Hangar radio

Roadracin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Roadracin
What are you guys using to listen to local frequencies in the hangar? Looking for a speaker base station that I can play tower etc while I’m there.
thanks.

I picked up an old scanner off ebay for $40.

Yep ... bought an old Radio Shack scanner years ago at a close out sale. Forget what I paid but the old thing seems to be about bullet proof ...

So old scanners cover our frequencies? I’m going to have to hunt ebay!

How does one set a scanner to just listen to a single frequency? I’ve not touched one since I was a child listening to my grandmas scanner..

Some scanners cover airband, some don't. You need to pick one that does. I've never seen a scanner that DOESN'T let you enter one frequency without scanning.

I've bought a used UNIDEN off ebay for $10 a long time ago. The guy who sold it said it didn't scan. Fine by me, I say, I don't need it to scan. Turns out he was an idiot. The thing works normally (scanning and all). I've got it set to the airport CTAF and it feeds a channel on the whole house audio system.

No, not all have av freq.

You can lock out all the other channels and just listen to one or two.

I have a handheld scanner that I carry in my truck, sit at the fence under short final. I listen to ATIS prestart, throw it in the flight bag in case COM craps. Listen to ground, tower, and appch in the hangar.

...Listen to ground, tower, and appch in the hangar.

Hmmm. No wonder I don't fit in.
I'm still listening to The Stones, Chuck Berry, some Elvis, a bit of CCR, Dylan (Bob, not Thomas ;)) on the old Sansui receiver and speakers that arrived with my wife (along with some other stuff from her apartment) when I got married, and got relegated to the hangar (not me, the Sansui stuff :D ).

The scanner I have set up in my hangar has a manual or scan setting. When I use the scan mode I lock out all except CTAF and AWOS. In manual mode I monitor CTAF only.

I use my handheld on it's charging base. I think a base station type radio with an external antenna would be better, since big metal boxes aren't conducive to radio reception.

Standard Horizon used to make a model of handheld marine/aviation/wx/FM bands radio. Don’t have the model number right now but will edit it in later. Waterproof. Can broadcast on Marine but receive only on Av. I carry one in Cedar Key when kayaking and just around house monitoring CTAF.
Show up on eBay occasionally
<edit: Standard Horizon model “SUBMERSIBLE HX600S”>

Last edited:
Back