Hangar Cost

260 for T-hangar with enough extra space for a boat in Fayetteville NC...

Attachments

• DSCN4864.JPG
    DSCN4864.JPG
    592.5 KB · Views: 30
$400 for a newer t-hanger with electric bi-fold door, lights and cement floor at KJWN. There is also enough room to house our fridge, 3 sofas and a rocking chair.

Last edited:
I paid $295/mo for a falling-down circa 1937 open front hangar with a leaking A/C unit hanging precipitously over my right wing and a flock of pigeons with a really bad case of terminal diahrrea. It did have an overhead light and a power outlet.

I'm on a tie-down now, but am optimistic about a better hangar for the new plane.

At KBED, my hangar went from $346/month in 2003 to $400-something to
$505/month to $606/month (at which time I bailed) to $626/month in 2007.
I think Ma$$port raised the rate again or are about to.

This is for a hanger with electric bi-fold door, one 15-amp circuit, no heat,
asphalt floor, and crappy ice. Plus we have to deal with the idiotic airport
"security" at KBED. oh yeah, this hangar is only big enough for single
or a *very* small twin.

$90 a month for an older T-hangar in a row without interior walls, electric bi-fold door, no heat, asphalt floor, facing south (important in Minnesota in the winter!). They range from $70-120 here, depending on whether they're the new ones with interior walls and which way they face.

WELL Scott, when i was in a hangar at KCXY i was paying $ 285 a month for a TeeHangar, Then the airport FBO management changed and my rent went to $497 a month and i said SCREW YOU. I'm hoping SARAA (susquehanna airport auth.)will step in and bring the prices back to something sensable then i'll put it back in a hangar, till then i'm tied down at $50 a month
Dave G.

I'm in So Cal, about 45 miles inland. $280 for a "portable" which means; no elect., no water, asphalt floor, less than 18" clearance on both wings. It works. Full protection, just not the place for a cool 'hangar party". :frown3: Next step up is "T" for $428/mo. Other airports have two year waiting lists.

I'm at Montgomery Field in San Diego. The payments on a nice house would be cheaper than you can rent a beat up old T hanger for. I am on "the list" waiting for a covered tie down that would protect some of my plane from the sun and possibly a hail storm.

Right now the cost for that is $288.00 per month. An open tie down is $145.00 a month, where I am now. They raise their rent around the first of every year, I would guess that covered tie down will will be over $300.00 in a few months.

John

I'm at Montgomery Field in San Diego. The payments on a nice house would be cheaper than you can rent a beat up old T hanger for. I am on "the list" waiting for a covered tie down that would protect some of my plane from the sun and possibly a hail storm.

Right now the cost for that is $288.00 per month. An open tie down is $145.00 a month, where I am now. They raise their rent around the first of every year, I would guess that covered tie down will will be over $300.00 in a few months.

John

:yikes:

I bought my hangar for $1000. Built in the '70s from used wood, but it's sturdy enough shelter. No heat, no lights, rolling doors, gravel floor. I put steel roofing on it to stop the leaks; it used to rain harder inside the hangar than outside. And I painted it. Total up-front cost came to around $1700.
The lease of the lot is $200 a year and the taxes are $80. Maybe $15 per year for mouse poison. Comes to about $25 per month. Can anyone beat that?

Dan

I bought my hangar for $1000. Built in the '70s from used wood, but it's sturdy enough shelter. No heat, no lights, rolling doors, gravel floor. I put steel roofing on it to stop the leaks; it used to rain harder inside the hangar than outside. And I painted it. Total up-front cost came to around $1700.
The lease of the lot is $200 a year and the taxes are $80. Maybe $15 per year for mouse poison. Comes to about $25 per month. Can anyone beat that?

Dan

WOW! What part of Mexico are you in? :)

John

How much is everyone paying for their hangar space?

OKH hangars are 185 for direct deosit, and 10 more if you rather send a check.

I mow the grass for rent, So I don't send them a check. In April-Augest I mow about every week. Sept thru March once in a while.

Grand Rapids, Mi - T-hangar with t-shaped cement pad, sliding front door = $300/mth

I'm relatively surprised that prices aren't lower around here?!

In Columbus Ohio they just raised the rent at my airport (TZR). Went up from $195 to $200. Electric door, concrete floor, light, two outlets, and enough room to store the Cherokee, my partners jet ski, my Goldwing, and still have room for junk and a couch.

It is pretty sad when some of you pay more in hangar rent than people around here pay for a 4000sf house. Rent in Missouri varies greatly. In Sullivan I paid $66 for an open T-hangar and $135 for enclosed, some of the smaller rural airports only charge $25- $75 for and enclosed.

Grand Rapids, Mi - T-hangar with t-shaped cement pad, sliding front door = $300/mth

I'm relatively surprised that prices aren't lower around here?!

You're at a class C.

$160/month for sharing a fairly large (50'x50' I think) square hangar with 3 other planes - Ray Airport (57D) north of Detroit. Has electricity and electric door, no heat.

When the new T hangars are finished @ M11 the initial rate will be $125 for standard and $150 for corner hangars per month (electric bifold, water, lights). The existing community hangar rate is $95 for singles, more for twins depending on size. I expect the community hangar rate will go up when the new FBO takes over after the first of the year. Right now the 5 ramp tiedowns are free, but that will change after the next ramp reseal when new tiedowns will be installed per the long term airport layout plan.

$400/month at Manassas for a T-Hangar. It was $400+ at Stinson in San Antonio when I left.

This thread is really depressing. I have one small T-hanger at BWI for $580/mo, a spot large enough to park a Columbia 400 in a large, corporate heated hanger for $675/mo. And a spot for my Pitts in a small rectangular hanger with 3 other Pitts for $125/mo. Aircraft housing around the Baltimore Washington area is very scarce and expensive with long waiting lists for hangers at those prices. Judging by what I'm seeing on here, it might be the most expensive place in the country.

KBED has more expensive hangars.

And I forgot to mention that you pay $100 for the privilege of being on the
waiting list (non-refundable, and good for only two years, and doesn't
apply to any rent).

KBED has more expensive hangars.

And I forgot to mention that you pay $100 for the privilege of being on the
waiting list (non-refundable, and good for only two years, and doesn't
apply to any rent).

That sucks. I was on the waiting list for Camarillo for a good half dozen years (they said "maybe six months" when I first inquired). By the time my name came up I had moved, and was no longer interested. At least they refunded my deposit.

I'm in a big (60 X 60?) nearly new insulated hangar with power, lights and electric door for $150. I share it with several hangar queens - but may lose it (it's for sale).

Dave

I own 2/3rds of my 3 stall hangar. The total cost for all three spaces comes to around 220/month. But that's not including what a loan for the purchase price would cost (about 350/month) so I guess the real cost would be 570/3= $190/month per stall. Rents vary from $150 to around $500/month. Ones like mine would probably rent for $250/mo or a little more.

It's definitely depressing- if and when I finally get a plane, I don't know what I'll do, given the situation in my area. Airports seem to be closing faster than they can build hangars.

Can anyone tell me why I never see any high-grade movable shelters set up in tie-down areas? Too big? Concerns about their integrity?

Some of those "tents" seem very safe and durable, and cost a lot less than renting or building a hangar (no foundation needed). I've seen mfrs' sites showing shelters made specifically for aircraft, but I've never seen one at an airport.

$275.00 a month for a T-hanger. Electric Door, lights, cement floor and four outlets. Class C airport.

It's definitely depressing- if and when I finally get a plane, I don't know what I'll do, given the situation in my area. Airports seem to be closing faster than they can build hangars.

Can anyone tell me why I never see any high-grade movable shelters set up in tie-down areas? Too big? Concerns about their integrity?

Some of those "tents" seem very safe and durable, and cost a lot less than renting or building a hangar (no foundation needed). I've seen mfrs' sites showing shelters made specifically for aircraft, but I've never seen one at an airport.

The ones I've seen (mostly used to protect boats) won't stand up to serious winds and I'd have a hard time accepting one placed near my airplane outside out of fear that pieces would be blown into my plane.

Most T hangars in our area are within a few dollars of $200 a month. That is totally enclosed with bi-fold electric doors.

$80.00 a month for a T-Hanger with concrete floor, electricity and rolling doors. A phone call gets the fuel topped off and the heater plugged in.

I think it has to do with the general appearance of the tie down area. I know the FBO where I tie down will not let you leave things like boats and trailers, for more than a day or so.

I believe if various tents were allowed it would start looking like a Gypsy encampment. After a few years half of them would be torn, faded, bent support poles, just a mess in general.

I'm kinda hoping someone will get the brilliant idea of having solar panels on overhead shelters. A lot of juice could be produced in that space.

John

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the general appearance of the tie down area. I know the FBO where I tie down will not let you leave things like boats and trailers, for more than a day or so.

I believe if various tents were allowed it would start looking like a Gypsy encampment. After a few years half of them would be torn, faded, bent support poles, just a mess in general.

I'm kinda hoping someone will get the brilliant idea of having solar panels on overhead shelters. A lot of juice could be produced in that space.

John
I'm not talking about "tents" as in big camping tents or some sort of jerry-rigged pole-and-tarp mess- just some sort of foundation-less, removable shelter made for protecting aircraft from UV, hail, frost, etc.

These, for example, are pretty attractive- more attractive than a lot of old T-hangars I've seen.

http://www.fabricshelters-usa.com/AirplaneHangars-189-25.htm?gclid=CIaX5r3yiZcCFQplHgodxCzK9Q

A fabric structure might weather more quickly, but being owned outright by the aircraft owner, it would have to be kept nice or removed. On the other hand, airport-owned rented hangars are often ruinous, leaky eyesores because the property owner won't spend the money to keep them up properly.

I agree with you about solar power... and why don't I see more shade hangars or open T-hangars north of the Mason-Dixon? at least a shade hangar will keep hail and freezing rain off your baby, and they're cheaper to build and maintain.

WOW! What part of Mexico are you in? :)

John

Small-town western Canadian prairies. There are a few places that aren't overwhelmed by huge demand and the exorbitant prices that result.

Dan

Back