Hangar Queen Mooneys

Now that you have the cowl off. try getting a mag off. or the alternator out. Unless you have one that allows the engine to rotate 90 degrees it is an impossible task. the set in a can indented into the fire wall.

It is not imossible and I personally have done both. Having said that, they do require a strategy, small hands can be a plus and might take longer than other planes, IDK.

I'm telling you, you will LOVE an RV. :yes:

It's very true that if you personally are comfortable with experimentals that somebody else built and you don't need back seats, The E/AB category is the way to go. I may join the ranks one day myself.

However, if you need the backseats and you're on a budget, or your wife says "No F'in way!!" to the "experimental" sticker on the door and the panel, then I might steer you towards the Mooney. It's pretty much the "experimental" of the certified group. :D

It's very true that if you personally are comfortable with experimentals that somebody else built and you don't need back seats, The E/AB category is the way to go. I may join the ranks one day myself.

However, if you need the backseats and you're on a budget, or your wife says "No F'in way!!" to the "experimental" sticker on the door and the panel, then I might steer you towards the Mooney. It's pretty much the "experimental" of the certified group. :D

You get around all of those doubts (well, except for that back seat thing) by hiring an expert in finding well-built experimental aircraft.

I was lucky enough to find an excellent guy (Tom Berge) who makes his living entirely off of finding (and buying, and modifying, and training in) Van's RV aircraft. Without such an expert, you are, indeed, potentially opening yourself up to a world of hurt WRT the workmanship and construction of a homebuilt airplane.

With him in your bullpen, however, you have the ability to find and purchase a wide array of expertly built aircraft. In my case, I couldn't be happier with the RV-8A he helped me buy. IMHO, he was worth every penny I paid him, times two.

That said, I like Mooneys, too. :D

It is not imossible and I personally have done both. Having said that, they do require a strategy, small hands can be a plus and might take longer than other planes, IDK.
Yeah it's kinda like assembling a ship in a bottle.

Mooneys are just airplanes. They work just like any other airplane. Airplanes have big-ticket maintenance like engines and paint. Mooneys just have an extra big-ticket time, which is tank reseal. Lot of them have been done, lots haven't. There was a really horrible AD for inspection of the prop hub, but from the looks of it most have been replaced by now.

Find me an airplane that doesn't have type-specific problems or ADs.

Come over to MooneySpace.com with your questions. If you haven't flown in one, post your location and you'll most likely find someone to take you up. Just make sure it isn't an Acclaim owner or you'll be drooling over that 200+ knot performance.

I'm a 24 year owner of an F and have loved every year of ownership. Like any airplane model out there you are going to find hangar queens. My hangar has Pipers that I haven't seen fly in the 5 years I have been based here and a Cessna 177 that has flat tires and enough dust to make Mr. Oreck salivate.

There are some nice C and E models out there. And there are some crazy owners like me who have invested in both maintenance and avionics to keep these earlier birds in top shape.

If you are looking for a fast, stable IFR platform or just a plane to get you from point A to B on a decent fuel burn, Mooneys can accommodate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've put over 125 hours on my M20C in the last 5 months. Guess I'm making up for the guys not flying them. Their loss.

That's pretty much what I've been shopping for (though I would prefer an E model for its fuel injection and increased horsepower). I haven't seen any deals from folks loosing medicals. I've seen several that have been out of annual for years.
Probably because people first spend a couple of years trying to get the medical back, and only when unsuccessful do they admit they'll never fly their baby again.

Where does a medical go once it's been "loosed"?

Yeah it's kinda like assembling a ship in a bottle.

If they don't have the shift mount, sometimes it saves time and effort to just pull the engine and do the work on the cherry picker.

Unfortunatly, many are rotting away before the owners come to that realization.

There are a half dozen Mooney's scattered on my field, grown over. Never to fly again.

There are a lot of planes that are lucky to fly 10-15 hours/year. When I was looking, you'd run across so many planes with low time overhauls done 15 years ago. :(

Probably because people first spend a couple of years trying to get the medical back, and only when unsuccessful do they admit they'll never fly their baby again.

Where does a medical go once it's been "loosed"?

I wonder when the last time any of these folks got ramp checked..... Just sayin...

I've put over 125 hours on my M20C in the last 5 months. Guess I'm making up for the guys not flying them. Their loss.

Wow! That's a lot. Do you commute? Use it for some sort of business? Even if I had the time and reason, I'm not sure I could afford that fuel bill each month.:eek:

Like the OP, last year I decided I wanted a Mooney. I wanted a an economical traveling airplane for two people, a big dog and some luggage. I had a budget of $50K. I started looking for an M20E but then quickly discovered that I could get more for my 50K in a C model. The fuel injection in an E is both a blessing and a curse (hot starts). It took me just two months of intensive looking to find the right Mooney. I had cash in my pocket and was ready to pounce when I found it.

I bought a 1964 M20C, low time, regularly flown, in great condition with a very nice IFR panel within my budget. There are good airplanes out there, you just have to look.

I've put 150 hours on mine in the last 14 months. I flight plan 150kts TAS at 8 gph. I've been all over the country in this Mooney and love it.

Come visit us on MooneySpace.

If the prop AD you're referring to, and the one I just had completed are the same thing, it's literally a non-event. The mechanic pulled up in his truck, removed the spinner, inspected the prop hub, put the spinner back on, and gave me my sticker. Once he got started, I was cranking up 30 minutes later. It passed the test with flying colors.

We could replace it but why fix what isn't broken?

While I believe you completely most of the Mooneys that I'm looking at have had their props replaced almost all the same time from the looks of things, so apparently someone thought that that examination was someone intensive. It is possible that not all mechanics are a savvy is the fellow you used.

it's a NDT Eddy Current Inspection. 100 hour. you can also get the hub filled with red dye and remove the required inspection. Runs about $200. or you can buy the new prop for $9100.00

it's a NDT Eddy Current Inspection. 100 hour. you can also get the hub filled with red dye and remove the required inspection. Runs about $200. or you can buy the new prop for $9100.00

:yikes::eek::hairraise:..........:sad:

While I believe you completely most of the Mooneys that I'm looking at have had their props replaced almost all the same time from the looks of things, so apparently someone thought that that examination was someone intensive. It is possible that not all mechanics are a savvy is the fellow you used.

There is more than one AD on some of the props. There is also a 5 year 500hr, off to the prop shop to tear down AD that makes it so replacing with a Top Prop or other is a good choice.

Depends on the prop it has.

Sad thing about the mooneys there is one at kdkx I am just watching rot because it's owner died and was passed on to his wife. She doesn't want to part with it. Which I can understand but I hate to see a good airplane waste.

Sad thing about the mooneys there is one at kdkx I am just watching rot because it's owner died and was passed on to his wife. She doesn't want to part with it. Which I can understand but I hate to see a good airplane waste.

Can you explain what is happening to her and rent/lease it from her? Tell her her husband would not like to see it sit there and rot away.

I tried that already. She is a very sweet woman and I have no doubt she was a devoted wife. She told me that she couldn't bear to let it go. I am not sure it is in a condition to fly anymore. I went with the purchase angle because it would be a fixer upper

I am in complete and utter agreement. What you MUST realize is that an RV does not match everyone's mission anymore than a Cessna 150 or a bonanza.
*sigh*

1. Good doctor, there are two of you...right?

My -8A has two seats! (As does a -6, -7, -9, and -12.)

2. You want to go far, efficiently...right?

My RV gets better gas mileage than either my car or pickup truck -- at 200 mph!

3. You like modern avionics, right?

I installed a 21st century instrument panel in the RV for 1/5th of the price of putting a less capable panel in my Piper!

Not to mention being able to do much of the work myself.

All these things should enter your decision making process, as i know it has. Get your wife a ride in an RV. She will love it, too.

*sigh*

I installed a 21st century instrument panel in the RV for 1/5th of the price of putting a less capable panel in my Piper!

All these things should enter your decision making process, as i know it has. Get your wife a ride in an RV. She will love it, too.

Jay....

Some people won't drink the nector even if it was given to them.....

Sooner or later they will wake up...... Or not...:sad::sad::sad:

Wow! That's a lot. Do you commute? Use it for some sort of business? Even if I had the time and reason, I'm not sure I could afford that fuel bill each month.:eek:

Nope and nope, but I am building time towards becoming a professional pilot. It's a lot of money to spend, but a lot of fun and hopefully it'll lead somewhere. Just got my IR today at roughly 260hrs TT and hopefully will have my CPL in the next 2 months. Not bad for starting flying just 14 months ago.

Nope and nope, but I am building time towards becoming a professional pilot. It's a lot of money to spend, but a lot of fun and hopefully it'll lead somewhere. Just got my IR today at roughly 260hrs TT and hopefully will have my CPL in the next 2 months. Not bad for starting flying just 14 months ago.

Congrats on the IR.....:cheers::cheers:

I've owned an M20C for years now. It has proven to be a very reliable bird and all the old wife tails I heard about them were mostly just that. Love the Johnson bar landing gear. Simplicity at its best. If you arm works the gear comes up and down in less than 5 seconds. I do most of my own maintenance and find it simple and easy to do most everything. It makes a very nice IFR platform and plan for 8.7 GPH at 140 Kts. My insurance is $850 a year and love flying it on the average over 100 hours per year. Like everything else a good pre-buy is essential. Hangar queens even more so. Find someone who knows Mooneys and knows what to look for.

I am in complete and utter agreement. What you MUST realize is that an RV does not match everyone's mission anymore than a Cessna 150 or a bonanza.

*sigh*

The title of this thread is about Mooneys, not "Tell me why I should buy an RV".

Why do the zealots constantly have to bombard every thread, when someone ask about a particular airframe, with why they must buy the same type of airplane the zealot owns? :dunno:

Last edited:

Ok, got it. Go for it!! :yes::thumbsup:

The title of this thread is about Mooneys, not "Tell me why I should buy an RV".

Why do the zealots constantly have to bombard every thread, when someone ask about a particular airframe, with why they must buy the same type of airplane the zealot owns? :dunno:
Because the last time I saw Steingar, he was hot on an RV.

Because the last time I saw Steingar, he was hot on an RV.

photo-2276_zpsjdlyvpdz.gif

*sigh*

Fist, there are three of us. Me, Mrs. Steingar, and Mrs. Steingar's luggage. Only two seats in most RVs. Second, Mrs. Steingar has seen the things and has a professed dislike. Case closed. By the way, Mrs. Steingar was adamant I go get the Mooney over the July fourth holiday. She is totally on board, amazing for someone who gets airsick. So I'm not going to jinx it by getting the wrong airplane.

As far as the avionics, I think you are stark raving nuts to put that kind of gear in a vfr airplane. You have the best view imaginable. What do you need all that for? Had I an airplane like that I'd want a basic gyro panel in case I blundered into IMC and a handheld gps in case I got lost. I love RVs, hope to have on some day. But it will not be the traveling machine for me and my woman.

As far as the avionics, I think you are stark raving nuts to put that kind of gear in a vfr airplane. You have the best view imaginable. What do you need all that for? Had I an airplane like that I'd want a basic gyro panel in case I blundered into IMC and a handheld gps in case I got lost.

The reality is that the current crop of glass panels is no more expensive than a 6 pack and offers more information and better reliability. I agree that all you really need for a Day VFR airplane is a J-3 panel, but if you're flying lengthy X/C's a few times a year and might do some night work, more capability is advisable.

All that said, I do shake my head at the "arms war" in the RV community around glass panels and electronic doo-dads. I know more than a few timid fliers who only fly daytime and in nice VFR, but who have $20k of glass plus expensive Garmin GPS/Com's in their RV's. Hardly mission necessary, but its their money...

*sigh*

Where is luggage space for my wife for a week, and our little dog and his crate? Or the friends we sometimes take to dinner?

So does my Mooney.

All I need is already there--G430W, AP, modern intercom. Just need an inexpensive something for ADS-B, if I go that route. You know, just like you will need for your RV. Even better, the previous owner did the installation of this, saving me bookoo AMUs for fuel.

I do much of my own maintenance as well, including owner assist annuals.

My darling wife didn't even see the Mooney until the week after I bought it. But she's happy with it. She likes our friends' Bonanzas, too, but knows they cost more to purchase and operate, and she is happy with our plane.

See my comments above. Many of your "RV Arguments" apply to many other aircraft, too. But the big killer is baggage space--your RV will hold my luggage for a week, but not my wife's. Or the two of us, our dog and his crate.

It all boils down to finding an airframe in good condition, with a mechanically sound engine attached to the front of it. For a Mooney, see if the tanks leak when filled to the caps, and check the date molded into the landing gear pucks.

Fly fast! Fly safe! Fly Mooney!

See my comments above. Many of your "RV Arguments" apply to many other aircraft, too. But the big killer is baggage space--your RV will hold my luggage for a week, but not my wife's. Or the two of us, our dog and his crate.

It all boils down to finding an airframe in good condition, with a mechanically sound engine attached to the front of it. For a Mooney, see if the tanks leak when filled to the caps, and check the date molded into the landing gear pucks.

Fly fast! Fly safe! Fly Mooney!
I would be willing to bet that I can fit more luggage in my two luggage compartments than will fit in a Mooneys. But, of course, the back seat is the overflow compartment that I don't have.
:)

I'm just giving the good doctor some good natured crap. Mooneys rock, and most importantly: HIS WIFE TOLD HIM TO BUY ONE! This makes Mooney "the best airplane in the world", right there.
;)

There is more than one AD on some of the props. There is also a 5 year 500hr, off to the prop shop to tear down AD that makes it so replacing with a Top Prop or other is a good choice.

Are you referring to AD number: 2006-18-15? If so, many of us have migrated to the B hub eliminating the recurrent ECI at 100 hours. For the rest, it is $200 inspection.

To Steingar, once you figure out which model you are looking for, come visit the Mooniacs at MooneySpace.com. Lots of experience and good advice on what to look out for on the various model.

There are a number of decent Mooneys out there. Here is the panel of my shabby 1975 F model:

bf3380fcb3b0824122e487200e53d850.jpg

Last edited:
No, the one I am referring to was already in effect in the 90s, it started not long often TRW bought Hartzel, so it would have been around 91. It applied to my Travelair as well. Typical cost after they got done with it was $1500 minimum to $5000 or more as many props were condemned, especially in the first cycle. Since it was recurrent many people just replaced their props.

There was an AD issued for Mooney props in the early 90s that required a mandatory rebuild at a certain time and service limit. That one was modified and is no longer an AD with the same requirements (I will see if I can find it). Most of the early birds are affected by the AD I listed.

There was an AD issued for Mooney props in the early 90s that required a mandatory rebuild at a certain time and service limit. That one was modified and is no longer an AD with the same requirements (I will see if I can find it). Most of the early birds are affected by the AD I listed.

Most of those props have already been scrapped or had $5000+ of work on them, and will get it again. Lots of "Top Props" out there due to this. The primary reason behind all these ADs was to sell props. TRW needed to up the bottom line on a company that wasn't making the volume needed. That's why TRW got a good deal on the company. Pretty sure it's all part of Federal Mogul now.

The limits were 5 year or 500 hour, whichever came first. Most of those props have already been scrapped or had $5000+ of work on them, and will get it again. Lots of "Top Props" out there due to this. The primary reason behind all these ADs was to sell props. TRW needed to up the bottom line on a company that wasn't making the volume needed. That's why TRW got a good deal on the company. Pretty sure it's all part of Federal Mogul now.

Back