"Hangar Talk" description

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
In the past, the description for "Hangar Talk" allowed for discussions on "any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise." It also said that "Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged should be posted in The Spin Zone".

The wording in the description has been changed such that any political, religious, and similar subjects must now be discussed in The Spin Zone. Any threads of that nature, or threads that end up being primarily of that nature will be moved to The Spin Zone at the discretion of the Management Council.

Thank you for making note of this change.

Greg Bockelman
Management Council
Pilots of America

This is obviously censorship perpetrated by (insert random political party ruling or not here) and intended to suppress the free exchange of ideas. This would have never happened when (insert random ex-president here) was president :wink2: .

Exercise a little discretion, and so shall we.

Exercise a little discretion, and so shall we.
Then what has really changed?

I fully understand that it is hard to anticipate every circumstances and for 99.999% of the time the MC in its various incarnation has done a good job. I just am wondering what precipitated this change to the HT description. Was there a topic that caused some concern. Personally I hate the word should being used to describe any rule because its use does mean that a rule is optional. Unlike shall of must which means it is a mandatory requirement.

For many years we have operated with the axiom, as explained by Chuck, that aviation politics even when highly charged, were free to be discussed outside of the SZ. It would now appear that is no longer the case and is why I am respectfully asking for clarification/addition info.

WE need a no tolerance policy in here!

WE need a no tolerance policy in here!
How about a button next to a post that sends it straight to the Spin Zone? No mods need get involved (except poor Jesse has to code it up...)

We changed it because we felt like it. That's all there is to it. Please direct any further questions via registered mail, to Greg Bockelman, the management council public relations officer

Last edited:
We changed it because we felt like it. That's all there is to it. Please direct any further questions via registered mail, to Greg Bockelman, the management council public relations officer

Sidebar: Jesse, nice website!

OK, back to the complaining.

IOWs you decided that no one can discuss certain subjects in a civil mannor.

just because there are certain people here that must have any subject in the SZ so they can attack and ridicule.

Nice, you just made this board a lot less useful in obtaining smart folks opinions.

So you think your little tin-hat management council runs this place? Or what? And so's your old man!

Really folks nothing had changed, we just didn't like the wording previously, aviation related political threads are still permitted. Continue as you always did.

Really folks nothing had changed, we just didn't like the wording previously, aviation related political threads are still permitted. Continue as you always did.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the policy to: "We reserve the right to arbitrarily move or remove any and all threads and posts."?

That is the policy. And posters too. Watch your mouth.:tongue:

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the policy to: "We reserve the right to arbitrarily move or remove any and all threads and posts."?

IOWs you decided that no one can discuss certain subjects in a civil mannor.

just because there are certain people here that must have any subject in the SZ so they can attack and ridicule.

Nice, you just made this board a lot less useful in obtaining smart folks opinions.

Kind of an ironic post, don't you think?

I guess that I'm totally lost here. The mods moved a thread? Is that what this is all about? Or is it just a warning that they will move a thread if they feel like it? :dunno: Anyway, big deal, whatever it is.

Last edited:
I guess that I'm totally lost here. The mods moved a thread? Is that what this is all about? Or is it just a warning that they will move a thread if they feel like it? :dunno: Anyway, big deal, whatever it is.

Before: "Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged should be posted in The Spin Zone."

After: "Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged must be posted in The Spin Zone."

(emphasis mine)

Some thought that the ambiguity left some things in question. It's just been clarified. Nothing has changed.

No IMHO its just a method of increasing thread traffic.

or

a baited trap to see who will step over the line.

or

Seriously Tom? The reason was explained. There is no hidden meaning. Take the tinfoil cap off...

or

Or it's just a clarification like everyone involved in the change has publicly stated.

Seriously Tom? The reason was explained. There is no hidden meaning. Take the tinfoil cap off...

But they're so fashionable!

images

Before: "Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged should be posted in The Spin Zone."

After: "Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged must be posted in The Spin Zone."

(emphasis mine)

Some thought that the ambiguity left some things in question. It's just been clarified. Nothing has changed.

And all this time I would have pegged the phrase "likely to become" as the part in greatest need of clairvoyance clarification.

Responses to this thread reminds me of the FAA's credo: Nothing is so small that we can't make a big deal out of it.

Here's my bottom line on this deal. If you MC yay-hoo's move any of my posts to SZ, I want a pro-rata refund for the fully-allocated cost of the band-width I wasted (including insurance and hangar) by posting it, cause ain't no way I'm gonna go there to get it back.

Last edited:

there ya go, making the assumption I have tin foil.

this whole thread needs to be in the SZ because even the mods are slamming the members for their opinions.

Responses to this thread reminds me of the FAA's credo: Nothing is so small that we can't make a big deal out of it.

Here's my bottom line on this deal. If you MC yay-hoo's move any of my posts to SZ, I want a pro-rata refund for the fully-allocated cost of the band-width I wasted (including insurance and hangar) by posting it, cause ain't no way I'm gonna go there to get it back.

Any sane person who has more than 2 brain cells will not go there.

Wouldn't it be better to eliminate SZ and hold every poster responsible for their comments. you would be surprised how fast this board would be a kinder gentler place.

AS one of my COs once said " a public execution is worth a 1000 private reprimands.

Last edited:
Back