Hangar or tiedowns in Miami Florida

ipasgas1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I am moving from Cincinnati to Miami. I have called several FBO's in Miami looking for hangar or tiedown space for an OMF Symphony (between the size of a Cessna 152 and 172). I have not been able to find any space other than one airport which wants either $750/mo for a hangar or $10/day for tiedown!! I guess I expected Miami to be more expensive but GEEZ... In Indiana, I paid $175/mo for a hangar and in Cincinnati, $300. Any ideas on cheaper? Know of any community hangars or hangars for share that may be cheaper? I hate to pay more for my hangar than my plane, insurance, and fuel combined...
Thanks in advance,
Dan:dunno:

Welcome to Southern Florida ! Notice how no one chimed in with any relief ? That's because there ain't none ! Wait till you get a bill for windstorm insurance for your house. This is just the beginning!

Hate to say it, but anything south of West palm beach is not particularly friendly to working class ga owners. Just like living in NYC or sfo, when you commit to reside on these areas you're making a fundamental lifestyle tradeoff. That's why I would never move to these areas, they're just not compatible with the things I wish to afford. To each their own. Good luck to ya.

A shade port is cheaper than a hangar. At HWO I pay about $280 per month with tax at Hollywood Aviation.

My club has a tiedown at Pelican Aviation at KHWO (North Perry). I am not sure what the cost is but my belief is that it's much cheaper than those prices. Give 'er a shot.

Miami, or South Florida? Where you live makes a big difference if you want to use the plane much. If you want to use the plane, use the closest airport to you, otherwise just the traffic will keep you from flying.

Miami, or South Florida? Where you live makes a big difference if you want to use the plane much. If you want to use the plane, use the closest airport to you, otherwise just the traffic will keep you from flying.

Soooo True.....

To the OP... I bet there is a "airpark" in your future..... There are several to pick from...

Homestead wants $800 month for a hanger. Don't know for a tie down.$$$$:yikes:

How many airports down here does Sheltair control most of the real estate? Every now and then I see a hangar or shade come up at N Perry, but if you're in Miami proper, that's an ugly drive.

Any update on this topic would be greatly appreciated, Tamiami or Homestead.

Also any of you will be open to operating from Dade-Collier if airport get a little development?

Nothing like it was original planned just GA, tie downs, hangars and fuel perhaps?

Under some sort of consent decree reached right after the first runway at Dade Collier was completed back around 1970 or so, the airport was declared to have been environmentally incompatible with the endangered Everglades, and further development was stopped. It was agreed that, to prevent the runway from being removed, it would only be used for transient operations and no aircraft would be based there. The airport is currently run by the Dade County Aviation Department; however, the U.S. Department of Defense maintains a heavy background presence there. The facility is occasionally closed to all access and used for military and "Black OPs" practice or other "under wraps" operations. Unless things have changed since I left over 10 years ago, aircraft are still not allowed to be based there.

Their website says the county is looking for ways to generate income from the place, things always change.

Just asking.

Back