Hangar Internet

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
The closest internet connection to the hangar is about a football field away and cannot be bridged (or tunneled) with wire, so a wireless connection is mandatory.

Can anybody point me to a BONEHEAD SIMPLE explanation of how to do a wireless connection from a DSL modem to the hangar? I have two TP-Link TL-WA5210G Wireless CPE (and I have no idea what CPE means) boxes ready to go.

BONEHEAD SIMPLE ... so that even this doddering old RF engineer can understand it :yes:

Thanks,

Jim

You will need to set up 2 or more wireless repeaters to span the 300'.
do an online search for wifi extender, wireless repeater, network extender. They use all those names.
Buy them at Amazon, Best Buy, New Egg, TigerDirect.

You will need to set up 2 or more wireless repeaters to span the 300'.
do an online search for wifi extender, wireless repeater, network extender. They use all those names.
Buy them at Amazon, Best Buy, New Egg, TigerDirect.

Thank you, sir, I already have the wireless repeaters (as I said in the OP) but the manual on how to configure them is written in Chinglish. I need to find a site that tells me how to use them.

THanks,

Jim

You should be able to plug on into the DSL Router/Switch and then the other should be connected to a small switch in the hanger. You will want to mount these outside and facing each other as much as possible. They will need to be set up in bridge mode.

Do these have external power supplies that you will be using? If not, you will need PoE witches on both side to connect them to.

You may need to purchase better antennas to span the distance but I would try without first

Wow, they look like a pretty cool solution for the price. It powers through the Ethernet cable, so you don't need to run power directly to the mount location (only a CAT5e data cable). Do you need a wired connection in the hangar, or just wireless. If it is just wireless, it looks like you could add a grid antenna and pick it up from that distance without needing to bridge. If you are looking for wired, you need to put them in AP Bridge mode.

You should be able to plug on into the DSL Router/Switch and then the other should be connected to a small switch in the hanger. You will want to mount these outside and facing each other as much as possible. They will need to be set up in bridge mode.

Do these have external power supplies that you will be using? If not, you will need PoE witches on both side to connect them to.

You may need to purchase better antennas to span the distance but I would try without first

It looks like they ship with the PoE injector included.
What's in the Box

High Power Wireless Outdoor CPE, power adapter, power injector, mounting kits, quick installation guide, and resource CD.

Exactly the kind of stuff that I need a BONEHEAD SIMPLE website to interpret for me. I've never seen a PoE witch, not even on Hallowe'en, nor does plug on to a DSL router/switch mean anything to me.

BONEHEAD SIMPLE website would really be nice.

Thanks,

Jim

Do you have a "smart" phone? If so, just create a local network to the phone and use the cell network for internet. With an IPhone 5 it is very simple.

That is what I do for basic weather, email, and filing flight plans.

Simply get a phone that will provide a WIFI hot spot for your iPad :(

For an Android phone use FoxFi, connect with USB, no hotspot fees. The bonus is it works everywhere, not just your hangar.

The closest internet connection to the hangar is about a football field away and cannot be bridged (or tunneled) with wire, so a wireless connection is mandatory.

Can anybody point me to a BONEHEAD SIMPLE explanation of how to do a wireless connection from a DSL modem to the hangar? I have two TP-Link TL-WA5210G Wireless CPE (and I have no idea what CPE means) boxes ready to go.

BONEHEAD SIMPLE ... so that even this doddering old RF engineer can understand it :yes:

Thanks,

Jim

Get a directional antenna at your source, and a directional antenna at your site.... then have a nondirectional antenna for wireless within the immediate hangar environment. I dont know enough about the CPE thingys to know what they do. I have just heard that the directional antenna would be good for a mile or two line of sight, from a techhie who was helping us out at our hangar..

We were gonna essentially PAY for someone to have cable modem on their property and then set up our wireless rig from there, since cable into the hangar wasn't an option.

If you want BONEHEAD SIMPLE, get a hotspot or set up your phone to be able to be a hotspot/tether.. 3g 4g whatever.

Last edited:
Exactly the kind of stuff that I need a BONEHEAD SIMPLE website to interpret for me. I've never seen a PoE witch, not even on Hallowe'en, nor does plug on to a DSL router/switch mean anything to me.

BONEHEAD SIMPLE website would really be nice.

Thanks,

Jim

He meant PoE switch, but you don't need it. It comes with an injector, so a standard switch will work. There is a built in directional antenna on each unit, which will work for bridging line of site.

Last edited:
OK, let's try this again. I'm an RF engineer. I can made a 30 dBi gain antenna out of popsicle sticks and tissue paper. I don't CARE about the RF link, nor do I care to use my iPad, my Bluetooth, my cell phone or my fairydust resonators.

AT&T is dropping me a DSL line and a modem. I want to shoot that modem to my hangar through the hardware I wrote about. Anybody point me to a BONEHEAD SIMPLE website that tells me in English that a competent History major can understand how do do that?

Thanks,

Jim

OK, let's try this again. I'm an RF engineer. I can made a 30 dBi gain antenna out of popsicle sticks and tissue paper. I don't CARE about the RF link, nor do I care to use my iPad, my Bluetooth, my cell phone or my fairydust resonators.

AT&T is dropping me a DSL line and a modem. I want to shoot that modem to my hangar through the hardware I wrote about. Anybody point me to a BONEHEAD SIMPLE website that tells me in English that a competent History major can understand how do do that?

Thanks,

Jim

I have read that setup is pretty easy on those. Have you tried running through the setup software. The wizard will most likely walk you through it fine. The PoE injectors go in line between the unit and your Ethernet switch. You will need another small switch on the hangar side to plug your computer(s) into. These are commonly sold to WISPs (wireless Internet service providers) as Customer Premise Equipment (CPE). It would then be the termination handoff for that type of Internet connection. In your case, you are going to configure it in AP (Access Point) bridge mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

is 4G available? Then get one of those little boxes and permanently wire it and attach it and use it as a hotspot. . .

A strong 4G signal is faster generally than non-compressed DSL. ..

Hey jim. Build a rather broadbanded 2.5 ghz yagi and place it on one or ends (provided your routers have external antenna connections).

You can buy ones already assembled in weatherproof enclosures for under $50 however.

If they're providing a DSL modem, then it will most likely be set up to bridge the DSL to a single twisted pair ethernet jack. Get a router with an external antenna for the wifi.

On the hangar end you'll need another device, what I'd recommend depends if you need wifi in the hangar or just wired ethernet.

Last edited:
I used a "can-tenna" on my hangar - a stainless flour cannister with a piece of stripped 12AWG poked thru the side. Aimed it at my wireless router in the house. PCMCIA (sic) card with an antenna port for the laptop. Worked for 5 years. Popsicles and tissue paper so to speak. Heck, it might have been one of your designs....

Good luck with the solution you committed to. Five years from now we'll be looking at wired internet connections like we now look at phone booths. 3G/4G hotspots are happening.

OK, let's try this again. I'm an RF engineer. I can made a 30 dBi gain antenna out of popsicle sticks and tissue paper. I don't CARE about the RF link, nor do I care to use my iPad, my Bluetooth, my cell phone or my fairydust resonators....

Okay, then you should have titled the thread "Science Project" because using your phone is dead-nuts simple and you'd already be up and running. Why build a wheel out of scratch when you've already got one in your pocket? :dunno:

Actually, I extended the range of one of the wifi repeaters in my hangar with a foil food service tray.

Geez, guys, you all ignored his master commandment; "BONEHEAD SIMPLE" :goofy:

Here's your solution: Find someone that knows how to do this, take him for a flight in return for setting it up.

Doesn't get any more simple than that!

For an Android phone use FoxFi, connect with USB, no hotspot fees. The bonus is it works everywhere, not just your hangar.

Can I connect my Nexus device via FoxFi USB?
I'm not sure if there is a cable designed to do this, wouldn't it have to be micro USB to micro USB?

You'd be a lot better off to find someone that knows this stuff to show you. The terms in the configuration is different between every model even on the same manufacturer. It's extremely unlikely you're going to find a set of directions or a video that makes it bonehead simple because it never is. There are a lot of "layers" of technology that make this sort of thing work and you're going to be seriously bashing your head without knowing them.

Typing this on my iPad connected to the interwebs via foxfi and my Droid 4, simple, cheap, easy

Thanks,

Jim

I live on a 45 acre farm. I needed wifi in a building about 1500 feet away. I mounted a Cable N Wireless 18dbi 2.4GHz Wifi High Gain Yagi Antenna ( from Amazon.com) on a old Sony satelite dish and mounted the dish on an outside wall ( near my d-link dir-655 wireless router and connected the Yagi antenna's cable (Supplied with unit) to one of the antenna jacks on the router) and aimed the dish toward the other building. I installed the Amped Wireless High-Power Wireless-300N Smart Repeater (SR300) on the inside wall of the other building. Right off the bat I had a maximun 5 bar signal all over the other location from the Repeater. Well worth the money!!

Amped Wireless High-Power Wireless-300N Smart Repeater (SR300),

Cable N Wireless 18dbi 2.4GHz Wifi High Gain Yagi Antenna 18 dB 2.4 GHz Wifi Yagi Antenna Booster For IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n Wireless LAN Bluetooth, Public Wireless Hotspot, WiFi, RFID, Wireless Video Systems 18db 18 dbi

http://www.amazon.com/Brands-Wirele...8&qid=1379716962&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireles...h-Power+Wireless-300N+Smart+Repeater+(SR300),

http://boingboing.net/2013/09/19/amped-wireless-range-extender.html

Okay, then you should have titled the thread "Science Project" because using your phone is dead-nuts simple and you'd already be up and running. Why build a wheel out of scratch when you've already got one in your pocket? :dunno:

That's the way I'm doing it now, and it is dead-nuts simple. HOWEVER, there is a 4 gig per month bandwidth limitation plus $10 for every gig over that and I'm hitting the limit and paying the fee quite regularly. DSL has no bandwidth limitation.

Jim

I've had pretty good luck with these:

http://tinyurl.com/engeniusENH200

You set up the one connected to the DSL modem as a wireless access point and the remote end as either a client bridge or client router.

Client bridge puts the remote network on the same subnet as the source, client router makes them separate. If you don't care or know why you'd do one vs the other go with client bridge.

I've had pretty good luck with these:

http://tinyurl.com/engeniusENH200

You set up the one connected to the DSL modem as a wireless access point and the remote end as either a client bridge or client router.

Client bridge puts the remote network on the same subnet as the source, client router makes them separate. If you don't care or know why you'd do one vs the other go with client bridge.

OK, you sound like you know what you are talking about, so here we go ... I want to do a link test before I call out the phone company to drop me a DSL line. THat is, I want to be sure that from where the DSL modem is going to be that I can actually HIT the hangar through some moderately thick tree cover. A hundred yards isn't much, but through tree cover it might give me a problem.

I've got a few lappys around here with cat-5 connectors. Is there a way of turning one of them into a digital signal generator that I can plumb into the transmit box at the DSL site to see if I can hit the receive box on the hangar?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
OK, you sound like you know what you are talking about, so here we go ... I want to do a link test before I call out the phone company to drop me a DSL line. THat is, I want to be sure that from where the DSL modem is going to be that I can actually HIT the hangar through some moderately thick tree cover. A hundred yards isn't much, but through tree cover it might give me a problem.

I've got a few lappys around here with cat-5 connectors. Is there a way of turning one of them into a digital signal generator that I can plumb into the transmit box at the DSL site to see if I can hit the receive box on the hangar?

Thanks,

Jim

Any laptop can be your "signal generator". Give it a static address and then take another laptop or netbook and ping it from the other side. They need to addressed on the same subnet, though (for bridging)

Go to a command prompt and ping the remote address.

That's the way I'm doing it now, and it is dead-nuts simple. HOWEVER, there is a 4 gig per month bandwidth limitation plus $10 for every gig over that and I'm hitting the limit and paying the fee quite regularly. DSL has no bandwidth limitation.

Jim

I see. I used to have an unlimited plan but they nixed that when I upgraded and now it's 2G/mo but so far I've never hit it. One thing I did different was to leave WiFi auto-connect on so anytime I'm at home or anyplace where there is WiFi it doesn't count against my allotment but I'll admit I haven't used it all that much since my plan was changed so maybe that limit could be a problem I just haven't noticed yet.

Any laptop can be your "signal generator". Give it a static address and then take another laptop or netbook and ping it from the other side. They need to addressed on the same subnet, though (for bridging)

Go to a command prompt and ping the remote address.

Do you realize how may assumptions of knowledge those four sentences contain?

BTW, if you are in Rocklin, where do you keep your steed?

Jim

Do you realize how may assumptions of knowledge those four sentences contain?

BTW, if you are in Rocklin, where do you keep your steed?

Jim

Hence my comment above that you're going to be better off just having someone that knows this stuff help you. (advice from the guy that really knows this stuff)

The small picture isn't too good. Is that an Arrow, and did we fly to Oshkosh about ten years ago in loose formation through Iowa CIty?

Jim

It is a Cherokee 140 (I am hopefully trading up to a 235 or something like it soon). I have only been flying for a little more than three years. I am in Salem, OR until Wednesday, but I will PM my cell number, if you like. I am not trying to speak jargon and Jesse is right. There are a lot of different ways to configure these, so it would be difficult to create an easy "cookbook". I understand what you are trying to do. If you don't have line of sight, it could be an issue, but you are the RF guy and probably know more about that than me. Testing and configuring it shouldn't take too long for someone who works with this technology. Most of the time will be mounting the units and running the cable, which you probably won't have a problem doing yourself. How blocked is the path?

How blocked is the path?

The antennas on both ends are 12 dB (isotropic) so that gives me a 24 dB head start, and with this my best guess at 2 GHz is that I'll have an excess foliage blockage over free path of about that -24 dB. With the power levels and receiver sensitivity stated, there ought to be a noise margin of about 60 dB, so those trees can get awful wet before we lose our signal. AWFUL wet.

I can "see" another network that is at ground level at this location with nothing more than the antenna inside a laptop at the receive location, so I'm not really expecting any major hiccups, but I'm a true devotee of Edsel Murphy when it comes to saying "Nothing can go wrong".

I'd appreciate any help you may be able to give. I've got a call in to several of my colleagues at the college in Rocklin, so perhaps I can get some pointers from them as well.

I've got a light pole on which to mount the antenna for testing and running cat-5 cable isn't going to be a problem ... again referencing Brother Murphy.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Thanks,

Jim

At the default power level I'm getting a 15-20 db S/N with a clear path across almost 300 yards. The power out can be raised 6 db above what I'm using and these units seem to be happy with 10-12 db S/N. I think you'd be OK going through trees at 100 yards but it's hard for me to estimate the loss created by wet foliage.

As to using the Ethernet port for a 2.4 GHz signal source I don't know of any way to do that beyond connecting said port to something like the WiFi radio I provided the link to. The same company (engeniustech.com) has several other radios, some of which can be used with external antennas any you might want to consider one that would allow you to improve the S/N with an antenna with a tighter pattern and subsequent higher gain. The also make 5GHz versions but I suspect that the higher frequency would suffer even more from the trees attenuating the signal.

The ENH200 radios only cost about $70 so you might just buy a pair and try it. If that doesn't work you there's a good chance that replacing one of them with a high gain yagi or phased antenna coupled to a radio that has an external RF connection and keeping the other ENH200 as a spare.

Back