Hangar building cost

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Ballpark estimate... what's a ~50'x50' hangar cost to build. And build well such that light breezes wont knock walls onto your plane.

@ethanb

Buddy of mine was close to $150k when he recently priced one. His probably included a bathroom.

Same around here in the non-urban areas. I was looking near Silver West (SE of Alamosa). Running $80-90K. Between the land for the house and hangar, then building both, decided against it. Very little is being built around the Denver area. New group of Ts and a couple biggies at KCFO going up but I haven't priced them. No reason, probably more than my house, even in this market.

The estimates will vary regionally. In AK I’d guess that $100 per sq ft would be on the low side and costs are escalating quickly. A friend shelved a hangar build this year because of skyrocketing lumber prices and inability to get trusses this season.

Within 50nm of the Twin Cities a great guy at our airport built a 48x48. Hydraulic door. R50 ceiling insulation. Heated front apron. I think 175k btu forced air heater. Metal ceiling. 5/8" rocked walls. Pretty sure he was around $135k. It is so warm in there in the winter.

I'm sure location plays a role.

He finished about 1yr before Covid. I'd add $25k to that price today for materials.

Ballpark estimate... what's a ~50'x50' hangar cost to build. And build well such that light breezes wont knock walls onto your plane.

@ethanb

All the money you were going to use to buy your second airplane.

Side note, I didn't realize @ethanb was here! Though it seems he's got permanent lurker status so "here" is a bit nebulous. ;)

I think you meant to say the dollar "ain't worth shirt!" because the gov'mint keeps printing a few trillion here and a few trillion there. Everything is UP.

Meh - Plenty of stuff isn't, so I don't think the dollar is that bad. But everyone is building everything possible all of a sudden and raw materials prices are stupid right now.

I’m going with a “Quonset” style. The 40x35 kit runs about $9-12k. I will need concrete footings and slab. I’ll them buildout the ends with 2x6’s, a couple reclaimed windows on the back and an ope front facing west. I’m in south central texas so always nice and warm. A west facing prevents wind from entering and I can always add a sliding door later. I’ll be all in at $25k. I’ll tie the toilet into my homes septic and water.

Back