash for a plane going to protect your investment against loss and your assets against lawsuits? Or are you just saying that if you don't finance the plane, nobody will be forcing you to carry insurance? If the latter, that is, from a financial security perspective, an extremely short-sighted position.

Why would an owner living in the midwest possibly need hull insurance? Or should we ask Kent?

How is paying cash for a plane going to protect your investment against loss and your assets against lawsuits? Or are you just saying that if you don't finance the plane, nobody will be forcing you to carry insurance? If the latter, that is, from a financial security perspective, an extremely short-sighted position.

100hrs Tailwheel and nogo in a swift, that doesn't really make sense.

Swift ain't that rare, did you try to insure the hull for some ungodly amount or something???

100hrs Tailwheel and nogo in a swift, that doesn't really make sense.

Swift ain't that rare, did you try to insure the hull for some ungodly amount or something???
That is exactly what I'm saying. No reason you can't get insurance for that unless you have some recent accident history.

My experience over 12+ years in the Maule - I never had trouble getting insurance per se, but rates changed and coverage was dropped by some carriers year to year. I always asked my agent for lowest price and several times had to change carriers to get same or lower cost than previous year. With a somewhat rare a/c and tw, don't hesitate to shop each year if you are not otherwise forced to. Loyalty and renewal business means nothing to the carrier, perhaps has value with an agency/agent.

AOPA was never in the running for my insurance.

Consider self insuring by carrying only liability.

Just some thoughts.

Back