Happy for CFI but dissapointed

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Just found out my CFI has essentially given his 2 week notice. He referred me to another CFI at the same school (they have about 5 of them). I really though he was a good instructor so will miss training with him. On the other hand, happy he has found a full time flying job (not with an airliner but with an aeronotical photography and mapping service it sounds like) with good pay, benefits, and full time work.

Sounds like your CFI at least did the right thing, giving notice and transferring over your training. Far too many CFIs just up and quit and leave their students hanging.

I always thought that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they quit a job.

The same thing happened to me about two weeks into my training. At the time I didn't know how the business worked but looking back I should have expected to go through a few CFI's.

My CFI story has a happy ending, though it took a while to get there. After my first CFI left the flight school I was using I took to the skies with his replacement. He was a pretty good instructor but only lasted about three weeks before he quit to take a job as a car salesman.

CFI number three- The first flight up he spent the entire hour looking at his phone and texting his girlfriend. the second flight was supposed to be navigation by ground references. We ended up above the clouds where I couldn't see a thing on the ground. When getting near the airport he took the controls and brought us down through a hole in the clouds. At this point I have burned two hours worth of training funds and haven't learned a thing, so I fired him.

CFI number four- The lesson starts off okay. We do a few ground reference maneuvers. He gives me some positive feedback but he is clearly becoming bored. He took the controls (didn't ask but just told me he was taking them) and said "watch this". He then proceeded to show me what kind of cowboy he really was. I fired him as soon as we got back to the FBO.

At this point in time my first CFI and established a pretty regular work schedule and working together figured out how we could fly together again. We both joined a flight club and that is where we finished up my training.

Lesson learned is do not be afraid to fire your CFI if you do not feel comfortable. There are lots of bad ones out there but there are a few good ones to. They are worth seeking out!

Had my first set up with new CFI today but daughter got sick stayed home from school = no flying for me.

IMO working with multiple CFIs is a *good* thing. Each has strengths and weaknesses and each teaches slightly differently. I did my private with one CFI and instrument, in the final tally, with five. Of the five, I fired one, didn't like one very much (but very much respected his knowledge and directness, so I lived with the personality quirks) and was very happy with the other three. I learned much more in that blended approach than I did with the single person with whom I did my private.

So, embrace the change. It will be good in the long run.

Another reason to work with a CFI who is older, retired from their "real job" and teaching because they love to fly and teach. Bonus points if you can find one that's retired military.

IMO working with multiple CFIs is a *good* thing. Each has strengths and weaknesses and each teaches slightly differently. I did my private with one CFI and instrument, in the final tally, with five. Of the five, I fired one, didn't like one very much (but very much respected his knowledge and directness, so I lived with the personality quirks) and was very happy with the other three. I learned much more in that blended approach than I did with the single person with whom I did my private.

So, embrace the change. It will be good in the long run.

This, even if the instructor isn't as good you're going to be exposed to a broader range of instruction which is always a good thing.

About the only downside is expect an hour or two "wasted" while the new instructor gets to know you and you him or her.

Another reason to work with a CFI who is older, retired from their "real job" and teaching because they love to fly and teach. Bonus points if you can find one that's retired military.

Ironic thing is the CFI was older, and this is a second career for him. He does it because he loves it, and said multiple times he did not want to fly for an airline or corporate training company (he turned down a job at ATP). The job he got follows what he said exactly. He will be flying all over the US mainly in Cessna 206's assisting in mapping, and geologic studies. And I do believe he loves teaching, what he did not love was the inconsistent work schedule, low pay and lack of benefits. Would not be surprised if he continues to do it on the side, but he needs to move for the new job.

Back