Hangar Radio

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
I want to put a receiving only radio in the Hangar to listen to local CTAF, or a close by tower or maybe ATIS. Anyone have luck with any particular one?

I use my handheld but I have to keep it near the door as the metal hangar blocks the signal.

I use my handheld but I have to keep it near the door as the metal hangar blocks the signal.

Yes noticed that with the plane. Can't receive anything so was going to hang it right by the door.

I had an old bearcat scanner that received AM airband. I installed this discone antenna at the back of my hangar outside. Reception is great.

I picked up a $10 Uniden scanner on ebay. According to the listing it wouldn't scan but worked fine on a single freq. I guess the guy had no clue how to operate it because it scans just fine, but it sits on 122.9 feeding one channel of the whole house audio.

In my hangar at CJR which is metal, I poked a small antenna out the eaves to get radio reception inside when the doors are closed. If the doors are open, it's typically not a problem.

I would assume a regular handheld would suffice, or the scanners mentioned before. I would just hook up an antenna placed on on the roof or under the eaves as Ron mentioned will likely give the best reception and better chances of picking up more frequencies.

I came across a Sporty's Scanner on Ebay for $10. I couldn't pick anything up at my house ever so I gave it to my flight school. I put an old Mag Mount antenna on it to get it higher and outside the metal hanger building. We were scanning approach and departure as well as the tower and were picking up a little too much noise but were getting some fairly far off traffic. I played with the antenna which didn't seem to change anythign and then I found a filter for it online which cleaned it up well but it cost forty bucks or so. Overall good set-up for $50 bucks, just took some time to sort out.

I put an old ELT antenna on my hangar roof and use a retired Narco Comm 120 as a hangar radio. Works like a charm.
Paul
Salome, AZ

Use a portable an old bendix king ,placed near the door turn up volume.

Back