Happy to report...

n741dm

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Don McGilvray
that I successfully renewed my Class 2 medical last week at the age of 63. Each time around it is nerve-wracking, even though I have no known issues. BP remains within normal limits, but I know I would be better off if I could lose 15 pounds and quit smoking. Note to self: "Do it"!

Was so happy to find Dr. C here, as I cannot think of anyone who is as staunch an advocate and advisor. Thanks for all you do for us, Bruce. You are a gem! :)

Don McGilvray
KSFF
Spokane, WA

Don't know about the weight, am having my own problems dropping 5 to 10 pounds. But the smoking, I know you can do that. I walked away from it over 2 years ago and that was after smoking since high school. It's tough in the begining but it does get easier as time goes by. Hang in there you can do it.
Ron

Don,

I'm going to need an AME pretty soon to renew my medical. Who do you use? I'm assuming I'll have to go to Spokane, but I admit I haven't asked around here yet. Do you like yours? I have pre-hypertension (I think that's what it's called) and am on BP med. But that doesn't seem to have been a problem. OTOH, I had a very sensible AME in Tucson. I once went to a different one who seemed to relish grounding people, and he unnecessarily created a nightmare for me (even the FAA tacitly admitted he'd blown it), so I'm anxious now that I have to find a new AME.

Congratulations, by the way.

Thanks,
Judy

Judy, all you will need for the Angiotensin blocker is a note from your prescribing doc saying that it was given for pre-hypertension (renal and heart sparing) and that you are not having any side effects. As long as he says your baseline was below 155 (syst) and below 95 (diast) prior to treatment, it should be treated as just another permitted medication.

"Should" not require the EKG, LDL/HDL/Cholesterol/Glucose/Creatinine/K+ and the cardiovascular assessment!

Unfortunately I don't know the AMEs out there. But if you call in advance, or FAX in a cover letter and the letter from you Rxing Doc, maybe you can get a "pre" Visit response. All the really up to date AMEs are willing to do that.

Judy,

Well, if you want to come over to the we(s)t side of the state I can recommend an excellent AME who is dedicated to keeping pilots flying. I drive an hour south of home just to use him and really like working with him.

Ghery

Spokane area AME's

Judy~
Great to see you on this board. Good things happening here, eh?

The AME I have used for years is:
David O. Gilman, OD, AME
1414 N. Vercler
Spokane Valley, WA 99216
509 924-4681

He is located 1 block East of Pines Rd and 1 block South of Mission, just across the street from Valley Hospital. He is friendly, caring and seems to have a competent staff.

Another about whom I have heard many good things is:
Paula Lantsberger MD, AME
Occupational Medicine Assoc.
323 E. Second Avenue
Spokane, WA 99202
509 455-5555
She is located on the near east side of Spokane proper, just a block or two North of the freeway. I have been told that she is excellent, and in fact I used her a couple of times for ICC driver's physicals in years past. Rumor has it that she gives special financial consideration to those who fly for volunteer organizations such as Life-Flight, etc...

Let's go flying one of these days soon! :)

n741dm said:
that I successfully renewed my Class 2 medical last week at the age of 63. Each time around it is nerve-wracking, even though I have no known issues. BP remains within normal limits, but I know I would be better off if I could lose 15 pounds and quit smoking. Note to self: "Do it"!

Was so happy to find Dr. C here, as I cannot think of anyone who is as staunch an advocate and advisor. Thanks for all you do for us, Bruce. You are a gem! :)

Don McGilvray
KSFF
Spokane, WA

Don, I quit about 15 years ago. Paraphrasing some famous guy (Mark Twain was it?), quitting is easy, I did it many many times; until the last time. IT was cold turkey (no patches or gum available then; had to do it the hard way). Something has to really drive the decision. In my case, the motivation was the arrival of kids. Good luck.

Simha

bbchien said:
Judy, all you will need for the Angiotensin blocker is a note from your prescribing doc saying that it was given for pre-hypertension (renal and heart sparing) and that you are not having any side effects. As long as he says your baseline was below 155 (syst) and below 95 (diast) prior to treatment, it should be treated as just another permitted medication.

"Should" not require the EKG, LDL/HDL/Cholesterol/Glucose/Creatinine/K+ and the cardiovascular assessment!

Unfortunately I don't know the AMEs out there. But if you call in advance, or FAX in a cover letter and the letter from you Rxing Doc, maybe you can get a "pre" Visit response. All the really up to date AMEs are willing to do that.

Well, that creates a problem. This is not a new medication for me. I started it before my last medical, and I did have to have all the assessments, even though I was lower than 155/95, so your advice about not having to have the tests if you're below that doesn't seem to have applied, for some reason. I have moved since then, and my doctor in Arizona was a complete rectal orifice--he was so arrogant toward the AME that he almost lost me my medical. He would have if I hadn't been going to same AME for years. I am NOT anxious to have to try to get another letter from him, and my current doctor isn't going to be able to confirm the prior baseline, since I was already on the medication when I arrived. Will the previous tests, done before my last medical count? What should I do? Should I go off the medication to re-establish the baseline? If so, how long do I have to be off?

Appreciate your help.

Judy

Re: Spokane area AME's

n741dm said:
Judy~
Great to see you on this board. Good things happening here, eh?

SNIP

Let's go flying one of these days soon! :)

Yes, this is great, and yes, let's. This weather has been unbelievable. I've been gone, busy, and/or sick for several weeks, but we really should try to meet for lunch. Hey! We still have a date with Dee in Cashmere! Is she still around?

Thanks very much for the recommendations.

Judy

judypilot said:
Hey! We still have a date with Dee in Cashmere! Is she still around?

Thanks very much for the recommendations.

Judy

Yes, she is here on the board as well, as DeeG... read her profile, you'll get a chuckle under job description :D

We'll get together soon. Love the weather too, but fearful of summer fire danger on the horizon. Last year was bad enough, and this stacks up to be worse.

You're welcome on the recommendations.

Last edited:

Well, that creates a problem. This is not a new medication for me. I started it before my last medical, and I did have to have all the assessments, even though I was lower than 155/95, so your advice about not having to have the tests if you're below that doesn't seem to have applied, for some reason..

Ugh. Then I would go to an nternist, take him the following (print it) from the FAA website

http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version_2/03amemanual/PROTOCOLS/Hypertension.htm

and ask him for everything on there. The EKG, the HDL/LDL/Cholesterol, the fasting glucose, K+ and Creatinine, and the "Cardiovascular Assessment" which is nothing more than a letter stating what you cardiovascular risk factors are and what you can and are doing to modify them. Once you have all this is hand, ANY AME who remembers Aviation Medcine 101 can issue on the spot. Once that is done, it's rather like a guy who has trouble with colors having a color waiver on his record. The meds cease to become an issue so long as you don't have side effects. Better then to just get the stuff done and git it put behind you.

Email me off line should you need more help. There is a guy in Billings, A Dr. Charles Wittnam, who I know over 30 years - who is not an AME but can be very helpful with things like this. Where in Idaho are you?

Last edited:

bbchien said:
Ugh. Then I would go to an nternist, take him the following (print it) from the FAA website

http://www.faa.gov/avr/aam/Game/Version_2/03amemanual/PROTOCOLS/Hypertension.htm

and ask him for everything on there. The EKG, the HDL/LDL/Cholesterol, the fasting glucose, K+ and Creatinine, and the "Cardiovascular Assessment" which is nothing more than a letter stating what you cardiovascular risk factors are and what you can and are doing to modify them.
SNIP
Email me off line should you need more help. There is a guy in Billings, A Dr. Charles Wittnam, who I know over 30 years - who is not an AME but can be very helpful with things like this. Where in Idaho are you?

So I automatically have to go through all that stuff again? Drat. But do I understand you correctly that once I've done it with THIS doctor, I won't have to do it every time? How do I establish the pre-medication baseline? You didn't answer that quesion.

I live in northern Idaho--Billings is pretty far away. If he were in Missoula, that's close (by air!), but Billings is 2.5 hours.

Thanks,
Judy

Yes. Ideally you could get a letter from the previous doc who would simply say that it was given for "prehypertension". But if that's isn't a happening thing, your only other choice is to not be forthcoming on the medication list on the front of the 8500-8.

Ugh. Judy, I just reread the whole string. You actually DID do the EKG, and all that stuff for the last medical...even though not hypertensive. That means you can write "previously reported, no change" and it's supposed to fly.

I can't believe I missed that. Now, occasionally there will be a loose cannon AME....but when you list your medication, make it CLEAR that it's start date was BEFORE your last issuance. That way the AME gets the picture.....started on a BP med....got a medical....means that all that stuff has already been done.

Wish I knew someone in Missoula. I'd go there more often.

bbchien said:
Wish I knew someone in Missoula. I'd go there more often.

Heck, Dr. B... No need to know anyone in Missoula. Just let us know when you feel the desire to go there, and I'll grab Judy and we'll fly over and meet you!

Not that much farther to Spokane from Missoula, either! (hint, hint).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back