Hangar Floor Solutions

Direct C51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Direct C51
I recently started renting a T-Hangar that I got a great deal on, and best of all, is maybe 30 steps away from where I work. The only problem is that it is sitting on top of some pretty old and degrading asphalt. I am contemplating a cheap floor covering to spruce it up a bit. I have thought of everything from foam or rubber interlocking mats, to carpet remnants. The best deal I can find is some cheap rubber interlocking mats are harbor freight for $0.59 per sq/ft. The hangar is a bit over 1000 sq/ft I would really like to be in the $0.30 per sq/ft or less range. Any ideas? At the very least I will put some cheap carpet remnants or something in one of the wing areas of the T to make a lounging area, as my Sonex has a substantially shorter span than the hangar can hold. Any ideas?

U talken 'bout these: http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-4-pc-61607.html ?

I had (key word - had) similar foam mats (probably from home depot) in the lab at school. They are great until you start rolling things over them - we have wheeled stools - and they just made the foam stretch and buckle. Picked them up and got rid of them. Something wide like an aircraft tire may or may not cause the same problems.

I recently started renting a T-Hangar that I got a great deal on, and best of all, is maybe 30 steps away from where I work. The only problem is that it is sitting on top of some pretty old and degrading asphalt. I am contemplating a cheap floor covering to spruce it up a bit. I have thought of everything from foam or rubber interlocking mats, to carpet remnants. The best deal I can find is some cheap rubber interlocking mats are harbor freight for $0.59 per sq/ft. The hangar is a bit over 1000 sq/ft I would really like to be in the $0.30 per sq/ft or less range. Any ideas? At the very least I will put some cheap carpet remnants or something in one of the wing areas of the T to make a lounging area, as my Sonex has a substantially shorter span than the hangar can hold. Any ideas?

If the asphalt is uneven and crumbling, the interlocking mats will unlock and become a pain in the ass.... I would suggest carpet remnants...

Fast, cheap and decent looking..

Thanks for the info on those rubber mats. Those are indeed exactly what I was talking about. The asphalt is cracking, crumbling, and deteriorating. I guess I'll browse some sketchy carpet stores for super cheap remnants. Anyone have any idea of how to keep it somewhat held to the asphalt?

Thanks for the info on those rubber mats. Those are indeed exactly what I was talking about. The asphalt is cracking, crumbling, and deteriorating. I guess I'll browse some sketchy carpet stores for super cheap remnants. Anyone have any idea of how to keep it somewhat held to the asphalt?

I hope it's really dry in your hangar, moldy carpet is one of the nastiest things one can do to a surface.

Why not just fix the asphalt?

Hanger owner might be willing to work some kind of deal out for repairs. If everyone's floor is in need of repair you all could split the cost to get the whole thing fixed :dunno: Might be worth it to get a couple free estimates.

Why not just fix the asphalt?

The hangar in question is at a busy class D airport with a rather large GA presence, mostly jets. There are 4 privately owned T Hangars that have been set on an area of the ramp that is unused but owned by a large national FBO. The hangar owners pay the FBO to lease the ramp area for their hangars. The FBO has no desire to fix the asphalt. The hangar owners have even less desire to spend the money to fix the asphalt that they do not own. And me as a renter have the least desire to pay to fix the asphalt.

If it stays dry, carpet works.
Sakrete makes asphalt patch. They sell it in 50 pound bags. It might be worth a try.

that green outdoor carpet stuff should do the trick
We used that green indoor/outdoor stuff in our hangars in Iowa, with good results. It's porous enough to let moisture through (no mold) and thick enough to keep the rocks and dust down.

We stretched it taut and secured it with tent stakes. It lasted many years.

Back