Happy happy!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Last winter, our club purchased a recent model C206, and that had me bothered a great deal. It was a very expensive airplane, that rented for a good deal of money ($175/hr), and had some high requirements. We needed 250TT, 50 High perf, and 5 in type to be able to fly the plane.

I had suspected at the time that most club members either lacked the financial means to get qualified, or really didn't have a mission requiring a large 6 place A/C. I was also worried this would be an albetross around the club's neck, putting us out of business.

Well, as time went on, only 8 guys (of 50) were qualified to fly the 206, and it was only flying 14hrs/mo on average, far far less than needed to even break even. So, in a rare bit of common sense, the club board polled all members on the 206 issue, and decided to trade the 206 on a recent model 182 with all the bells and whistles. This is the plane:

2001 CESSNA C-182​

AIRCRAFT SUMMARY​
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]– N152CF [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]

[/FONT]
Year:​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
2001​
[/FONT]

Type:​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
CESSNA -182T serial number 18281074.​
[/FONT]

Airframe Total Time:​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
447.8 Hours​
[/FONT]

AVIONICS​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
Bendix/King KMA-28 Audio Panel/Marker Beacon
Bendix/King KMH-8801 Multi-Hazard Awareness System (Traffic Advisory System, BFG WX-500 Stormscope, Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System)
Bendix/King KMD-550 Multi-Function Display
Bendix/King KLN-94 GPS
Bendix/King KX-155A Nav/Com with Glideslope
Bendix/King KX-155A Nav/Com
Bendix/King KT-76C Mode C Transponder

Bendix/King KAP-140 Two Axis Autopilot with Electric Trim
Bendix/King KCS-55A HSI​
[/FONT]

OTHER EQUIPMENT

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
Wheel Fairings Annunciator Panel Four Place Intercom
Dual Vacuums Digital Clock/OAT Wing Tip Strobes​
[/FONT]

EXTERIOR

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
Matterhorn White with Sky Blue, Silver, Sea Green Accents Rating: 10.0​
[/FONT]

INTERIOR​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
Grey Leather, Like New - Rating: 10.0​
[/FONT]

ADDITIONAL REMARKS​

[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
Plane is in Outstanding Condition. Last Annual inspection compressions #1-79/80, #2-78/80, #3-78/80, #4-78/80, #5-79/80, and #6-77/80.​
[/FONT]

The plane will be on the line starting tomorrow, and will rent for $125/hr. For my hours, I will need 5 hours dual with a club instructor to be qualified.

This is exactly the right move we needed, we now have three planes that all 50 guys can reasonably qualify and fly, instead of the two planes the rest of the 42 werer scrambling to fly.

Bill Jennings said:
The plane will be on the line starting tomorrow, and will rent for $125/hr. For my hours, I will need 5 hours dual with a club instructor to be qualified.

Yes! I have 9-12 Monday morning booked for my first few hours checkout with the club CFI.

A good move on your club's part.

I think you will find the 182 very accomodating for a wide range of "missions".

We should meet for lunch sometime and compare aircraft... :)

Steve said:
I think you will find the 182 very accomodating for a wide range of "missions".

It looks to be a wonderful plane, and work well flying my family of three.

We should meet for lunch sometime and compare aircraft... :)

You're on, after I get checked out, I'll post back and we'll find somewhere interesting roughly half way!

Bill Jennings said:
So, in a rare bit of common sense, the club board polled all members on the 206 issue, and decided to trade the 206 on a recent model 182 with all the bells and whistles.

Bill,

Congrats! The 182 is a great airplane for a club because it fits many missions. I've got around 50 hours in our club's 182 this year, including Gaston's.

Just for comparison - Our rate is $94 per tach hour, fuel surcharge is $5 per tach hour per $0.30/gal above $3.25. Current fuel price here is $3.44, so we're paying $99 per tach hour.

Obviously requires HP endorsement, we also require either 10 in type or 100TT + 5 in type. Anyone who can't show such in their logbook must have a CFI fill out a checkout form and then fly their time in the plane.

I flew a 172 yesterday that was equipped much like your 182, and it was pretty cool, if a bit unfamiliar. (Our 182 is an older one retrofitted with Garmin/S-Tec rather than King avionics.) Datalink WX, TIS, and a good-sized map - Very cool. Incidentally, this 172 also had air conditioning and those seat-belt air bags. I think they must have checked every box on the order form! $115/hr at LNA.

The nicest thing about the 182 is that you can sit in it for hours and not get that curled-up, crampy feeling. Equipped with A/P and GPS, it makes a wonderful traveling machine. You're bringing it to Gaston's right? :yes:

You're going to like that 182. A very comfortable cross country cruising machine. I still scratch my head and wonder why I have a lot more time in our club's Arrow than in our 182. Could it be that I can put the Arrow back in the hangar by myself, but it's a two person job for the 182 due to the slope to the hangar entrance?

Gary,

I have an Arrow and about 200 hours in it. 100 hours in Warriors and Archers. 10 in a 172.

I've never been in a 182. Always wondered how much difference there would be between one and the Arrow. Your thoughts?

Looks like a very nice airplane. You're gonna love it.

Larry Liebscher said:
Gary,

I have an Arrow and about 200 hours in it. 100 hours in Warriors and Archers. 10 in a 172.

I've never been in a 182. Always wondered how much difference there would be between one and the Arrow. Your thoughts?

46 hours in the Arrow, 24.8 hours in 182s (138.2 hours in 172s, 4.1 hours in a 150 - NO MORE!). They both cruise at about the same speed (done 139 KTAS in the Arrow, about 142 in the 182). The Arrow burns less gas doing it (duh, no gear or struts hanging out in the wind, smaller engine). The 182 has a wider cabin and MUCH more legroom in the back seat. The 182 is truely the Cessna land-o-matic airplane. Can't say that I've ever had a bad landing in one. On the other hand, I spent an hour and half in the pattern with the Arrow on Thursday after not having flown in two months due to job, weather and other factors and didn't have a single landing that was embarrassing. In fact, most were greasers. Unlike my first landing in the Arrow which qualified as an arrival. So, fly the numbers and either will make you look good.

Our planes have a few years on them (the Arrow is a 1969 model) and I think the seats are original. Both airplanes need help in that department, but the Arrow is particularly bad. Probably not the fault of Piper, it's the fault of 36 years of use. But there is a lot more room for the pilot in the 182. When you're 6'2" that can be important. 3 hours and I can't wait to crawl out of the Arrow.

Oh, and the 182 glides better. So far that's only been important in training, but you never know. And, around here the high wing keeps you drier getting in and out. :D

Bottom line, they're both XC cruisers for me. Given the choice, I'll take the 182. In our club they are both the same price per hour to fly. We burn more gas in the 182, but have lower maintenance (and, I'm sure, insurance) costs to make up for it.

So, if I like the 182 better than the Arrow, why have I flown the Arrow more? Two reasons. The 182 is a two person minimum airplane for me as I can't put it back in the hangar by myself due to its weight and the (slight) slope up to the hangar. If I don't have help from the FBO line boy, I can't guarantee that I can put it away. Not so with the Arrow. Also, our club insurance requires that we fly the Arrow at least 3 hours in a 180 day period, or we have to get signed off by a CFI again. Rather than do that, I make sure I stay current, even if I'm not going anywhere. No such requirement for the 182. Must be the folding gear that spooks the insurance company. It is nice having a complex aircraft that I can fly as a VFR only private pilot without a ton of hours.

Ghery said:
The 182 is truely the Cessna land-o-matic airplane. Can't say that I've ever had a bad landing in one.

You've gotta be kidding! I had a heckuva time learning how to land the thing. I've just recently gotten to the point where I can jump in it after a couple months off and land it well. Probably too many hours in Pipers since I last flew another Cessna, but it took a while to get the landing attitude right.

Of course, like most planes, nail the speed and the attitude and you're golden. Land a bit too nose-low in a 182 and you'll enter an unrecoverable porpoise (GO AROUND). Our club's 182 had a prop strike a couple of years ago from such an event.

But there is a lot more room for the pilot in the 182. When you're 6'2" that can be important. 3 hours and I can't wait to crawl out of the Arrow.

Bingo. On the way back from EFD, I flew a single leg of 5.3 hours (EFD -> SIK) and didn't feel like I was all curled up. It's a very comfy airplane. 8.8 hours in it that day!

Last edited:
Nice looking aircraft. I flew our 1959 straight tail to Gastons last summer. I love that old plane. I feel so comfortable in it, I have close to 1200 hours in it since I bought it in 1992. It is a true 4 place flying machine. Load your family and go It will haul a load. I don't have much for equipment in ours. One Nav, Com. a mode C transponder, and a Handheld GPS. But I seem to get there and back. The weather was not good last year as we left Gastons for Bloomington IL. But the GPS did the trick. It took me three years to get our 182 restored after we bought it. We haven't had any trouble since.:goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
You're bringing it to Gaston's right? :yes:

Well, BPK, as our insurance still does not allow unpaved field operations. Yup, the Archer will stay home the 182 will go and play.

Back