Hanging out with 120mm of freedom

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
We had a fun visitor at Maexwell yesterday. These guys came from the Kansas City Reserves just doing a little flying. Very fun planes to watch.

What's up with the two "newly accepted" soldiers in the back row left? Thy seems to be bit preoccupied.

Haha, even in a group as small as 14, you can always count on people to screw simple things up.

A close up of the planes may have been nice.

A close up of the planes may have been nice.

Running convoys from the Iraqi border to Doha in Kuwait, I got to,see they real up close and personal. Fully loaded and 100 AGL or less. Thank god for air panels.

One show boater was really cool. The most memorable pass..... As soon as he passed the front of the convoy, he rolled right to inverted and circles over us, then rolled inverted again and passed a second time. This time, he was upside down. We all had our first pumps going!

'Murcica beeeeeches! :rockon::blueplane::yeahthat:

What's with the "120mm of freedom" statement? They had four A-10s?

Yeah I see that. Can't tell if there's a 4th to the right, tail only showing, or if it's the tail of the closest A10?

Maybe they have the 40mm mod? :rofl:

Running convoys from the Iraqi border to Doha in Kuwait, I got to,see they real up close and personal. Fully loaded and 100 AGL or less. Thank god for air panels.

One show boater was really cool. The most memorable pass..... As soon as he passed the front of the convoy, he rolled right to inverted and circles over us, then rolled inverted again and passed a second time. This time, he was upside down. We all had our first pumps going!

'Murcica beeeeeches! :rockon::blueplane::yeahthat:

Kind of like this?

Last edited:
Well I count three in the background of the photo... But there may be another one hiding behind the building.

It's the new stealth A-10. You already can't hear the brrrrt because the rounds hit you before the sound does, but now you don't even get to see it when it brrrrts you.

Nice grin in the photo, BigRed.
Btw, congrats, Cap'n!!!! :)

And of course: "Keep Calm And Brrrt On!"
Keep-Calm-And-BRRRT-On.jpg

Well I count three in the background of the photo... But there may be another one hiding behind the building.

Easiest way is to count the canopies. Furthest Hog appears to be part of the third.

Ok...I thought the HOGS were retired... Don't know why, just remember being bewildered about it...

They should be around for quite some time. The reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

What's up with the two "newly accepted" soldiers in the back row left? Thy seems to be bit preoccupied.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The title confused me a little. I have 120mm of freedom in one tube while they need to add together. ;)

Having said that, I to have been on the helpful end of those wonderful men in their flying machines while my tank was parked and I was behind a 50 cal on a gun truck.

Route Irish, 2004.... may you never have that kind of commute.

Great machines, i just hope that their vehicle ID skills are sharp. ;)

Ok...I thought the HOGS were retired... Don't know why, just remember being bewildered about it...

The Air Force wants to retire them and replace them with the F-35, which is turning into a huge goat rope and still is having problems. Whereas the A-10 has been rewinged along w/ other improvements (talking about a new engine for 'em now) and is a proven platform.

Some members of Congress (led by McClain) have refused to allow the AF to retire them, so they'll be around for awhile. Sometimes a less sophisticated airframe suits the purpose, and the A-10 & AC-130 do that. Go Air Force!

120mm? BAH! In the USA, we used customary!

4.72441in is preferred.

Back