Happy Retirement (Delta Mad Dogs)

Most of our flights from here to the ATL hub have been mad dogs for the last five years or so. I wonder what they'll replace them with? I hope we don'g go back to riding in the CRJ's. Ugh.

Maybe Airbus 220?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that the new A220 was going to take the majority of the old MD traffic. Sadly, I haven't had a ride on the new rig yet.

220 is a nice ride. Haven’t flown one of Delta’s yet, but flew one last year from LHR to GVA on Swiss. Noticibly more pax room and a quiet ride to boot. I thought it would be an ERJ 190 with new plane smell, but it’s a big step forward for smaller jets IMHO.

I’ll miss the MD though. For the last 11 years, it’s been my shuttle to and from upstate NY. Sure, it had shortcomings, but for me it was familiar and part of the routine. There was comfort in that.

In 1981 when Muse Air came into being, they signed a contract with the City of Houston to remodel and occupy one of the abandoned concourses at Hobby. I was 24 at the time, and superintendent for the mechanical contractor.

The old finger concourse hadn't been touched since IAH had become active in June 1969. It was being turned into a spacious and modern concourse, and all of the work had to be done by Zero Day, the day Muse Air would begin DAL-HOU operations with its fleet, which consisted of two DC-9 Series 80 (later called the Super 80) in the beginning. The night before Zero Day was a madhouse of workers, except for me. All my work had been completed, I just walked around checking the HVAC system and adjusting thermostats.

But about two weeks before the big day arrived, Muse management realized they had owner furnished icemakers, kitchen equipment, and assorted other things that had to be installed and made operational that weren't part of the mechanical contract.

I told them I could perform that work solo after hours. They didn't want to pay what I was asking, so I made a deal to get one year space available flight privileges for two people.

That was my first experience on the Super 80, and I had a good time taking weekend trips as often as I could afford. I loved the airplane, and their service was great. I'd chat with the crews and check out the cockpit, noting its steam gauges looked familiar enough that I was sure I could fly it if they both ate the fish. Muse Air was acquired by SWA in 1987, renamed TranStar, and later swallowed whole.

In later years, I flew the MD-80 and subsequent derivitives on AA and DAL many times, and always enjoyed it.

So long, old gal. I had a lot of good times watching the world go by and listening to those JT8Ds with their slight surging rhythm.

w620-1cf76695f4db43430c49f23c647bcd4a.jpg

Last edited:
Back