Hangin' from the prop, baby!

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Got about 2.5 in the air on Thursday. Flew to a few local airports and practiced...including quite a few landings at a short little grass strip in my home town.

Also did quite a bit of upper air work since I have a BFR coming up next month. I try to do steep turns, slow flight, stalls, turns about a point, etc. every few months anyway but with the BFR coming up I did a bit more than normal.

I love slow flight in the old straight tail. It just hangs there. 0 kts indicated and still climbing at 500FPM. Fun stuff:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0kts.jpg
    0kts.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,336
Had a friend in her 182A with a Horton STOL kit show me slow flight. She slowed it down to 65kts as her ATP-CFI has instructed. She was surprised when I slowed it down and the ASI dropped off like that.

I love slow flight. A short video my Dad took from the backseat in a 172S. I didn't quite get it pegged at 0 but close.

Aw, heck, I love flying in general :)

man, and all this time I thought the 100kts (on a good day) I get in my rentals was slow flight........

Got about 2.5 in the air on Thursday. Flew to a few local airports and practiced...including quite a few landings at a short little grass strip in my home town.

Also did quite a bit of upper air work since I have a BFR coming up next month. I try to do steep turns, slow flight, stalls, turns about a point, etc. every few months anyway but with the BFR coming up I did a bit more than normal.

I love slow flight in the old straight tail. It just hangs there. 0 kts indicated and still climbing at 500FPM. Fun stuff:

attachment.php

Best remember to take the pitot cover off for your BFR.

Not to hijack the thread but I just completed my BFR yesterday. A good CFI will turn it into a learning experience. We did unusual attitude recovery. I had done the "It your bird, fix it or die" type recoveries since basic training. Fun!

We just did steep turns, weather forecasting, BSed about OSH for a while. The recoveries were fun!

You never know what they are gonna want to know, but you are trained as a private pilot. Figure out what they are asking you to do, do it and fake the rest. ;)

You'll do fine. Don't sweat it.

:lol:

Last edited:
One day back many years ago when I was flying my old Cherokee 140, I was practicing slow flight and power-on stalls. The gas tanks had maybe 10 gallons each in them, still 2 hours fuel on board but the plane was really light and it was a cold day outside. While going along at just above stall with flaps retracted, I suddenly pulled the yoke back into my chest and gave it full throttle at the same time to see what it would do, trying to get an abrupt power-on stall out of it but it wouldn't quite do that. The nose pitched up to the sky, the airspeed indicator dropped down to the bottom peg and the whole airplane started shaking pretty good. I was paying more attention to keeping the ball centered but noticed that the VSI was showing about 300-400 FPM climb and my GPS was showing about 25kts of ground speed. The rudder pedals were really sensitive to keep the ball centered, a little out of center and the airplane wanted to fall over to one side or the other, but was possible to keep wings level while the plane was still climbing, but shaking like the wings were stalling and the airspeed showing nothing. Cherokees aren't supposed to be powerful enough to do that. ;)

No way would I ever attempt that in my RV today. The Cherokee was a pussycat WRT stalls and spins. The RV-6 would probably kill me and laugh an evil laugh at me the whole way down.

Last edited:
Thought you meant like this guy:D

Attachments

• beech-18-airplane.jpg
    beech-18-airplane.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 59
Back