Handpropping a Cub

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
A fellow POAer and I flew the Cub today doing three-point landings. We had some fun and he hand-propped for the first time today.

Ryan

Last edited:
It is easy for a small engine that is in proper working order. I've hand propped a 65HP Aeronca Champ. All it took was a simple flick.

Also, notice how he was holding onto the door jamb (I think it was) as he flicked the prop. This prevented him from falling into the prop. He did a good job. There's nothing to be afraid of. You just have to pay attention and keep your wits.

Doc

Last edited:
Works a little better with metal props, but if you "bounce" the prop against the compression before swinging it through, it takes a bit less effort. Less effort is always a good thing when it comes to handpropping.

I hand-prop my A-65 all the time. It takes one hand, little effort. An O-320 takes a bit more. An IO-520 gets truly interesting.

Dan

It is easy for a small engine that is in proper working order. There's nothing to be afraid of. You just have to pay attention and keep your wits.Doc

That probably is true, in general, pending conditions.

:eek:)

Attachments

• Prop Safety.jpg
    Prop Safety.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 47
OMG it wasn't tied down. Oh the horrors

First time I've seen a cub propped from the back. Does every one do that?

First time I've seen a cub propped from the back. Does every one do that?

Hmm, must also be the first time you've seen a Cub. :) Not everyone, but very common. When propping solo, you can have your hand on the throttle as soon as the engine fires. Can't do that propping from the front. The strut arrangement of the Cub makes this possible, unlike others, ie. Aeronca Champ.

Hey Ryan,

I watched the video of the Cub landing at Boerne Stage - nice.. liked the music too

Good job David.. looked like fun

I gotta get a hand crank for the Yukon. Post that puppy on YouTube and all you nostalgia buffs would be all over it. ;)

I hand-prop my A-65 all the time. It takes one hand, little effort. An O-320 takes a bit more. An IO-520 gets truly interesting.

Dan

Only one I've ever done was an O-320, wasn't too bad but a litte work was involved

I think the biggest I've ever handpropped was a Cherokee 180. That isn't my idea of fun, but doable.

Ryan

I think the biggest I've ever handpropped was a Cherokee 180. That isn't my idea of fun, but doable.

Ryan

Don't see much hand propping in my future, I try hard not hand prop planes with starters, I think it should be avoided when ever possible.

However sometimes you do what you must...

Ryan
Heck, we tried hand propping a Beech Sierra on the way to Wings this year. Didn't work, though. Leslie needed to work her magic on the panel, then it started with the starter.

I was once asked to hand prop a Navajo, had to decline
Reason one it's a high compression 540, no thanks
Two, had to explain the function of a starting vibrator.

Hmm, must also be the first time you've seen a Cub. :) Not everyone, but very common. When propping solo, you can have your hand on the throttle as soon as the engine fires. Can't do that propping from the front. The strut arrangement of the Cub makes this possible, unlike others, ie. Aeronca Champ.

I flew Cubs back in the 80s. It was either tied down for propping or someone was in the pilot seat that knew what they were doing.

I flew Cubs back in the 80s. It was either tied down for propping or someone was in the pilot seat that knew what they were doing.
I can assure you that there was someone reasonably competent in the front seat... that said, I don't think it's excessively dangerous to do it this way solo. In the Cub's setup, because you can get to the throttle and magnetos quickly, you'd have to be fairly incompetent (and yes, I know that there are such out there) to lose the plane.

Ryan

Back