Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day

Strange thing -- the geese, they say "Honk, eh!"

I hope you all have a colourful meal, and that your local hockey team wins.

Strange thing -- the geese, they say "Honk, eh!"

I hope you all have a colourful meal, and that your local hockey team wins.
Good point to raise. In American we often have family Turkey Bowl football games on our Thanksgiving. Do Canadians have a similar but ice based family sporting event (hockey) on their day?

I'm thankful for Pam Anderson.

Well ... late 80s, early 90s Pam Anderson.

Thank you, Canada.
-harry

I'm thankful for most of these:
http://www.canadians.ca/top_ten_inventions.htm
Top Ten Canadian Inventions

In no particular order, and yes; we know there are many more...

AM radio
Invented by :
Guglielmo Marconi

IMAX projector and system
Invented by :
Graeme Ferguson,
Roman Kroitor
and Robert Kerr

Telephone
Invented by :
Alexander Graham Bell

Television
Invented by :
Reginald A. Fessenden

Zipper
Invented by :
Gideon Sundback

Music Synthesizer
Invented by:
Hugh LeCaine

Electron microscope
Invented by :
Eli Franklin Burton,
Cecil Hall,
James Hillier,
and Albert Prebus

Trivial Pursuit
Invented by :
Chris Haney
and Scott Abbott

Basketball
Invented by :
James Naismith

Canadarm
Invented by :
Spar Aerospace Ltd

Last edited:
And I thought Philo Farnsworth invented television. What exactly is Canada celebrating its independence from? I thought they were still part of the monarchy.

I really am confused about the Zipper claim. All of the patents are held by Americans, the guy who did the modern design was Swedish and living in the US working for a US company. How is that a Canadian invention?

I have no clue...I just block-copied the list!

Otto Fredrik Gideon Sundbäck was born on Sonarp farm in Ödestugu Parish (Ödestugu på gården Sonarp), in Jönköping County, Småland, Sweden. He was the son of Jonas Otto Magnusson Sundbäck, a prosperous farmer, and his wife Kristina Karolina Klasdotter. After his studies in Sweden, Sundback moved to Germany where studied at the polytechnic school in Bingen am Rhein. In 1903, Sundback took his engineer exam in electronics. Two years later he moved to Canada and the United States.

Thank you Canada for my life and job as it is! :cheerswine:

Oof, brain fart on my part. Sorry. What is Canada giving thanks for, other than Pam Anderson and suspect claims of invention?

Our most benificient monarch, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada.

Is it her birthday or something? Nice that you guys give thanks for your subjugation.

Is it her birthday or something? Nice that you guys give thanks for your subjugation.

OK...actually, here's the actual proclamation from Parliament:

A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed … to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.

And we celebrate Her Majesty's birthday on the third Monday in May...which coincides closely to the birthday of Queen Victoria, Queen when the Dominion of Canada first came into being.

And I thought Philo Farnsworth invented television. What exactly is Canada celebrating its independence from? I thought they were still part of the monarchy.

As a sovereign nation since 1867.

You remember Expo 67, celebrating the centennial, eh!

Like Great Britain and the rest of the commonwealth, they just like reading about a Monarchy in the tabloids.

Do Canadians have a similar but ice based family sporting event (hockey) on their day?

Is this close enough?

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
As a sovereign nation since 1867.

You remember Expo 67, celebrating the centennial, eh!

Like Great Britain and the rest of the commonwealth, they just like reading about a Monarchy in the tabloids.

But I'm from Newfoundland and we only joined in 1949! Still have 39 years to go for the centennial!:D

Canadian Thanksgiving - That's where we all eat back bacon and drink Molson and watch hockey and give thanks for Canadians, eh?

BTW I fully expect Canadian Special Forces to descend upon my family compound and pelt me with snowballs and moose poop in retaliation.....

Back