Hangers with apartments/living space

deftone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
deftone
Anybody have any experience of renting a hanger with an apartment or living space?

I have seen lots for sale, but almost none for rent here in Tx. I only want one for a couple of years, so would like to not go through the buying and selling process unless I really need to.

Any advice or leads on any available would be appreciated!

I see that you are in the Houston area. I know Hooks has some larger hangers with office space that may be available for rent.

I know you are trying to rent but I have seen numerous hangar homes for sale at Hooks, West Houston and Ellington. Maybe contact some of the listings and see if they are interested in a short term lease.

Just be aware that the FAA is very against living quarters in hangars on FAA funded airports. Not arguing for or against, just a fact that you should be aware of.

Just be aware that the FAA is very against living quarters in hangars on FAA funded airports. Not arguing for or against, just a fact that you should be aware of.

Really? Why is that?

Really? Why is that?

The FAAs position is that residential use of airport land is not compatible with aeronautical use. The FAA funded the taxiways for aviation use, not as an oversize driveway. That argument was also at the root of the FAAs attempt to shut down through the fence airparks at funded airports a couple of years ago (it took congress to force them to accept ttf agreements).

An 'office' or 'pilot lounge' that exist in support of the primary aviation use of the hangar are ok with the FAA. You will notice that there are occasionally 'pilot lounges' that have a 3/4 bath to freshen up and a 'catering kitchen' attached to them :wink2: .

Oh, and if the airport is zoned 'light industrial' or 'commercial', there may be local zoning issues with building a residence.

oh come on - everyone knows for security purposes you need someone watching the plane 24/7 and there are certain human needs...that seems like aeronautical use to me :p

Believe it or not, there have been cases where folks living on airport (as in pilots) have complained complained about airport noise. Apparently living at the airport didn't seem like such a great idea once they discovered turbine aircraft sometimes use airports in the late evenings/early morning.

The FAAs position is that folks living at an airport makes no more sense than people living in industrial parks. People also get real upset when you ask them to move, so the airport is restrained from future growth when you start dotting the edges of the taxiways with private residences.

The best place for people to live with their planes are private strips and residential airparks (that are not federally funded).

Believe it or not, there have been cases where folks living on airport (as in pilots) have complained complained about airport noise. Apparently living at the airport didn't seem like such a great idea once they discovered turbine aircraft sometimes use airports in the late evenings/early morning.

The FAAs position is that folks living at an airport makes no more sense than people living in industrial parks. People also get real upset when you ask them to move, so the airport is restrained from future growth when you start dotting the edges of the taxiways with private residences.

The best place for people to live with their planes are private strips and residential airparks (that are not federally funded).

Yup... That is the way I roll......... 2WY3......

Back