Happy Flowers

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Here are some more early (for here) bloomers from my slope that I'm too lazy to mow wildflower garden.

foxglove.jpg

Foxglove, a fast-growing biennial.

speedwell.jpg

Speedwell is a roadside flower that "speeds you on your way." It's also a hearty, friendly perennial that never complains.

unknown-flower-1.jpg

I have no idea what these yellow flowers are (I don't always know what the seeds I plant look like as plants), but I have a lot of them. Whatever they are, they seem very happy.

unknown-flower-2.jpg

I don't know what these white flowers are, either, but they like moist soil and shady areas. If anyone knows what they're called, please let me know. I'd like to plant more of them in some places where I think they'd be very happy.

-Rich

Are the yellow echinacea, maybe ?

The yellow ones are Celandine I think. There are a couple varieties.

Thanks. I should take some wider-view pictures that show the leaves.

I'm always amazed that my flowers do so well, considering that I really don't know what I'm doing.

Here's some phlox.

phlox.jpg

Of course, if you can't grow phlox, then you probably can't grow anything. It's another happy plant that doesn't complain about anything.

I'm also trying my hand at Vinca minor this year, a plant that's so hardy that it's considered an invasive weed in some places. But the places where I planted it, I am told, should be okay, now that I found something that actually works to stop the animals from digging up the plants.

I'm not sure what kind of animal it was, but something was pulling up the plants every night, and just leaving them lying there. The paw prints looked like a rabbit's, but I didn't see the actual animal, nor do I know why rabbits would dig up plants that they don't eat. In any case, I tried a few animal repellents that didn't work too well until I found one at Tractor Supply that works great. It's this stuff, in case anyone's interested.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/bonidereg;--repels-all--animal-repellent-3-lb

Stinks to high heaven when you apply it, but it works. It's made of dried blood, rotten eggs, and garlic oil, so it works for vampires, too.

-Rich

Back