Hangar door operator problem: Brake slips, door slowly comes down

Flying Lizard

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Lizard
I wonder anybody could help with this. The pic is the unit that raises and lowers a 42' bifold hangar door. The manufacturer is history (believe me, I've tried!).

The top image is labeled:
A = Solenoid. It's energized to release the brake when UP or DOWN button is pushed. It pulls the lever marked "C" toward the camera.
B = The brake, apparently. Sometimes it holds, but sometimes when the door is put up, it slips and the door slowly comes down as the motor spins. This is the problem.
C = A tab on the brake - It's there so the brake could be disengaged manually, in case of a power failure. I noticed if I pushed on it when the door was free-wheeling down, it would stop it. So I put the gold spring on there, with blue wires, to pull on it a bit. It's working well, but I'm concerned the brake is worn out, and it might not be very long and it'll lose it's grip again.

Any thoughts on how I could get this back in tip-top shape? I was hoping to repair or replace the brake, or perhaps replace the brake and motor with a new motor with an integral brake...

Clipboard.jpg

Last edited:
Is it a Wilson?

Whoever built that assembly probably did not manufacture his own brake. That brake is probably a standard part from somewhere.

I would first look it over carefully for any manufacturer name or part number markings.

If that does not lead to success, which it probably will not, then Grainger would be my next destination. Unfortunately, I just searched grainger.com for "brake" and got 3000 hits. You might get lucky poking around there, though. Next step would be to send them pix and see if you get lucky/someone in their support dept. recognizes the brake.

You could also try McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) but probably their inventory will more or less duplicate Grainger's. Maybe their support would be worth a try anyway.

It shouldn't take much braking force to hold the door if the counterweight is adequate. Maybe see if adding to it will help. Be careful, though, there is a lot of energy stored in a raised 42' door.

The service call might be a bit expensive, but your local company that works on overhead hangar doors will probably have seen examples of this particular operator and may know where to get parts (or may know that parts are NLA!).

Is it a Wilson?

Thanks for the replies! Here's the ID tag. I've scanned McMaster & Grainger, but no luck so far. I think I'll just have to pop that drive pulley off, remove the brake and see exactly what is worn out. I understand a new unit is about $1500... I'd sure rather put a $10 shoe in that sucka!

IMG_20130602_163601.jpg

I'd look into why only the outside edge of the brake appears worn. May be only getting half the resistance needed.

Wilson's unit is very similar in appearance, and might contain some of the same components. I think they're still in business and might be worth a call. They had a location in Addison, TX for some time, not sure if it's still there. I've found that the survivors in most industries know quite a bit about their competitors and former competitors.

Thanks for the replies! Here's the ID tag. I've scanned McMaster & Grainger, but no luck so far. I think I'll just have to pop that drive pulley off, remove the brake and see exactly what is worn out. I understand a new unit is about $1500... I'd sure rather put a $10 shoe in that sucka!

IMG_20130602_163601.jpg

I sent a link to this post to Wilson along with my plea for help. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good luck - please report back with what you find.

Call a local garage door guy who does COMMERCIAL work. That kind of mechanism is identical to the sort of openers that they use on LARGE commercial doors. It's amazing how much my commercial jackscrew opener that I have on my heavy (solid wood) two car garage door and my hangar door.

Back