Hangar parking winch

Gone Flyin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gone Flyin
Hello to all.

Had an opportunity recently to move my Cessna 150M to a single hangar at Goodspeed Airport 42B, here in Connecticut. Hangars are hard to come by around these parts... so when my number came up, I took it.

GS office.jpeg

https://airfield.guide/filter_airports.asp?892;bJZFhXPPXobHnANavWhb

The section I'm in was probably built around the 1950's. It has the older style three section sliding doors. These are small compared to todays hangers. My 150 fits fine but anything larger, like a 172, would never make it.

hangar.jpeg

As I expected, backing the plane in was a challenge. The trap rock drain at the font of the floor was too much of a hurdle even after I installed three pressure-treated wooden ramps. My answer was to install a tow winch to pull the plane in from the taxi way.

Just thought I'd share how I installed mine for others out there thinking of doing the same. I had a 12v truck winch I picked up at a swap meet some years back for a few dollars. It seemed up to the task. Not wanting to drill any holes in the building, they tend to frown on that, I was able to slide a pair of 2 x 4's down behind the top and middle horizontal wall frame members.

On to this I mounted the winch motor, the 12v battery, the golf cart solenoid and the trickle charger.

complete.jpeg

Attaching the tow cable to the rear tie down was never an option. That tie down is designed for being pulled downward. The sideways shear from a tow cable would pull too hard on the aluminum frame and could damage it. Not worth even trying. I chose to pull on the two landing struts. They're designed to take the stress.

In the end, I made a "Y" configuration out of 25' of 1/8" aircraft cable. I attached a carabiner to each end.

looking forward.jpeg

Using two winch straps, I attached the ends of the cable to each landing strut below the step.

strap.jpeg

The winch cable feeds through another carabiner hanging from the rear tie down eye bolt just to stabilize the cable and keep it drawing straight.

looking aft.jpeg

I made up a 30' cable with a push switch on the end. This way I can steer the nose wheel from the front.

The battery was the smallest, cheapest lawn mower type for around $30. The trickle charger was $19 at Walmart.

Now, it's a pleasure to take my plane out knowing putting it back will be an easy, strain free matter.

The only bad part is... I have to look at this all day.

bridge.jpeg

There ought to be a law!

Last edited:
I love that airport!

Come in right over the river.

Why not pull by the rear tiedown? The flying club I'm in has been doing that with their pipers for 50 years. The winches at BMI are 120V and bolted to the floor; I believe they're original to the hangars.

Clever arrangement with the mounting though. That gravel "moat" looks like a real pain in the butt.

Why not pull by the rear tiedown? The flying club I'm in has been doing that with their pipers for 50 years. The winches at BMI are 120V and bolted to the floor; I believe they're original to the hangars.

Clever arrangement with the mounting though. That gravel "moat" looks like a real pain in the butt.

When I had a manual set up like that I couldn't get the nose to turn. PA28. Ended up going with longer rope and pulley reduction and pulled from the front while steering.

Why not pull by the rear tiedown?

I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen a couple of Cessna's here with damage to their tail structures from pulling by the tie-down ring. There isn't much metal back there, and it isn't designed for a force from the rear like that. They are more designed for a steady, static force from below than a dynamic force from behind.

I don't think I'd pull by the gear leg covers. They're thin aluminum

"I don't think I'd pull by the gear leg covers. They're thin aluminum"

Plenty of support at that point. Note the additional thick frame around the step. I see no issues... but thanks.

Back