Hangar cost increases

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
"... taxes jumped 300 percent, which means he'll have to pay $40,000 more than in previous years.

... another hangar owner, said he saw an increase of more than 340 percent, costing him an additional $3,000.

"It's the darnedest thing I ever encountered," Ralston said. "This is unfair. This just gave Jeffco County a lot more money in one fell swoop."

The full story can be found here: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5692095,00.html
and here: http://www.jeffconews.com/1editoria...-13&-token.story=202200.112112&-token.subpub=

Last edited:
I guess Jefferson County is trying to keep the rates up there with Denver and Boulder Counties. It will come back to bite at some point.

How's hangar availability at Tri-County? I'm sure Weld County is much kinder.

Ironically, the following issue or maybe Denver Post next day (I'll go dig) had an article about expansion at Erie Municipal (name change recently from Tri-County) with building plans for 52 privately owned hangars (including land) was ready to go ... take that, RMM! :)

Ironically, the following issue or maybe Denver Post next day (I'll go dig) had an article about expansion at Erie Municipal (name change recently from Tri-County) with building plans for 52 privately owned hangars (including land) was ready to go ... take that, RMM! :)
Nice, but now Erie Muni can charge just a shade under what RMM charges, which is still way too much.

yeah, probably right. Might be time for me to move to WY or back to SD, but I'm not ready for divorce, so looks like this is what we have to live with.

Nice, but now Erie Muni can charge just a shade under what RMM charges, which is still way too much.
The kicker at Jeffco is it's the county doing the property value assessments and tax rates. Erie Muni (Tri-County as I knew it) is in Weld County. Weld is pretty conservative, really by a long shot compared to Denver, Boulder or Jefferson. It stretches all way up to Wyoming so it's huge. It would probably make two dozen Denver Counties and at least a half dozen of either Jefferson or Boulder Counties. Its farmers and ranchers don't like taxes.

Holy Cow! Do have them challenge this increased. It is likely with an attorney the increase can be lessened and deferred over a couple of years. I know a VFW in Berwyn, IL got hit with a huge tax increase like this. They challenged it, it took ten years to resolve and the entire time kept paying the lower amount. Eventually the city settled with them for far less than the original amounts and the assessment was changed to a lower value as well.

When i was at Erie in August I noticed they were building new hangars ( Condo I think)

I was paying $300 a month for a new T-hangar at Front Range. All things considered that was pretty good.

Hangars at Stinson in San Antonio are $385/mo....

Back