Handheld

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
Is there a handheld setup where you can plug in headphones and listen AND talk on the headphones through the handheld (pushing the handheld push to talk)?

All the major brands offer that.

Yes. Usually you need a PTT switch wired to the headset; the PTT button the radio itself activates the internal microphoe.

Not understanding the PTT button post, I just use the PTT button on the handheld when it's connected to the headset and it uses the headset mic, not the handheld

Not understanding the PTT button post, I just use the PTT button on the handheld when it's connected to the headset and it uses the headset mic, not the handheld

Affirmative. All the AV radios come with the coupler. I've actually had to use mine when the panel plugs shorted out.

Vertex makes good stuff, rechargeable batteries, metal housings, made in Japan

The adaptor shown in post #3 does not have provision for a PTT; it uses the PTT on the handheld as you describe and plugging in the adpator disables the handheld microphone so the headset microphone can be used.

On my iCom I have the adaptor in the pic below. The small, third female jack is for an auxiliary PTT switch that can be velcro attached to the yoke if desired and used in place of the PTT on the handheld.

11-18537.jpg

And if you plan to use very much, get an external antenna or a connection to one of the planes antennas.

Thread hijack!
Anyone have a suggestion\recommendation for a box to allow 2 headsets on one hand held radio, for intercom purposes?

Thanks

Thread hijack!
Anyone have a suggestion\recommendation for a box to allow 2 headsets on one hand held radio, for intercom purposes?

Thanks

Once in a while, over the years, I've used one of these:

https://www.sigtronics.com/air/spo.html

I guess you'd plug headsets into it, then plug the intercom into the handheld headset adapter. The PDF that's on that page shows all the connections, but it shows the final connection going into the panel jacks and not a handheld.

edit:

They do say this (my emphasis added):

High Noise Environment N Series

The Transcom II is available in High Noise Environment version. The SPO N Series intercoms incorporate special high-noise circuitry that works well in ultra-lights, helicopters, open cockpit aircraft, and with hand held radios.

Vertex makes good stuff, rechargeable batteries, metal housings, made in Japan

Are they actually still manufacturing in Japan? Some of their non-aviation product line isn't made there anymore, AFAIK. Doesn't matter really, but now I'm curious.

The headset adapter on the VTX works just that way. You use the PTT on the radio with your headset mic.

I've got two of the SPO intercoms. The reason that it has a separate PTT jack is because many of the PTT switches MUTE the mic audio when you're not pushing the button. Obviously, this means your VOX intercom isn't going to work. So rather than running the mic plug from the headset into the PTT and then into the intercom, they give you a separate place to plug in the mic plug.

Jim's RST intercom does it a different way. They just tell you to put the PTT after the intercom and IIRC they run two mic outs from the intercom, just incase you have two mic inputs on the panel (and separate ptt switches built in).

Are they actually still manufacturing in Japan? Some of their non-aviation product line isn't made there anymore, AFAIK. Doesn't matter really, but now I'm curious.

I have the little navcom one, 700 or 710 or something, still made in Japan.

IISXbig__02191.1293707053.1280.1280.jpg

I prefer the Flightcom portable intercoms for using 2 headsets, the are small, simple, fairly inexpensive and work very well in noisy cockpits and long as you don't have a cheap headset with a microphone That doesn't cancel out the background noise. I have been using them for instructing in Champs, Cubs, and T-crafts with no electrical systems for over 20 years.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2...2/IISXbig__02191.1293707053.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

i use a setup with the flightcom intercom above ,yeasu radio,commant antenna,dc active headsets ,an a push to talk switch recommended by the seller. so brcase is totals correct

Back