Hangar space - atlanta area?

Mistake Not...

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mistake Not...
Considering a job in the Atlanta Area. Anyone know if there are any vacancies at all? I think the job is on the georgia tech campus, so "close" to that would be ideal.

Here's a thread from 2015: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ea-hangar-search-question.84473/#post-1849202
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ea-hangar-search-question.84473/#post-1849202
Nearest airports to Georgia Tech, which is Midtown Atlanta, are KPDK (Peachtree Dekalb) and KFTY (Fulton County Airport) IIRC @N747JB has an airplane at KFTY and it's about $5000 per year. KPDK is reputed to have a very long waiting list, and KCNI (Cherokee County) and KRYY (McCollum) have long ones as well. You may find something farther out. The only places I've heard that have good availability are an hour plus from Midtown Atlanta during non-traffic periods, and would be two plus at evening rush.

It does hail here periodically, so a hangar is a very good idea.

I had this conversation with a guy at KVPC today. The FBO told him there is a 10 year waiting list. That ain't exactly true. If everyone on the waiting list said "yes" when the call came, it might be a 10 year wait. Realistically, the wait is much less because people quit aviation, sell the airplane, find a hangar elsewhere, move, etc. so when an opening comes available, they generally go 10 names down the list before they get an "I'll take it". This is the case at a lot of fields.

Also, there are private hangars on many of the local fields where you might work a deal outside of the FBO's waiting list.

All that said, I'd call Lawrenceville. My sense is there is space available there more often than elsewhere. Another place to look would be the private field Stockmar - which is West of Atlanta near I-20.

PDK is probably the closest, but you can get to FTY quicker from Tech during most times of the day.The traffic is terrible going to FTY, but it's horrendous going to PDK! :rolleyes: I'm hangared a FTY, Hill aircraft, I'm paying $750 for my Conquest I, my 182 was 475-500, I don't recall the exact $. That is in the community hangar, I don't know if they have space, I'm pretty sure they have tie downs available.

Thanks everyone!

Eppy, I called LZU yesterday, waiting for a call back. The girl didn't know but was going to find out. The older thread posted above also gave me some ideas. This is pretty much a deal breaker... I'm not leaving the plane behind, but wouldn't mind (well, I would, but I'd do it) driving 1+ hour to get to it. Still better than driving 8 hours home when I could fly two.

Lots of empty hangars at KLZU

I believe the request was for the "Atlanta area", not north Georgia. :p

Mistake Not, my joking with Randy aside, it's more like 35-40 min from GA Tech on a weekend morning. I'm in Vinings and flew a SR22 at LZU for 4+ years. Just watch you velocity on 316 when traffic is light as I've seen plenty of ticketing along that route when traffic is light. You may want to get a Peach Pass too. It makes it nice to get around small traffic issues.

FTY will be pricier if you want hangar space as they just have big hangars. Not too bad if a tie-down is acceptable, but since you asked about hangars it's probably not. I wish someone there would get their act together and close down the little runway 9-27 and put t-hangars in that area. FTY is a nice little airport and Stockmar and Paulding county are both nearby for cheap fuel.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd really rather not have a tie down. The plane is in really good shape for being as old as it is, and I think that's at least partially due to having been hangared constantly. The thought of leaving it out during hail season makes me ill.

This isn't an easy decision assuming I'm offered the job... the plane makes it easy to continue to see family and friends, but it looks like Atlanta was designed, on purpose, to be the absolute worst city to commute to work in. If I can't have the plane in reasonable distance (not driving back to HSV just to use it), then it's a non-starter.

I believe the request was for the "Atlanta area", not north Georgia. :p

Mistake Not, my joking with Randy aside, it's more like 35-40 min from GA Tech on a weekend morning. I'm in Vinings and flew a SR22 at LZU for 4+ years. Just watch you velocity on 316 when traffic is light as I've seen plenty of ticketing along that route when traffic is light. You may want to get a Peach Pass too. It makes it nice to get around small traffic issues.

FTY will be pricier if you want hangar space as they just have big hangars. Not too bad if a tie-down is acceptable, but since you asked about hangars it's probably not. I wish someone there would get their act together and close down the little runway 9-27 and put t-hangars in that area. FTY is a nice little airport and Stockmar and Paulding county are both nearby for cheap fuel.
Good news, they closed 9/27!! I don't think they are building hangars though! :eek: I've been based at FTY for 25 years+ and the traffic has decreased steadily for the last 10-15 years. If it wasn't for Coca Cola, Home Depot and Bellsouth, the tower would be closing at 10PM. They have about a dozen T-hangars, but I don't know who controls them or what they rent for.

Good news, they closed 9/27!! I don't think they are building hangars though! :eek:

Yeah, that would be far too logical for the city of Atlanta to build hangars there. o_O :mad:

A little dirt and they could have a small GA ramp on the north side with Sandy Creek Rd as the entry way. They could build a lot of t-hangars over there and collect rent and taxes. *sigh*

KCTJ might have some and there are some privately owned ones at KCCO that were for rent a while back both pretty far out though

I'll check both. Someone mentioned CCO on the 2015 thread above, it's encouraging to see that there are still openings.

There are many reasons GA is shrinking, but something as simple as finding a place to park your plane isn't helping. (And it's not like it's a $10000 boat. It's a major investment for most of us.)

Another option is Stockmar; 20GA. It's a private field, but has public access and cheap 100LL. No approaches though. It's west of FTY, but east of CTJ. Used to pick up fuel there all the time when I flew out of FTY as it was often $2/gal cheaper.

Another option is Stockmar; 20GA. It's a private field, but has public access and cheap 100LL. No approaches though. It's west of FTY, but east of CTJ. Used to pick up fuel there all the time when I flew out of FTY as it was often $2/gal cheaper.
Fuel is cheap but that place is gnarly when the winds pick up.

20GA has a private RNAV approach.

@blurceo is based there, he might know what the hangar situation is like.

PDK is ridiculous and the management is useless. Currently a 27 plane waitlist for tiedowns (even though there are plenty that aren't being used). I paid $168/mo for a tiedown through Epps. Hangars are a daydream, don't even think about it.

There are (at least) two hangar providers at LZU. Air Harbor is on the south side. I know the guy who owns the north side hangars, but don't know the name of the company. Call the airport manager's office for both phone numbers.

NOTAMs list it closed until 5/31, not permanently closed.
I thought it was permanent? I have only used it once about 11 years ago, when I had the Citation. :eek: They are building a huge warehouse on the north side of the airport!

I thought it was permanent? I have only used it once about 11 years ago, when I had the Citation. :eek: They are building a huge warehouse on the north side of the airport!

It's probably like 16/34 closure at KPDK. Doubtful it'll ever reopen, but they just put out a new NOTAM once every few months to extend the closure.

I think I've only used it once as well, 10+ years ago. I was doing a complex endorsement flight / time-in-type for insurance flight. On the downwind the CFI decides we're going to do 9 instead of 8. Mind you the flight school/club had a rule against runways under 3,000' (insurance), but I think it could get waved; runway 9 at FTY is 2,801' long. We turned off at taxiway K, midway down the runway. :rolleyes:

Too bad if they are not building t-hangars. It would be a great use of the space. Waaaay too logical for them.

It's probably like 16/34 closure at KPDK. Doubtful it'll ever reopen, but they just put out a new NOTAM once every few months to extend the closure.

Ugh, that's an ugly way to proceed. Not a big loss if it's gone, but not a great way to handle it.

Considering a job in the Atlanta Area. Anyone know if there are any vacancies at all? I think the job is on the georgia tech campus, so "close" to that would be ideal.

20GA has a private RNAV approach.

@blurceo is based there, he might know what the hangar situation is like.

PDK is ridiculous and the management is useless. Currently a 27 plane waitlist for tiedowns (even though there are plenty that aren't being used). I paid $168/mo for a tiedown through Epps. Hangars are a daydream, don't even think about it.

I would recommend stockmar 20GA. It's $185 dollars a month for a T-hanger, no waitlist and the gas price is not bad. Yes getting in and out can be a little tough at times because of the wind but you will get used to it. There is an onsite mechanic and he is only $50 dollars an hour so if you use him you will save money on your Annual possibly. We also have a RNAV to runway 10, but they have to approve you for it and you have to go to thru the FISDO to get the plate. It's also a 4.5-degree approach angle to the runway. For comparison, Hill Aircraft at FTY is 425 a month, but it is full service. Pull your plane out and have it waiting for you and what not. RYY is in the same ballpark for price and service. Both have higher gas prices but you do get a tower and ILS approaches. PUJ is sort of a haul from the tech area and I want to say they are around 400 a month? Just a matter of what you want. If you want to come out to stockmar and check it out one day send me a message.

PM sent. Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated.

Back