Hangar Heat

Goofy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Goofy
Am going to need to leave my hangar unattended this winter for the first time. No more house to bring home epoxy, paint, extra avionics etc. Will put a short golden rod in the plane with extra avionics but wondered if anyone has ideas on a thermostat for another rod in a locker just to prevent freeze damage the 3 or 4 nights it freezes here?
Or any other suggestions from folks in cold country without heated hangars.
Thank you!

Last edited:
You can pick up a temp-specific electrical plug at your local big box hardware store. When the temp goes below the temp, the plug turns on. Shouldn't cost more than $8-15.

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2

There's like 6 different temp ranges. I originally used this with my engine heater, but after a year or 2 of Colorado winters, I went with one of the cell-phone switches that could turn on/off remotely.

That will work perfect to control the rod in a cabinet, thank you!

Freeze damage on an airplane? What are you trying to protect?

Freeze damage on an airplane
Didn't say that. If you have something to contribute, read the post more carefully.
And most folks know that near those temps may include moisture. Most of my paperwork gets really wrinkled from it in winter. Don't feel that's great for electronics. If I'm wrong, I'd rather err on caution. Repeat, first time abondoning my hangar over winter.

Last edited:
Am going to need to leave my hangar unattended this winter for the first time. No more house to bring home epoxy, paint, extra avionics etc. Will put a short golden rod in the plane with extra avionics but wondered if anyone has ideas on a thermostat for another rod in a locker just to prevent freeze damage the 3 or 4 nights it freezes here?
Or any other suggestions from folks in cold country without heated hangars.
Thank you!

Didn't say that. If you have something to contribute, read the post more carefully.
And most folks know that near those temps may include moisture. Most of my paperwork gets really wrinkled from it in winter. Don't feel that's great for electronics. If I'm wrong, I'd rather err on caution. Repeat, first time abondoning my hangar over winter.

Dear Goofy.

I read the highlighted line in your message, and it was unclear to me what was at risk of freeze damage. So I asked a clarifying question.

Sorry I tried to help you. I won't make the same mistake again.

Kyle

You're just a bundle of pleasant friendliness. you pretty much just guaranteed yourself a dozen useless responses like this one.

Goofy,

Curious as to what part of the country you live in where you need a dehumidifier in the winter. That's the last thing we need around this neck of the woods...heated or not...

Goofy,

Curious as to what part of the country you live in where you need a dehumidifier in the winter. That's the last thing we need around this neck of the woods...heated or not...

Nor Cal. Always brought my stuff home to avoid the rare freeze and kept my spare avionics home too but won't be able to this year. Remarkable the ignorant posts that this has drawn.

Last edited:
You should move the plane to Mexico. One freeze and a plane is totally destroyed.

Yeah, I can imagine humidity there....
Gee, maybe some photos of wrinkled paperwork in my binder library would convince you? Ah hell, why bother. Go troll elsewhere.

Put some DampRid in the plane if it's the humidity that you're concerned with. You can also just use regular lightbulbs sufficiently protected from contact with stuff. Didn't realize what @murphey suggested existed, very cool.

Thanks Bravo. Tried damp rid in a gun safe, was gone in a few weeks. The rods are used for boats and gun safes. Putting one in the plane for its panel, probably not necessary, but for a bunch of extra avionic spares I'll have to preserve. Maybe not necessary but want them to be dry and happy. All way cheaper and much longer lasting than lightbulbs.
Murphey had a great idea for my cabinet full of paint, epoxy, etc.

I found the golden rod useless in the hangar. Tried it in the motorhome. Found it useless. Threw it in the trash.

I found the golden rod useless in the hangar. Tried it in the motorhome. Found it useless. Threw it in the trash.
Looks like the biggest one is only rated to handle 500 cubic feet, so no surprise it didn't work in a hangar, only the biggest would work in a moderately sized motor home.

but after a year or 2 of Colorado winters, I went with one of the cell-phone switches that could turn on/off remotely.

I'm now a good hour away from the plane, so going down the night before to plug in the heater sucks. Have a model you recommend?

Here are the details

http://www.gsm-auto.com/

If you're willing to do a bit of work EAA Sport Pilot had the instructions sometime in the past couple months. I looked at it and laughed. I certainly wouldn't use it in my hangar. Technically correct but a really poor overall design for safety.

Here are a couple others - remember, you want something that's at least 15 amp, preferably 20 amp.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Quarkelec/gsm-sms-remote-control-switch-three-relays-output/
https://www.banggood.com/Cellphone-...ckets-Smart-Socket-Power-Switch-p-926484.html

Otherwise, here's one that's already built with excellent customer service. I started to build one, then just called and ordered this one many years ago:

http://switchboxcontrol.com/the-switch-box/

Thanks. Yeah... I fool around with electronics on the side, but I'm low power and digital. A man's got to know his limitations. :D

I just realized I’m reading about a Californian, his golden rod, and what he’s planning on doing to his airplane.

I’m out! LOL. ;)

Back