Hangin' with the Red Eagles

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Flying is an amazing invention in many different ways. It gives people the opportunity to gather together to experience an art of passion unlike anything Von Gogh or even Da vinci could put on a single canvas. It doesn't matter who you are, young or old, rich or poor, student pilot or airline captain, in that moment everyone shares the same smile facing skyward.

I received an unlikely invitation recently. During a typical call to check on things at home, I learned that the local charter pilot had invited me to hang out with him at Tinker AFB airshow. Not daring to turn down a chance to share airplane stories, I called him and we decided to meet up on the flight line on Saturday.

This morning, I drove the hour and a half trip to Tinker for some good ol' fashion airplane fun. My new buddy met me under the wing of a Dyass AFB B-1 bomber during a hot summer day. Actually, my phone rang and I received a startling hello about 2 inches behind me! We decided to walk down the flight line amongst thousands of people that had come to see the show from all parts of the country. After we caught up on a few things from home, two beautiful red and white Christen Eagles came into view. Unlike other airplanes where the grounds crew ask you not to touch, we were freely let through. My buddy opened up the canopy to one of the glistening birds and let me look until my hearts content. There on the side in bright white letters was was the name "Buck Roetman," my buddy's name. I still couldn't believe that he was one of the famous pilots for the Red Eagles aerobatic team. They travel all over the country just like Aeroshell's Texans.

It was really neat to meet the whole team and watch the airshow together all afternoon. I was on my own some of the time as they performed but I didn't mind since it gave me the chance to see their talents in action. They seem to have enjoyed the extra company and I was treated like a VIP. Free soda!!

After the airshow, I helped everyone guide the Eagles into a B-52 hanger for the night. I don't believe it would have hit anything but it was rewarding to see kids and even adults smile as the airplanes rolled by. I'm really starting to understand the different reasons these guys do what they do. Without even trying you inspire curiosity, amazement, and dreams to those of all ages. During an actual airshow, there is no end to the possibilities.

If they can achieve their dreams, so can I!

Official Website: http://www.redeagleairsports.com/mainframe.html

Last edited:
Damn, Tris...your often unique experiences (and writing) never cease to amaze!

Great to see that you are having such cool experiences in aviation Tris! :yes:

And now I know why you asked about the artists' "boards". ;)

Tristan, you said in the chat room you saw part of the "Tora, Tora, Tora" group there doing the Pearl Harbor attack demo.

My boss flies with the CAF. Though he didn't go this weekend, his plane and partner did. I know a fair number of folks who did go up. They are in pretty high demand and the CAF earns a good bit of its operating budget by fees for the performance. The only thing the pilots get is the prestige and the sweet flight time in those bird replicas.

The following is a picture I took with the cell phone upon return of two planes. Later, my boss' Val showed up but I didn't get a picture of it. When I get the opportunity, I'll take a picture of it in front of the FBO.

The one nearest me was made for the 1970 movie, "Tora, Tora, Tora." About thirty were built and originally only to be certified for 50 hours of flight. But, you can see they are still going strong.

Some were put on a barge and taken to Hawaii for movie, "Pearl Harbor." My boss flew his Val in the movie along with several others. Their names were in the credits so sometime I'll have dig up that movie again.

The one closer to the building was recently finished by its owner; pretty much built from scratch. He put a lot of loving hours into this project.

Treo_052508_003.jpg

Treo_052508_002.jpg

We've got one of the "Tora, Tora, Tora" Zeros here at OLM. It goes up now and then. These pictures are from the Gathering of Warbirds air show at OLM in 2005. The 10th annual version is coming up, Father's Day weekend. Drop by.

Attachments

• 107 Replica Zero.JPG
    107 Replica Zero.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 3
Tristan, your writting skills keep me in suspense to experience your experiences. I am amazed!

Back