Hard drive backups

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
The fact that my work computer is a Dell laptop prompted me to go out and get an external USB harddrive. OK, well, my wife bought it. It's a Maxtor One Touch and comes bundled with its own backup and synch software. With the discussion involving recoving Spike's data, my questions are these:

1) Aside from backing up mydocs, what other folders do I need to get? I want to ensure my Outlook info is backed up -- including email, calendar and contacts? All of my software is on disks in my possession. There may be some odd drivers or something I'm missing, and of course all of the online updates to Office etc. The external drive is plenty large enough that I can simply back up all of C. Should I just do that?

2) Is the bundled software trash that I should replace with something else?

Keep in mind that while I'm the household's IT director, I'm not really THAT good at this stuff, so use really small words.

Ken,

I have several USB drives from different manufacturers. I use the Acronis backup package which lots of features and works well. I'd recommend it.

I'd use Acronis to backup the entire drive which will allow you to easily recover from a really, really trashed drive in your system/

Ken:

On Windows XP:
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File Settings and Transfer Wizard

Follow the steps to back up an OLD computer, saving the data to a folder or file on your computer, and use the external drive as the holder for that data.

Update monthly (or better, weekly).

Does a full system sweep and looks for anything Windows recognizes as a data file, which will be more than you as a human will necessarily recognize.

Hey, the important thing is that you're doing backup,:yes: which is more than 99 percent of people do. :(

I don't know what software Maxtor is packaging with their drives this week. I usually just buy a plain vanilla drive of the identical type as the internal drive (though the capacity may be bigger) and an enclosure for that drive, and use whatever software I think is best for the particular purpose. Almost always, this is Casper for laptop backups. Others swear by Acronis or other utilities. Each has its advantages.

Maxtor used to use Dantz Retrospect. I always found that to be decent enough software that offered sufficient options. I prefer doing a whole drive backup because of ease of restoration (no need to install apps and updates), but many would disagree with me because of the possibility of copying over malware and system flaws.

My feeling is that even a flawed whole drive backup still contains the Documents and Settings folder, which is where most vital data lives; so it would still be useful if a clean reinstall became necessary. You (probably) can make a whole-drive backup with the included software (I don't recall coming across any backup apps that couldn't do that, in recent memory), or with programs such as Acronis, Casper, or any of a dozen other backup utilities.

Be aware that the included software is designed to be automatically started when the button is pressed, and you would have to manually re-associate that with any other application you may want to replace it with if you wanted to retain that functionality. Depending on how they accomplished the association, this could be a bit of a pain.

As mentioned, I usually use Casper for drive cloning because of ease of use and recovery. Because it makes a bootable clone, downtime is minimal. But unless the actual drive inside the enclosure is one that could be physically installed in the laptop as a direct replacement, there's not as much advantage in using Casper to make a clone, because whatever is on the backup drive would have to be copied onto the internal drive anyway. So one of Casper's major advantages is lost unless the drive is capable of being installed in the machine as a direct replacement.

One more thing I urge users to do if their data is truly precious (as I would assume yours is, because words are your livelihood) is to make a separate, off-site backup of their most critical documents in case both the computer and the backup are lost, stolen, or (God forbid) destroyed in a fire, flood, or other disaster.

Thankfully, if you have a high-speed Internet connection, this is now simple and affordable. There are a bunch of companies who specialize in this. I use Files Anywhere and have always been happy with them, but there are many other good providers, as well. Using this strategy, the local backup serves to minimize downtime in the event of a crash or other loss, while the remote backup is for major catastrophes.

Rich

Last edited:
When I set up the Buffalo backup software, I included the following specific folders:
  1. Destop (some files are downloaded here until relocated)
  2. Favorites (For IE, may be different for other browsers)
  3. My Documents
  4. Outlook Mail Files (within hidden folders)
  5. Outlook Address Files (within hidden folders)
  6. Google Preferences & Auto-entry Data (within hidden folders)
These capture everything I could want or save to without overdoing it.

Ken, the problem with the Maxtor scheme is that it's running windows. It won't help you when your boot track crashes- then you can't get to your USB HD.

FIRST, credit for this goes to Mike Andrews!

You need something that's essentially UNIX OS on a CD- Acronis, god forbid Ghost (Win 3.2 on a CD); you go into setup and instruct your computer to seek boot instructions on the CD drive, boot from the CD, then your HD is just data. Unix then can instruct your Ext. HD to rewrite to the inboard HD.

So, what you really need is to buy, lock stock and barrel, an exact duplicate of your current inboard HD. Put it away.

Create a Unix or other "OS on a CD" image of your HD. Don't do this "automatically" because if you get a virus or a root kit, you don't want THAT on your backup. Only Backup when you have a new subscription or a new sortware install, and when everything's working correctly.

Come the crash, boot on the CD. Rewrite the HD. If it doesn't take, remove the old Inboard HD, replace with new, do the same again, and rewrite the new blank with the image from the outboard HD. This has save my office numerous times.

Thank you, Mike.

Casper has an option for a bootable CD version. I expect it runs a Windows runtime.

Copying the entire drive is impractical. Not only does it take way too long, it makes restoring lost work much more difficult than it would be if you selectively backed up your own data files. IME most folks backup methods don't really consider the process for restoring lost data.

BTW for Outlook, there's a file called outlook.pst hidden in your "documents and settings" folder tree that contains all your local email.

Well, having had to move my system from one computer to another, and having accidentally formatted disk H: after meticulously backing up disk G: once...

I am very pleased with Acronis TrueImage for backups. It does both whole disk backups on a sector by sector basis, as well as file level backups, with unattended operation. Recovery is well thought out as well, as one can browse through the backed up data using explorer and copy the file/folders required back to the source as needed, or one can specify a full recovery.

I take automatic full backups of my system twice a month, and differentials daily, and they all get written to a third disk on my system. Once a month I take that disk and clone it to an external drive. Doesn't waste my time, and my data always exists on at least two physically separate volumes. I archive my personal files to DVD once a month, and that goes off-site so that in the event of a fire/flood/WMD incident, I may have to rebuild the computer but should have a recent copy of my personal data.

What you do should be based on an analysis of how much effort it would be to rebuild your computer and recover your data from other sources, how important the stuff on your computer really is, and how valuable your time is. For instance, I back up my wife's computer once a quarter, just so I can recover it quickly. She really doesn't have any valuable data on it, as my computer acts as a file server for the house.

Copying the entire drive is impractical. Not only does it take way too long, it makes restoring lost work much more difficult than it would be if you selectively backed up your own data files. IME most folks backup methods don't really consider the process for restoring lost data.

BTW for Outlook, there's a file called outlook.pst hidden in your "documents and settings" folder tree that contains all your local email.

I'm not sure I understand.

Casper does take as much as a few hours to make the first clone of a very large hard drive, but subsequent copies only take a few minutes because only the changes are copied.

As far as restoring, the recovery process in the case of hard drive failure consists of swapping the drive and booting up. There's no compression, hence no extraction. It's a bootable clone.

In the event that you lose or mess up a single file or folder, the recovery process consists of navigating to it's copy on the backup drive and copying it to the primary drive.

This is not to say there are no disadvantages. As Dr. Bruce pointed out, the possibility of copying over viruses or system flaws is there. There's also the possibility of losing both drives due to a power event, a bad HD controller, fire, flood, theft, etc.

In addition, the Casper clone is of the drive as most recently copied. There's no way to go back to a date before that. (Well, okay, I guess you could if you wanted to use multiple drives and alternate them like we used to do with tapes; but that's a bit more than most people are likely to do.)

So no, Casper's not the end-all. You still should have data backups (preferably off-site via the Internet or on removable media that's stored off-site). Also, Casper won't help you if the backup drive gets hosed along with the main drive. That did happen to me once a few years ago; although even then, even though the system was corrupted on the backup drive, I was able to use it to recover the user data, downloaded software, and so forth.

In essence, what I'm saying is that Casper is a very quick and easy way to make up-to-date, differential clones of a hard drive that make recovery a breeze in 99 percent of events that cause the main hard drive or the system to get hosed. The key is to clone to a drive that can be physically installed as a direct replacement.

Yes, you can also use the Casper boot disk to boot to an external drive and copy it back to the system drive, but what's the point? Why not just use a physically compatible drive to begin with and lose the extra step?

But hey, everyone has their own preferences for backup, and it truly does my heart good to see threads like this one where the necessity of backup is taken as a given, and only the relative virtues of different backup methods are debated. FWIW, this is my typical minimum backup strategy for SOHO clients:

1. A second, physically compatible drive is installed on every workstation (internally or externally), to which the system is automatically cloned using Casper on a schedule appropriate to the client. I usually schedule it for the late afternoon (right after closing time), so if any problems show up on the system during the day (viruses, etc.), I can either take care of them or tell the client to shut down the machine before leaving so the clone will not happen that day.

2. Offsite backup of critical data is made daily or more often to FilesAnywhere (or to a protected directory on their own Web server or another remote computer that they own, in some cases). Once the initial backup is made, subsequent backups are either incremental or differential, depending on their needs, and take only a few minutes over a high-speed connection. Handy Backup is a good, cheap, simple tool for this. I like the fact that I can set it up to notify me by email when a backup has occurred. Every morning I check a special email address to make sure all of my clients' backups have occurred. If not, I investigate.

3. If the client has a server, it's RAIDed with a hot spare, and critical data is backed up remotely as above. I also like to make incremental backups of the system array in case it's necessary to go back a few days, using whatever method makes most sense given a particular setup.

It's not a perfect strategy, but it's not bad, either. There are other things I'd like to do (periodic archived images of workstations, etc.), but the above is a minimum strategy for small businesses and is designed to balance economy and redundancy, while still providing ease of implementation and recovery in the great majority of cases.

Again, though, I'm happy to see all the recent threads about backup. It does any IT guy's heart good to see backup happening, by whatever decent method.

Rich

OK, so based on the info so far, I have started doing a daily backup of my data files vs weekly as I used to do.

What I'm trying to figure out now is if it's worth it to do a full system backup on a low-end 2-year-old laptop that is essentially disposable equipment if it tanks. I almost certainly would replace it rather than repair it, essentially because it seems I have more money than brains. I work at home, and we have 4 other computers I can use on a moment's notice, if that makes a difference in your answer.

OK, so based on the info so far, I have started doing a daily backup of my data files vs weekly as I used to do.

What I'm trying to figure out now is if it's worth it to do a full system backup on a low-end 2-year-old laptop that is essentially disposable equipment if it tanks. I almost certainly would replace it rather than repair it, essentially because it seems I have more money than brains. I work at home, and we have 4 other computers I can use on a moment's notice, if that makes a difference in your answer.
An image of a freshly installed system, yes. A daily backup of the system, no. All the potential problems you may gather become part of the backup. Should one of them be a problem in its early stage that is invisible in the restore, you've not resolved anything... just delayed its inevitable return.

Given the situation you describe, I am in agreement.

The advantage of an up-to-date, bootable clone of a hard drive is the almost complete elimination of downtime. With four other computers at your disposal (assuming that they can do what you need done), downtime's not an issue. Be obsessive about data backups, though.

So in your case, if your old laptop's hard drive were to die, the proper course of action would be to put a new one in it and install Ubuntu. :p

Rich

Back