Happy Pesach to all

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Passover starts today. May you all have a celebrated holiday.

רב תודות. Headed up to Cleveland this afternoon to do Seder with my brother's family.

We've been invited to Seder tonight by our new neighbors. Should be interesting and I'm looking forward to it. My first. BTW, what would be appropriate to bring? They said "nothing" but I hate to show up empty-handed. My wife is thinking maybe a plant and/or flowers and combining it as a house-warming gift.

Last edited:
We've been invited to Seder tonight by our new neighbors. Should be interesting and I'm looking forward to it. My first. BTW, what would be appropriate to bring? They said "nothing" but I hate to show up empty-handed. My wife is thinking maybe a plant and/or flowers and combining it as a house-warming gift.

That's a great ideas Greg. Leave the yeast at home.

I got invited to the Seder tonight too, I asked if it was possible to have a Kosher Chocolate Birthday Cake... I remained skeptical though. I stopped by yesterday and help with the preparations & 2 yr old twin wrangling. I found out how they make Kosher Cake taste good. Alcohol! Matza dipped in wine spread with chocolate mixed with Cognac. I was told to bring a change of clothes in case I can’t make it home. Stuck my finger in it as I was spreading it… nom nom nom.

Last edited:

Greg Anthony is right. a nice bouqet of flowers for the table would be great. Since one never knows how observant a family is its best to leave food out of the equation. Believe it or not even a nice bottle of wine can be NOT kosher for passover. Many families may not care but many would so unless you know that what ever food or drink product you are bringing is infact kosher for passover and is so marked then stick with flowers.

Thanks, all. Yeah, I keyed in on the yeast right away, Anthony :D

I pondered the kosher question since they moved in last week. We got baskets of cookies and breads from the neighborhood when we moved in years ago, so that was my first thought, but then I figured I would just mess up a kosher or not deal, so ... yeah, I'm listening to my wife (she'll say "for once") :D

Thanks, all. Yeah, I keyed in on the yeast right away, Anthony :D

I pondered the kosher question since they moved in last week. We got baskets of cookies and breads from the neighborhood when we moved in years ago, so that was my first thought, but then I figured I would just mess up a kosher or not deal, so ... yeah, I'm listening to my wife (she'll say "for once") :D

Also Greg FWIW lots of Jewish folks will keep kosher for passover but not the rest of the year so those chocolate chip cookies will likely be most welcome in 9 days:D

Just a reminder....lox & cream cheese on matzo is ok. And from experience, a grilled ham & cheese on matzo is really messy.

First time to Passover dinner and it was very interesting and lots of fun. I don't remember it being referenced and I forgot to ask, what is the significance of the Egg and the Potato?

First time to Passover dinner and it was very interesting and lots of fun. I don't remember it being referenced and I forgot to ask, what is the significance of the Egg and the Potato?
http://www.suite101.com/content/the-meaning-of-passover-foods-a50646

I enjoyed it immensely as well. Our new neighbors are Messianic, and the connections made between Old Testament and New Testament were very thought-provoking for me. I knew some of them, but learned a lot of new ones, as well.

Egg signifies rebirth and the cycle of life. As for the Potato I have no Idea. I've been going to seders for 47 years and haven't seen a potato perhaps the family was from Maine or Idaho or were Irish Jews who knows.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-meaning-of-passover-foods-a50646

I enjoyed it immensely as well. Our new neighbors are Messianic, and the connections made between Old Testament and New Testament were very thought-provoking for me. I knew some of them, but learned a lot of new ones, as well.

Oh "Jews for Jesus", As they were Christian you probably could have bought a ham and been ok. I'm sure the flowers were still appreciated though.

Egg signifies rebirth and the cycle of life. As for the Potato I have no Idea. I've been going to seders for 47 years and haven't seen a potato perhaps the family was from Maine or Idaho or were Irish Jews who knows.

Ok, maybe it wasn't a potato. it looked like a cooked pealed potato... Corrie was going "by the book" as she converted 3 yrs ago. Ron was in Isreal and well the twins are only two years old and they didn't make it thought the whole thing.

It could have been maror, or bitter herb. Lots of folks use horseradish, which in its unprocessed form is a root, no entirely dissimilar to a potato. It is there to remind us of the bitterness of slavery suffered by our ancestors in Egypt.

...you probably could have bought a ham and been ok. I'm sure the flowers were still appreciated though.
LOL! That would be me, alright! Show up at a seder, proudly gifting my smoked ham! :D :cheerswine:

Last edited:
It could have been maror, or bitter herb. Lots of folks use horseradish, which in its unprocessed form is a root, no entirely dissimilar to a potato. It is there to remind us of the bitterness of slavery suffered by our ancestors in Egypt.

There was red horseradish on the plate as well, but maybe that was the raw stuff. I guess I will have to ask them later.

Sigh. Last night's seder, in Chicago busted my South Beach..... :)

I always thought there should be 5 questions not 4 the 5th being on this night we eat massive amounts of starch.....

There was red horseradish on the plate as well, but maybe that was the raw stuff. I guess I will have to ask them later.

Thats my guess.

A potato is often used as Karpas instead of parsley or celery.

Back