Handy Devices

john smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
john smith
Looking for handy devices to use with/on the airplane while it is parked at AirVenture.

I have three one-foot square by 3/4-inch thick boards that go under my wheels so they don't sink into the dirt. This makes departing much easier.
Stop about a foot shy of where you want the airplane when you arrive, place the boards ahead of the wheels, push the airplane onto the boards.
When you are ready to leave, just push the aircraft forward, pack up the boards, off you go.

It would have come in handy one wet year, but drainage there is generally good.

A good tie down kit (I use the one where you pound three stakes into each tiedown holder at angles) is a must.

I picked up a claw set earlier this week. Told her it was for the camper awning, so we could leave it out at the campgrounds next couple weeks. So far she bought it.

A 12 v. sump pump for the tent floor is the only answer if it rains. And plan to sleep on cots rather than mats.

It would have come in handy one wet year, but drainage there is generally good.

A good tie down kit (I use the one where you pound three stakes into each tiedown holder at angles) is a must.

With all the gadgetry that I use, I decided I needed a way to juice everything up!

So, for last year I bought a briefcase solar panel off eBay and a Black and Decker Battery Booster.

I originally intended to charge everything at night and use the solar panel to top off the battery booster during the day. Unfortunately, the solar panel just didn't put out enough power to charge the booster!

So, I ended up plugging my fan into the solar panel at night and aiming it eastward. That worked GREAT because it's often quite cool at night during the show and you don't really want/need a fan, but as soon as the sun comes up you start to COOK in the tent - This way, my fan kicked in as soon as the sun came up. :yes: During the day, I used the solar panel to charge video camera batteries.

The battery booster I used mainly to charge my iPhone and some other gadgets at night, and I topped it off by plugging it into the plane when I went to pick up Bill Williams (Tuesday) and Troy Whistman (Friday) in Milwaukee. I think I charged it for a couple of hours on the outlets near the showers as well.

I carry bolt cutters. That way I can get whatever I need from the vendor tents in the fly-market.... ;-)

It sure beats having to bring a generator, mini-fridge, and fan in the RV-6.

Never seen racing bike wheels on anything parked in the grass. Reckon what John is flying in there this year?

The C-182 always sinks in... even in dry years in the North 40.

One of my pet peaves is pilots who insist on "powering" out of their camping/parking spot instead of asking for help to pull it out into the center of the aisle before starting up. There is absolutely no excuse for this impolite behavior.

Either we have done a poor job of educating new pilots to proper etiquette at flyins or the selfishness/entitlement attitude of the new pilot population is too ingrained.

Ah, now you've done! You've gotten me into a RANT mode!

Either we have done a poor job of educating new pilots to proper etiquette at flyins
:yes: I think that's the problem. They don't realize until they're leaving that they've sunk in, because they don't think to check for that. A little education can go a long way!
or the selfishness/entitlement attitude of the new pilot population is too ingrained.
I really don't think that this is the problem.:no:

We'll bring one of these with. Hopefully it'll help keep the stuff powered up while there!

Dynamo Pro 17 12-Volt DC Power Station

• A portable 17 amp-hour, DC power supply
  • Two 12V "cigarette lighter" output ports (10 amps max.) plus 3V, 6V, and 9V male pin jack outputs
  • Fully rechargeable and includes 110V AC and 12V DC charging adapters
  • Includes removable red flashlight, 55-watt white halogen spotlight, and AM/FM radio
  • Includes booster cables to jump-start a weak car battery and circuit breaker fuse for safe operation

The only thing this feature-packed field battery doesn't do is toast! It's a portable 17 amp-hour, DC power supply with two 12V "cigarette lighter" output ports (10 amps max.), plus 3V, 6V, and 9V male pin jack outputs. It's fully rechargeable, and 110V AC and 12V DC charging adapters are included. An indicator light tells you when the battery needs recharging.
The Dynamo Pro 17 has other features that make it indispensable not only for observing sessions but also around the house and in vehicles for emergency situations.

• Removable red flashlight with 11' cable and magnetic mount
  • Bright, 55-watt white halogen spotlight
  • AM/FM radio for entertainment or emergency broadcasts
  • Booster cables to jump-start a weak car battery (250 cranking amps, 5 seconds)
  • Circuit breaker fuse for safe operation
How did we ever manage without the Dynamo Pro 17? It'll keep you powered up as well as prepared for any emergency, at home or on the road. Weighs 19 lbs., 12 oz.

Back