Hanger Rash............. OUCH!

That, or
"Hey, Bob! I figured out how to fit more aircraft into our storage space!"
or
"Shown here is the results of our testing the new Jet-A flavored Beggin' Strips"​
or
"If you look just near the middle aircraft, you can see the mouse that scared them"​
or
"This is a very effective way to illustrate critical angle of attack"

Ow, I hope no one was hurt when that roof collapsed. Is that from the recent snow in the east?

If it is a roof collapse, that is gonna be one expensive insurance claim.

On the Red Board, Parker Woodruff pointed out the cost of an aileron for a jet of this size. And that was just a 4-foot long part. The cost of the tail section for one of these jets has gotta be sumthin fierce!.

If it is a roof collapse, that is gonna be one expensive insurance claim.

On the Red Board, Parker Woodruff pointed out the cost of an aileron for a jet of this size. And that was just a 4-foot long part. The cost of the tail section for one of these jets has gotta be sumthin fierce!.
According to Eggman it was a roof collapse. At Dulles BTW.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34282

Some more pics there too.

It would be interesting to see what the final insurance dollar talley is on this one.

I wonder what the salvage value is gonna be one one those jets? (remember I deal in salvage autos/trucks)

The real trick will be VERY carefully dissembling the hangar to remove them with adding futher damage.... I hope someone videos it and puts it on U tube.:yesnod::yesnod:

I don't see a problem; where should I start?

2wphy4n.jpg

OK, I see it now. I thought for some reason that they had them parked tail down like that some way. Boy do I feel dumb.:D

So much for hangaring your airplane to keep the snow off of it which is something I often do. I was at Dulles a week ago too, although not in a hangar...

So much for hangaring your airplane to keep the snow off of it which is something I often do. I was at Dulles a week ago too, although not in a hangar...

I would argue that the hangar was successful in keeping the snow off the planes. They just didn't think to keep the hangar off the planes.

A little bondo and no one will ever know... ;)

Aside from that hangar down at Dulles, there was also a collapse of DAI East hangar at HEF. No planes inside, fortunately.

Those jets are happy to see somebody.

OK, I see it now. I thought for some reason that they had them parked tail down like that some way. Boy do I feel dumb.:D

Don't feel too bad - it took me 3 mins of staring at that picture before I realized what happened.

I didn't know it, but they say the most misspelled word on these pilots forums is HANGAR. A HANGER is something you find in a closet with a jacket on it hooked up to a wooden pole.

I didn't know it, but they say the most misspelled word on these pilots forums is HANGAR. A HANGER is something you find in a closet with a jacket on it hooked up to a wooden pole.

"loose" instead of "lose" isn't number one on the misspelled list?

Just wondering why they didn't remove the snow from the roof before the load became too heavy!?

Just wondering why they didn't remove the snow from the roof before the load became too heavy!?

See, you could make millions selling and installing hangar roof heating systems. Doesn't have to keep the roof super warm--just automatic, and warm enough to melt the snow when required.

I'm in IAD today at Landmark. My plane is being worked on so I head on over to see how it's going. While there I spot a familiar sight...one of the planes that was involved in the roof collapse a couple years ago.

This plane had 500 hours on it when the roof fell (I'm told).

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

I can't believe I never posted my pictures from the tour I got about halfway through their cleanup effort.

38684_777282278090_16900490_44278754_1172793_n.jpg

39352_777281943760_16900490_44278743_2169776_n.jpg

See more here.

Those last two pics look familiar! Same plane I saw...only still had the engines on.

Those last two pics look familiar! Same plane I saw...only still had the engines on.

Yes indeed. They had it sitting with two or three others on the Colgan/Mesa mx ramp, then on Landmark's south ramp for about a year. It's good they're finally doing something with it.

Yes indeed. They had it sitting with two or three others on the Colgan/Mesa mx ramp, then on Landmark's south ramp for about a year. It's good they're finally doing something with it.

Things gotta be worth too much to just scrap

Dunno. I've heard HALF the value of a G-5 is the engines. Now that those are gone what's left? I'd imagine that plane will never fly again and will be parted out.

Dunno. I've heard HALF the value of a G-5 is the engines. Now that those are gone what's left? I'd imagine that plane will never fly again and will be parted out.

You are probably correct, but those engines appear to have been undamaged, so half the value was still intact.

I've never been through it myself, but my understanding is the insurance company decides if the plane is totalled (ie, would cost more to fix than the plane is worth).

If they total it they write a check to the insured and now own the wrecked plane. Once that's done they start selling it. Often they sell the wreck back FO the insured in the case of an airline where the parted plane would still be of worth to the insured.

A private owner would just take the check and buy another and would have no use of the wreck. My guess is that's what happened here and the insurance company sold those engines ASAP to help cover the claim.

Gosh the vertical beams gave way, not the horizontals. I didn't think through the stresses I guess.

Can a hangar owner have enough insurance to cover subrogation for such an event? Suddenly 100-200 per night seems too low, to the person renting out.

I heard that all the planes were totaled as the amount of time to get
them out and the fight over who was going to pay dragged on forever.
Also heard most suffered interior/ avionics water damage and the long
Time since the engines had run made them require a overhaul.
Dave

Gosh the vertical beams gave way, not the horizontals. I didn't think through the stresses I guess.

Can a hangar owner have enough insurance to cover subrogation for such an event? Suddenly 100-200 per night seems too low, to the person renting out.

Thats what I was wondering, sounds like the hangar owner will be on the hook for a lot of cash. Thats why they sell hangars keepers insurance. Cant have enough if you rent a hangar for planes like those.

Just from the photos, what is the liability? Wayne might have ballpark prices on the tip of his tongue. Once we get a wag, is a hangar owner likely to have that kind of coverage? I wonder if individual a/c insurers bother with subrogation in such cases.

55 to 60 Million each plane

Back