Hangar Access

Art Rose

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Art
I've been renting the same hangar for the past 10 or 15 years from a private individual on City owned airport property. This month, the City bought our hangar, and now will be leasing hangar space to us. I know how it works with residential rental property, but am not clear about how access to a City owned hangar works. They are now requiring that we give them keys to our hangar. Do City personnel have the right to enter your hangar any time without your permission?

Yes...all in terms of the lease agreement. Your current lease with previous owner is only as strong as the terms with his lease agreement takeover by the city.

I am at a city owned airport and they have keys to all the hangars, but will notify us prior to entry and give us the option to be present if so desired. Legally they can enter ant time per the lease terms though. Very common.

Might be time to go hangar shopping.

Might be time to go hangar shopping.
When options are nonexistent you best hang on to what you have.
When I rented from the port at BVS they gave me 3 days notice of their entering our hangar.
the three reasons they could go into our hangars were 2 times per year fire safety inspection. actual fire to evacuate, and scheduled maintenance.
I showed up a couple times, then GAFed it off after that.

I always changed the lock after they thought /knew they had one that worked. this happened once every 5 years or so. some how I always forgot to give them the new key when those unreliable locks kept failing!

18e437bb9901400345a9a19dcdbe9e75.jpg

Back