Hangar at KPTK

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Does anyone know about getting a lease on a hangar at KPTK?

I live in Reno but my wife is from Michigan and we are thinking of getting a summer home there. I'd like to be able to keep my Dakota there from about May-Sept and it would be empty the rest of the time (all winter).

Perhaps I could sub-lease it to someone that wanted to be inside for the winter.

How are hangar leases handled there - via the FBO, the airport, or are they all privately owned?

Does anyone know about getting a lease on a hangar at KPTK?

I live in Reno but my wife is from Michigan and we are thinking of getting a summer home there. I'd like to be able to keep my Dakota there from about May-Sept and it would be empty the rest of the time (all winter).

Perhaps I could sub-lease it to someone that wanted to be inside for the winter.

How are hangar leases handled there - via the FBO, the airport, or are they all privately owned?
Pretty sure they are handled by the county (Oakland); at least, that's the way it was at KVLL, where I was hangared for several years and the lease agreement/documentation referenced KPTK as well.

I would give you the name of the official to contact but that was over 3 years ago now, so there is no guarantee that she (I think it was a she) is still the correct person. If you have any trouble getting the info, the terminal desk at KVLL should be able to steer you in the right direction.

They are handled by Oakland county government, and Y47 / KVLL as well. They also are the most expensive hangers in the area (I am 15 minutes away from KPTK but I hanger at an airport 30 minutes away for about half the cost). I don't recall exactly what they cost, but you can easily look them up online.

Last edited:
Check into Romeo State D98, it's not far from PTK. It's a small podunk airport, but I think you'll find the hangar fees to be much more reasonable.

I do recall that last I checked (maybe 2 months ago) they had lots of open hangars at PTK

Enough vacancies the county is renting them to anyone for [almost] anything.
Never heard of the county reducing the cost just because there were lots of vacancies. That would make sense from a supply/demand POV, but it sure didn't happen at KVLL. I paid $294/mo every month of every year I was there, even as more and more hangars became empty.

I have no idea what they go (went) for at KPTK though; too far away for me, so I never looked into it.

Check into Romeo State D98, it's not far from PTK. It's a small podunk airport, but I think you'll find the hangar fees to be much more reasonable.
By plane it's not "far", but if you're driving to the Pontiac area from D98, it's about an hour drive, sometimes more. Romeo is kind of out of the way for a lot of purposes if you're in the metro Detroit area or even northern suburbs. The best airport for the OP depends on where in the area he is going to be staying.

Another disadvantage for KPTK that hasn't been mentioned is that they're seriously security conscious. In some respects that can be a good thing, but you need to get a badge for entry (at least you did in 2008), which I assume means some kind of vetting procedure. But again, I didn't look into it so I'm not sure how involved it is.

The best airport for the OP depends on where in the area he is going to be staying.
Well sure, but convenience costs $$ and the OP never said exactly where he will be residing.
By plane it's not "far", but if you're driving to the Pontiac area from D98, it's about an hour drive, sometimes more. Romeo is kind of out of the way for a lot of purposes if you're in the metro Detroit area or even northern suburbs.
I don't remember it being an hour or more from Romeo to Pontiac, more like 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. I don't know about you but I'd rather save money and have to drive a little further than vice versa. A little drive wouldn't bother me, but in the end it's just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Never heard of the county reducing the cost just because there were lots of vacancies. That would make sense from a supply/demand POV, but it sure didn't happen at KVLL. I paid $294/mo every month of every year I was there, even as more and more hangars became empty.

I have no idea what they go (went) for at KPTK though; too far away for me, so I never looked into it.

I didn't mean they were renting them cheaply. Some, I have no idea how many, are rented for non-aviation storage.

I don't remember it being an hour or more from Romeo to Pontiac, more like 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. I don't know about you but I'd rather save money and have to drive a little further than vice versa. A little drive wouldn't bother me, but in the end it's just a suggestion.
Could be, but it depends on a lot of things including construction. Best way is probably M-53 down to M-59 just east of Utica, then west on 59 into Pontiac. Much of the way is freeway so you might make good time if conditions are good. But during rush hour or if there is construction, it's going to take a lot longer. I've seen the M-59 freeway at a near standstill due to both factors.

Depending on where the OP is staying, there could be a number of better airports to hangar at, including Y47 and KVLL that have already been mentioned.

I used to hangar at D98 Romeo, back in the day when the owner was an inheritance owner / non-pilot that was running the place into the ground. Not a good place back then but I've heard it is much improved now.
When I looked into PTK, the hangars were ranked in price with Troy VLL the highest, then PTK, then Y47 the least, but all were too much for me.
I'm almost halfway between D98 and PTK, but I don't hangar at either...D95 Lapeer beats them both in price, service, and friendly atmosphere. In this area there is also Livingston Co OZW (expensive too), Ray 57D(smallish), and Canton 1D2(smaller yet).

I used to hangar at D98 Romeo, back in the day when the owner was an inheritance owner / non-pilot that was running the place into the ground. Not a good place back then but I've heard it is much improved now.
When I looked into PTK, the hangars were ranked in price with Troy VLL the highest, then PTK, then Y47 the least, but all were too much for me.
I'm almost halfway between D98 and PTK, but I don't hangar at either...D95 Lapeer beats them both in price, service, and friendly atmosphere. In this area there is also Livingston Co OZW (expensive too), Ray 57D(smallish), and Canton 1D2(smaller yet).
It's been several years since I've been out at D98. Probably 8 years if I had to guess, but I'm familiar with the area up there. At the time, Romeo was looking pretty ragged and could definitely use some TLC, though I wouldn't object to hangaring there. I'd be interested to see how it looks now!

I would be based in Waterford, 2 miles from KPTK. As to security, I had to be vetted for my KRNO badge, so probably not a big deal for KPTK. Been on the phone all morning with NV and MI tax officials figuring out if I am going to be taxed in both places... might be... which would probably kill the whole plan.

NV already gets $1500/yr and KRNO gets $500/mo for a hangar. Michigan seems to want $4500 in use tax to park there, but it is clear as mud if I'd be subjected to that since the airplane is already registered with NV.

I would be based in Waterford, 2 miles from KPTK. As to security, I had to be vetted for my KRNO badge, so probably not a big deal for KPTK. Been on the phone all morning with NV and MI tax officials figuring out if I am going to be taxed in both places... might be... which would probably kill the whole plan.

NV already gets $1500/yr and KRNO gets $500/mo for a hangar. Michigan seems to want $4500 in use tax to park there, but it is clear as mud if I'd be subjected to that since the airplane is already registered with NV.

I can't speak about the use tax, but I'm reasonably sure if you were based in Michigan less than half the year they would recognize your Nevada registration and the taxes you pay there.

I'm a life-long resident of Waterford, retired A&P/IA who worked on PTK for thirty years. Seen the area grow from farm land to what it is today. You haven't said where your wife's family live, but I presume from your post it is in Waterford. For those of us who live here, a summer home is in northern Michigan in rural areas far from the Detroit Metro area, and in rural areas where the taxes are much lower. Oakland County is the highest cost of living county in Michigan and hangar prices at KPTK, KVLL, and Y47 reflect that. As others familiar with the area have pointed out there are options other than those controlled by the county and it's aviation department. Bear in mind that we have several Fortune 500 companies who base their planes here and a couple of busy freight operations. There are options within a reasonable drive time from Waterford. OZW in Howell comes to mind, about a half-hour drive, but there are others, some of which I have no knowledge. OTOH, I would discount 1Delta2. I worked there in the late nineties, and the drive down I-275 is so terrifying even the state police refuse to pull out in traffic. A 2550 ft runway if memory serves, lots of training there, and unless you can get one of the new t-hangars, options suck. Services there were very limited the last time I checked. To the northwest is Linden (9G2). Again, limited services but still a reasonable drive from Waterford. Suggestions by others are also worthy of consideration. If I can be of further assistance feel free to PM me.

Back