Hangar Insurance

Ace66

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ace66
Does anyone recommend a broker other than Falcon for hangar insurance? I'm tired of their harassment and don't recommend them.

What about general like Farmers etc?
If your plane has its coverage, I assume my general insurer can cover the hangar and contents just like a storage unit? I just got a hangar and am also researching this

We use a commercial building insurer...as in NOT aviation related.

What's the name of the commercial building insurer?

Hmmm... I never thought about hangar insurance... What does this cover? Contents, liability, etc? I rent from a municipality so figured they would be on the hook for liability?

Just checked with our association guy...we use State Farm. Sorry about the "commercial insurer" bit.

My understanding is that it covers the structure and contents not covered by other insurance like plane on its insurance, a classic car on your car policy, etc.

Hmmm... I never thought about hangar insurance... What does this cover? Contents, liability, etc? I rent from a municipality so figured they would be on the hook for liability?
The municipality insurance should cover what your plane insurance doesn't.

However, it is my understanding that if you keep a plane in there that is not registered to you and there is a fire or something they might be able to come after the renter. Probably hidden in most modern agreements.

What does this cover? Contents, liability, etc?

If your hangar burns and takes out the neighbor's hangar including his $4M Citation, or even a couple of nearby Bonanzas; or a door falls on someone (this has happened more than once), or you loan it out to a pal for his plane while you are away & some calamity takes out his bird, or or or... I have seen a microburst yank a hangar out by its roots and flip it completely over on its back. There are so many things that have the potential to come back to you even if it is freakishly rare.

At one point my a/c insurance came with $1M liability for such things, so start with your a/c policy first. They may be able to add it on if it's not already.

Just for clarification.... I own the hangar and lease the land from the city. I'm not looking for "renter's insurance".

Thanks for the replies. I'm waiting to hear back from Allstate. I did contact my aircraft insurance company but they said it was a separate policy and they weren't competitive. Our city does require $1M liability.

Back