Happy Yom Kippur!

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
It's Yom Kippur. Good wishes on this holiest of days. The day of atonement.

(It takes the Goy to post this?)

:D

Seriously. Mazel Tov!

Last edited:
Being of genetic lineage going back to the Celtic Druids I prefer the banquet and orgy that marked the longest night and the blowing of the Rams Horns to speed the returning of the Sun (December 21st in the current calendar)...
Much more meaningful to me than the winter feast days of those Johnny Come Latelys - Jews, Christians and Muslims...

It's not exactly a happy holiday, but thanks for the well wishes :)

That's true. It would be something like wishing a Christian a happy Good Friday. There would be nothing malicious intended, but it just would be... weird.

On the other hand, something like, "May your Day of Atonement be filled with profound regret and misery for your failings" doesn't make for a very nice greeting. I think the more accepted greeting translates as something along the lines of "Have an easy fast." But the Hebrew for it escapes me at the moment.

-Rich

Good Yontiff is what we say to each other. Sorry, didn't want to start a thread saying "Happy Yom Kippur to my fellow MOT". Had to work yesterday. Didn't like it, not one bit.

I checked the parking lot at the 'gogue on the way to grandkid FB game, just to be be sure my pals were atoning. Some need more than others.

Good Yontiff is what we say to each other. Sorry, didn't want to start a thread saying "Happy Yom Kippur to my fellow MOT". Had to work yesterday. Didn't like it, not one bit.

That's true. It would be something like wishing a Christian a happy Good Friday. There would be nothing malicious intended, but it just would be... weird.

On the other hand, something like, "May your Day of Atonement be filled with profound regret and misery for your failings" doesn't make for a very nice greeting. I think the more accepted greeting translates as something along the lines of "Have an easy fast." But the Hebrew for it escapes me at the moment.

-Rich

The usual greeting for Yom Kippur is "Tsom Kal" ( have an easy fast ).

My Yom Kippur was exhausting...I spent the day at Disneyworld with the kids....:D

Thanks Anthony and others!

-Rich

My Yom Kippur was exhausting...I spent the day at Disneyworld with the kids....:D

Or the other is what Ben Said Gmar Chatima Tovah which roughly translates "May you be sealed in the Book of Life"

If that is not atonement I don't know what is!!!

Now that right there was funny:rofl:

Wow, you must have had a lot to atone for. That covers several years, at least. :lol:

If you need even more atonement next year, however, you can try Dorney Park in Allentown -- quite possibly the biggest rip-off I've ever suffered through in my life.

Happy belated New Year, though, in any case.

-Rich

lol. Dorney Park!

I think a day with kids at Disneyworld or anywhere would be enough atonement for anyone. :)

Thanks Anthony and others!

Or the other is what Ben Said Gmar Chatima Tovah which roughly translates "May you be sealed in the Book of Life"

Now that right there was funny:rofl:

Much humor can be found in religion, even in something as solemn as atonement. Here's the Catholic slant on it.

Good Friday is for Christians roughly analogous to Yom Kippur as it is the day when Jesus was crucified and the propitiation actually took place. (There are subtle theological differences between propitiation, or atonement; and other aspects of salvation, such as sanctification, which are more associated with Easter. I'll spare you the details...)

On Good Friday in Catholicism, it's customary to contemplate one's sins, which necessitated the death of Jesus. It's also a day of obligatory fasting and abstinence, one of the requirements of which is that no meat be eaten.

Well, what actually happens in many Catholic homes (especially Italian ones) on Good Friday is that the family is feverishly at work preparing special foods that are served only on Easter (it's considered sort of an informal sacrilege to make them any other time of the year), almost all of which contain meat -- which cannot be eaten because it's Good Friday.

So picture the Catholic family busy at work slicing all sorts of meats and baking special breads (some of which are filled with the meats, as well as eggs and cheese), smelling the tantalizing aromas filling the house -- and not being able to enjoy so much as a taste of any of it!

The second part of it comes a little later in the day, when each family member attempts to sneak a bit of the still-forbidden food without anyone else catching them -- and then feels guilty about it.

That's the Catholic version of Yom Kippur.

In a way, though, the guilt is a good thing. It reminds us of our absolute inability to live up to our standards, and the constant need for humility and self-correction. Just think of guilt as the gift that keeps on giving.

-Rich

It's Yom Kippur. Good wishes on this holiest of days. The day of atonement.

(It takes the Goy to post this?)

:D

Seriously. Mazel Tov!
It would have to take a goy to post that on YK before sundown.

In any event, I had by the grace of God an easy fast, and feel refreshed.

Being of genetic lineage going back to the Celtic Druids I prefer the banquet and orgy that marked the longest night and the blowing of the Rams Horns to speed the returning of the Sun (December 21st in the current calendar)...
Much more meaningful to me than the winter feast days of those Johnny Come Latelys - Jews, Christians and Muslims...
Then you'd love Purim, where it is the duty of every Jew to get stinking drunk.

Wow, you must have had a lot to atone for. That covers several years, at least. :lol:

If you need even more atonement next year, however, you can try Dorney Park in Allentown -- quite possibly the biggest rip-off I've ever suffered through in my life.

Happy belated New Year, though, in any case.

-Rich

My wife has decided we all should get a MASSIVE dose of atonement :D

We are going to Legoland, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Cirque du Soleil, etc...

And the shopping malls are the icing on the cake....

I keep thinking about how much flying I could have done with all that money....

Alon here is an idea for you..

If you are going to legoland in cypress gardens about :15 to :20 away is the famous Jack Brown's seaplane base in winterhaven at the KGIF airport. There you can go for a flight in a Piper Cub on floats with an instructor and have an incredible time ! I do that about once a year during the sun and fun flyin. This year I think the 1 hour including an instructor was under $150.00

http://brownsseaplane.com/

Have fun if you go..

Jon

My wife has decided we all should get a MASSIVE dose of atonement :D

We are going to Legoland, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Cirque du Soleil, etc...

And the shopping malls are the icing on the cake....

I keep thinking about how much flying I could have done with all that money....

Lewis Black's description of his first YK in his stand-up routine is side-splittingly funny.

I won't post because Lewis Black is an acquired taste for some.

One of the faithful was hit by lightning leaving the synagogue here from the same storm that hit my house.

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/pm_14466/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=QKUiqIGc

After I'd heard he survived, all I could think about was the ribbing he's going to take forever from his friends -- over being smote down in the parking lot of the building after atonement services. ;)

Poor guy. Ha. But very funny!

Back